Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company needed for Day 1 - Please and Thanks

Hello all

I was a Member of this wonderful community back in 2007 (under a different name) and I see that many of my old friends are still here and doing great – what a great shame for my family that I gave up my alcohol free days – they were the best days ever – the happiest my family and I have ever been.

To summarize, I am a Mum to four wonderful children – wonderful husband – I hold down a full time job, but I still manage to drink 1-2 bottles of wine every evening. My husband can take it or leave it – it really doesn’t bother him – he is just as happy with a soft drink – I am so jealous. He doesn’t even try to discourage me from drinking now – he just lets me get on with it. I class myself as a “functioning alcoholic” as I am never absent from work due to alcohol and get through the days OK – but I’m always desperate to get home so I can pop the wine whilst I start preparing the evening meal, and then I just can’t stop. My latest ploy is just to have one bottle of wine at home so I have no choice in the matter. I have seen myself not even being in the mood to drink (not often) but still something makes me uncork a bottle and of course off I go.

Every morning I tell myself the same thing – not today – but still I continue – but today I want to try to start the alcohol free journey once again – One day at a time, so this is Day 1 for me. I don’t have much to say at the moment but I just wanted already to sign up so I have somewhere to report to every day.

There is so much more to say – so many familiar stories to tell - but that’s the basics – and I really want to get started - I was also wondering if anyone else would be starting off today as Day 1 – maybe we could start together as some company would be nice?

Thanks very much for listening,

Snowflake
    If you don't know where you are going,
    you'll end up someplace else.

Hi Snowflake and welcome back.

I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to drink but uncorking the bottle anyway, it's the reason most of us are here

I expect you will find a quit buddy soon enough, but jump into the newbies nest as well. Loads there are in the early days of their quit.

Comment

Hiya Snow and :welcome:

Im not on day 1, but i was there not too many days ago.
      If you've been here before then you prob know the drill better than I.

Jump into the newbies nest where you'll receive alot of support and guidance from our wise members and also maybe hook-up with someone in or around the same stage.

Check-out the tool box which is in the Abstinance section i think! Or just read around the many threads. Someone wiser will be along and prob post these links for you.

Be prepared in your first few days/week to take things easy, eat plenty of what you fancy, drink plenty of water or whatever AF drinks you like, be gentle and kind with yourself.

Best wishes for your journey x

Comment

Hi Snowflake and :welcome:
        That is EXACTLY my story except I have two, not four children....no exaggeration....I am a highly functioning alcoholic when drinking...husband just let me go at it because I had it under "control".
        come over to the newbie nest. I don't know if it is me being really ready this time or luck, but I feel the newbies nest these days is full of very wonderful, supportive people.. Check it out!!
        I just won't anymore

Comment

Soory Kuya by the time i typed my post you'd already posted!

Comment

Hi Snowflake! I'm back on Day 1 after a short AF stint. I have plans for tonight that will get me through my 'witching hours'. Do you? Can you plan a trip out with your family to keep you alcohol-free? A movie, a museum, anything?

Come over to the Newbie's Nest as Kuya said. I'll be checking in frequently today as well. We can do this together!
            Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Hi snowflake I am also on Day 1 and would be very happy to buddy up with you

Take care
              Patrice

Comment

I know how you feel

I am new on here....Finally I have admitted to myself that I do need some kind of help!!!

I am married with a nearly 2 year old...and even just being open and admitting that I have somekind of problem is weird but promising for me.

I don't drink every day...but if I do it's usually wine....I will drink in the day and then try to pretend to myself and my husband that I haven't been drinkung....He really hates it and this is now causing a serious problem in my marriage.....I don't want it to end so this is why I am here....

I am understanding that I am the kind of person that can't just have a few drinks...It's either none or quite a lot!!!!! But I'm not that sure of how to go about it or how I will feel in situations where other people are drinking and I won't be able to!!! HELP....

ANy advise would be greatly appreciated...I need to keep my family together...

Thanx for listening S xxx:new:

Comment

Thank you so much to each and every one of you for all your kind messages of support, which have humbled me and brought tears to my eyes.

I did think of going over to the Newbies Nest but was frightened of getting lost in there ? but I will now post my introduction there also as you have made me feel very welcome ? thank you so much for that!

Thank you so very much Siren 136 and Patrice for starting this Day 1 with me. I was wondering if we could possibly stay on this thread to start off the journey or do you want to continue in the Newbies Nest?

S1179 will you join us? ? You seem to be quite young ? you are lucky in that you see that you have a problem and are wanting to do something about it. Better to get it sorted out now as it only gets worse as the years go on ? it takes more and more wine or whatever to quench the thirst. As you said you have you family to think about so let?s get you sorted out now! It?s not easy ? but at least you are willing to start and that?s the first step!

Siren136 ? The Witching Hour and my Plan for tonight? ? First thing is ? I will not buy wine at the store, and I know I won?t because I have to report back to you guys tomorrow ? great thing about having buddies! And secondly, I am going to read ?Kick the Drink Easily? by Jason Vale.

So, instead of preparing a gourmet meal for my family tonight ? I will prepare something ?Normal? and spend much less time in the kitchen and will get stuck into my book instead! I always put myself last ? but tonight I will think of myself ? anything to try to get my/our family life back to some sort of normality.

Looking forward to hearing more about you all, thanks again.

Snowflake

Comment

Hi Snowflake I think it's important to look after yourself at this point so good on you for foregoing the gourmet meal for tonight!!

I am a single mum of a 7 year old and I live in Malaysia.. so have to post at really strange times.. but I am happy to post on this thread. The NN is great but I can never keep up again because of the time difference.. I am posting a lot today because it is half term and Chinese New Year so we are on hols.

Feel free to look up my story, I've been here a while. I don't have too much of a problem stopping booze but have big challenges staying stopped. I posted a thread about moderation today, the latest and failed attempt I have made.

Be strong, I'm really happy to be your pal in this quit

Take care
                    Patrice

Comment

Hi Snowflake,
                      I am back to day one and think it's a great idea to find a buddy for encouragement. I had 25 AF days from mid Nov to mid December but then the "come have a drink" during the holidays got the best of me. 56 days later, I have had only one night where I did not drink wine. So, I have a goal of two consecutive days, then a week, then two weeks, until it adds up to a long AF time. Let's check in with each other in the evening.
                      Free at Last
                      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Thank Patrice for offering to be my pal and also for staying with me on this thread ? I have not read your stories ? but look forward to reading them very soon. At least you try stopping which is great ? my last attempt at stopping was in 2007. I see that you are a single Mum ? that must be hard also.

Thanks also Free At Last and well done for your 25 days ? that?s great ? and of course it?s always that ?come have a drink? that brings it all crashing down. Already ? I have declined one invite out for this week as I know I am not strong enough to drink NON-AL when everyone else is drinking AL ? sad but that?s how it is for me. I know when I last gave up I had to be totally unsociable! I did great for months on end but feel it was cheating really as I never faced up to any real challenges. Anyway, for me it?s one day at a time for the moment ? I have never been able to moderate and it terrifies me to think I might never be able to, so one day at a time, that?s a big enough challenge for me!

Yes, let?s check in tonight ? that would be nice!

Thanks to all

Snowflake

Comment

Just checking in with the Day 1ers. Took the dog for a walk and brought no money so I could not buy wine on the way home. Listened to the abstinence tape and am now drinking as much water as I can tolerate. Hope everyone is doing ok with day one! Have to save feeling accountable to you all helped me get through the rough, late afternoon/early evening hours. Thanks.
                          Free at Last
                          "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                          http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Sorry I Missed You Last Night

Well done Free At Last, that's brilliant news. I did check in last night but somehow managed to miss your post so sorry about that. That was a good plan not to take any money when you walked your dog, you must be feeling great today that you are back on the right track - one day at a time. I hope that you are feeling ready for another day on this wonderful journey.

I managed to get through last night (first night of trying since 2007), mainly because I knew that I would be checking in with yourself and Patrice - so thank you both for being my buddies!

I spent much less time in the kitchen and instead of getting high on my own on my nightly fix of wine, I dived into my new book Kick the Drink Easily and looked for you both on MWO, and browsed through the site - very inspirational.

So happy today that I managed Day 1 - thumping headache - but that's news I'm doing something right I suppose.

I will write in the Newbies Nest later on but just wanted to say thanks.

Good luck for today - Day 2 - Stay strong.

Snowflake

Comment

Hi Snowflake how are you doing? I too have a hideous headache that I have had all day.. Also been incredibly short tempered.. but I know that passes .. We'll keep this thing going!!!!

Day 2 nearly over for me.. tired but know I wont be able to sleep.. oh well thats ok because I'm on holiday at the mo!!

Take care
                              Patrice

Comment

Working...
                              X