Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started on Bac

Hi,

Im new here and after my third home detox, i have been prescribed baclofen. Im in Liverpool, UK and the alcohol team at the hospital are fantastic. However i am concerned...I am reading about the doses people are taking and I have been prescribed 10mg 3times a day, then after four days going up to 20mg 3 times a day. I know its an individual thing but i am going to feel any benefits from such a low dose. I just want to stop drinking and relieve my anxiety. Thanks for listening, i cannot go back to the hell i went through due to my drinking (p.s. just found out my liver is fine so thats a bonus...god knows how its working after what ive drunk!!!)

Regards
    ?It's just a ride.?
    ― Bill Hicks

Just started on Bac

robbieL;1454883 wrote: Hi,

Im new here and after my third home detox, i have been prescribed baclofen. Im in Liverpool, UK and the alcohol team at the hospital are fantastic. However i am concerned...I am reading about the doses people are taking and I have been prescribed 10mg 3times a day, then after four days going up to 20mg 3 times a day. I know its an individual thing but i am going to feel any benefits from such a low dose. I just want to stop drinking and relieve my anxiety. Thanks for listening, i cannot go back to the hell i went through due to my drinking (p.s. just found out my liver is fine so thats a bonus...god knows how its working after what ive drunk!!!)

Regards
    Hi Robbie - I'm in the USA where most physicians have no knowledge or understanding of baclofen for the treatment of alcoholism. I've read The End of My Addiction. I read a lot because I enjoy reading. So... my understanding is that baclofen is started slowly and then builds up in the body. The hope is that it will curtail or stop your cravings. It worked for the author of the book and it has worked for many people. I have not tried it. Baclofen is safe at high doses (according to the book), in fact it may not be effective until high doses are achieved.

Yes, you just want to stop drinking. Yes, we all want out of the hell of alcoholism. We also want to relieve our anxiety, which often leads us to "the bottle" in the first place.

The human liver is not a very interesting topic, to most, but I find it to be fascinating. It takes an enormous amount of abuse and keeps on ticking. But... my dear friend, there comes a point when our precious liver can no longer carry on. We are then, essentially, toast. Done for.

I want to listen, Dear Robbie, because I need to listen. I am an alcoholic too.

Keep posting. Keep talking. Many here will lend a hand, guide you, strengthen you, love you. And you will do your part. Be honest - Stay honest. :welcome:
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Just started on Bac

Thanks so much Tess. As soon as i got my results back, my doctor said not to forget that the liver will not last forever if i continue to drink despite it being ok. Lovely response though much appreciated
      ?It's just a ride.?
      ― Bill Hicks

Comment

Just started on Bac

Robbi... There is a meds section here so if you don't get the answers you need copy and paste your question in a new thread there.

Baclofen works when used methodically I understand.

And jump into the newbies nest to join others early in their quit. And read, read, read then post, post, post.
        You are not alone now , you can quit this.

Comment

Working...
        X