Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden overwhelming thoughts and desire for alcohol

Hi all

After 11 weeks of no alcohol, making steady progress and feeling reallt positive, I feel like suddenly over the past week I've gone back about a hundred steps.

For some bloody reason I feel consumed by comstant thoughts of alcohol and have a strong desire for alcohol. Keep pondering over the thought that maybe I can now moderate and how lovely it would be to have a drink on certain occasions, eh at a wedding I'm going to next week.

I used to be able to fend off any thoughts along these lines but doesn't seem to be happening over the past week. Starting to feel increasingly edgy, agitated and downright miserable. Can't seem to get away from wanting to drink grrr.

Head actually feels fried!! What the feck is going on - is it normal for this to suddenly hit like this out of nowhere?

JJ.....I have just posted on this very subject on newbies nest.

What you are feeling is normal, the 'what now' stage, the 'maybe I can moderate' thoughts that have let addictive thinking back in.

I am online for a bit.....check that post and some from earlier today on NN and we can talk further.

PM me if you want

Comment

In my experience cravings usually pass pretty quickly, especially if you do something to put it out of your mind. For example for me, the post-workout endorphin rush is usually pretty effective at quashing any cravings for alcohol. I can't think of a time I want to drink less than when I come out of the gym.

Comment

aihflvt;1455728 wrote: In my experience cravings usually pass pretty quickly, especially if you do something to put it out of your mind. For example for me, the post-workout endorphin rush is usually pretty effective at quashing any cravings for alcohol. I can't think of a time I want to drink less than when I come out of the gym.
        The problem for JJ is not cravings per se AIH and may require a different fix

Comment

JJ, We really did just talk about this over in the NN! If you still have The Voices, you still got the MONKEY! Don't fall for it. It's the last gasp of AL trying to tell you things that aren't true. Remember, we didn't drink like the people you are remembering in your airbrushed memory/fantasy....we drank desperately from bottles we hid in the closet. We didn't drink for the enjoyment, we drank out of addiction....never happy with the drink we had, always wanting/obsessing over the NEXT one! Am I true? Ride this one out just like you have ridden out the other ones. There are also PLENTY of threads that have been started by people who are just SICK that they listened to Dick Head. You don't want to be one of them. You do not have to drink to fit in...remember, Sober IS the new drunk. Don't give in no matter what and no matter who. You will NEVER be sorry you're sober! I promise! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

i have the same thoughts right now jingle
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

paulywogg;1455739 wrote: i have the same thoughts right now jingle
              Then go read today's nest Pauly and also the 100 day thread.

Pauly, you are such a trier, I so want to see the successful sober you. If you need to PM me do. DON'T PICK THAT SCAB!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I read the posts in the NN and of course it all makes perfect sense. Tbh I haven't been visiting here regularly recently and maybe that's contributed to things slipping and my defenses getting low. It's as if all the horrific shit was suddenly erased from my memory leaving only airbrushed visions as you say Byrdlady.

I'm gonna have to ressurect a plan of reading n posting here and also books and online reading. I felt pretty strong for so long there n then fell away from here n stopped reading. Defo not ready to take my eye off the ball like that.

It's really scared and confused me tbh due to the intensity of it a this past week!

Comment

I have just remembered something else JJ.

Between 60 and 100 days my moods were all over the place. Wake up fine, then down and tetchy, tired and low. Not all day but parts of days for 3-4 days at a time. Then fine and very upbeat for the same time. A cycle that I feared would not stop. Then four weeks ago IT DID.

I now feel normally.....my mood is appropriate for the circumstance. I have had no depressed feelings for weeks as there is nothing depressing in my life.

I am not euphoric either......just...well....normal

Comment

I KNOW just what you mean, JJ. Dick Head is THE most cunning opponent I've ever encountered. He lies just below the surface, makes you THINK you've got a handle and then springs up, just to test you and see if you REALLY mean it. It's Kuya's classic spoiled child. The more you give in, the nastier that kid gets too. Do not budge! Protect your quit with all you've got, cause if you are like me...it's all you've got! Everything else crumbles without that foundation....
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

kuya;1455762 wrote: I have just remembered something else JJ.

Between 60 and 100 days my moods were all over the place. Wake up fine, then down and tetchy, tired and low. Not all day but parts of days for 3-4 days at a time. Then fine and very upbeat for the same time. A cycle that I feared would not stop. Then four weeks ago IT DID.

I now feel normally.....my mood is appropriate for the circumstance. I have had no depressed feelings for weeks as there is nothing depressing in my life.

I am not euphoric either......just...well....normal
                      I think that's what has really thrown me over the past week - I had been feeling consistently pretty normal for the past couple of months and was loving my new found normality and stability, then WHAM I was suddenly up and down and all over the place and consumed by AL thoughts. Hopefully I can get back on an even keel and progress forwards again.

Thanks x

Comment

JingleJo;1455761 wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. I read the posts in the NN and of course it all makes perfect sense. Tbh I haven't been visiting here regularly recently and maybe that's contributed to things slipping and my defenses getting low. It's as if all the horrific shit was suddenly erased from my memory leaving only airbrushed visions as you say Byrdlady.

I'm gonna have to ressurect a plan of reading n posting here and also books and online reading. I felt pretty strong for so long there n then fell away from here n stopped reading. Defo not ready to take my eye off the ball like that.

It's really scared and confused me tbh due to the intensity of it a this past week!
                        Sorry JJ....I missed this post earlier and was REALLY worried cos I thought you had just logged off.

I firmly believe my quit has stayed easy because of all the hours I put in here. Reading posting thinking about and around the problems and risks.

I remarked to a poster the other day, one who has slipped repeatedly but hardly ever logs in, that I dedicated 4 hours every night for 23 years to becoming an alcoholic so the TWO hours a day I spend here to get well is NOTHING. I am prepared to do this for minimum two years.....the period I read to be relatively safe against relapse.

Comment

Byrdlady;1455763 wrote: I KNOW just what you mean, JJ. Dick Head is THE most cunning opponent I've ever encountered. He lies just below the surface, makes you THINK you've got a handle and then springs up, just to test you and see if you REALLY mean it. It's Kuya's classic spoiled child. The more you give in, the nastier that kid gets too. Do not budge! Protect your quit with all you've got, cause if you are like me...it's all you've got! Everything else crumbles without that foundation....
                          A spoiled child - I like that analogy!!

Yip, I need to focus on protecting my quit and re-engaging with recognising all the good things that have happened since I quit and what is at stake if I start again.

Thank you x

Comment

Oops cross post ...how odd ...we must be synced !

Comment

kuya;1455924 wrote: Sorry JJ....I missed this post earlier and was REALLY worried cos I thought you had just logged off.

I firmly believe my quit has stayed easy because of all the hours I put in here. Reading posting thinking about and around the problems and risks.

I remarked to a poster the other day, one who has slipped repeatedly but hardly ever logs in, that I dedicated 4 hours every night for 23 years to becoming an alcoholic so the TWO hours a day I spend here to get well is NOTHING. I am prepared to do this for minimum two years.....the period I read to be relatively safe against relapse.
                              Aww that's really nice of you to have been worried - I forgot how supportive this forum is.

I think it's probably no coicidence that my mood and outlook started to go downhill when I stopped frequenting here regularly, so I am gonna make a bigger effort to log on each day again as it defo helped before xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X