Just need to reach out and say Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, I've spent most of the day, back and forth reading posted messages here whilst at the same time getting on with some work. I see a lot of you feel the same, that staying in contact here makes the whole journey seem less lonely. I get pretty emotional at times and suddenly very lonely, tired as well but I tell myself that thats part of the sobbering process. Soon I'll feel more confident and start getting about more as confidence in myself grows. I was expecting friends for dinner and made a special meal but due to work commitments they cancelled. Normally I wouldn't even blink over it but I had been so looking forward to the company. I've told no one about my abstinence from alcohol yet and am keeping away from normal haunts till I gain more sober days and feel ready to mix socially without worrying about others drinking around me. How does one get a buddy on this site? I guess as a new comer it'll just take time to become part of it all.
    A BushBaby with Attitude

Youre not alone on this site, not sure what buddy is though.

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, I am sorry your dinner guests had to cancel on you when you were looking forward to some company. As far as finding buddies here on the site, we are all here to help and be a friend. If you find someone you think you have a lot in common with and would like to speak to them privately you can always private message them (click on their name and there is an option to PM them). Live chat is another good way to get to know people, although with you living in Africa the times might not align. Posting and reading will really help you feel less alone. Congratulations on your sobriety. I am sure you feel so much better than you have in the past.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hi Elizabeth and a huge :welcome:

You will find this site soooo usefull, use and abuse all for any help that you need..
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, Glad you are here. Sorry you got cancelled on I know that can be so disappointing. Nice job on being sober. Lots of people are here for you. If you are talking about the buddy list here on the site I am not sure that it really works. Someone can tell me that I'm wrong if I am. There have been threads in the past about it. Like Lush said PM is a good option!
          Best of luck
          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Another Welcome! Elizabeth. Great to have you aboard. Again, most all of us just use the PM system and not that buddy list thing. I have been here 9 months or so and have never used it.
            Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Hi Elizabeth. I agree with you that reading the posts on this site helps in so many ways on the journey to sobering up. I also find that posting helps me a lot. For some reason, putting my thoughts into words once and a while, and getting validation or comfort from the folks here... well the support is invaluable.

Sorry your friends cancelled and very sorry you are feeling so lonely. I can relate, as I feel lonely often. I don't have friends and I have a husband who is out of town every week. I spend my days conversing with two little people under the age of 4.

Keep coming, posting, reading, etc. You're right, you will gain strength and confidence soon.
              :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

Thanks all of you and Mustdobetter thanks for helping me see things clearer. I guess we all have moments of self pity and forget this is a hard journey for all of us. Talking here sure helps. By the way YOU DO HAVE FRIENDS... me for one and the rest of us here. Keep in touch. :thanks:
                A BushBaby with Attitude

Comment

Elizabeth - You are obviously a wonderful person full of commitment to becoming healthy again. I get lonely often and I have a husband, one son still at home, and three very emotionally needy kitty cats - and I still get lonely. I am the only one in my family with this struggle. I know I can't do it alone. You and I have many buddies here. I'll be your buddy. So will everyone else. No need for loneliness anymore!!!
                  :welcome:
                  Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

I don't have kids but do have an African Wild Cat that is my shadow. She knows my every mood but there are'nt many other people who can get close to her. She was born next to Tarangie National Park and I was given her as a tiny cub. She wakes me up every night with a gift of a live rat or some other poor critter and she won't stop calling out till I wake up and acknowledge and praise her. She may soul mate. Cats are amazing...
                    A BushBaby with Attitude

Comment

With an African Wild Cat...who needs buddies??? YIKES. Yes kitties are amazing, I'm just glad mine are a bit on the more domestic side. Elizabeth, glad you are with us. I look forward to hearing more from you.
                      Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Hey Elizebeth

You are very welcome - I find it incredible that I can be sitting here in my pjamas talking to people all over the world who are so totally supportive and funny.

I may be a bit weird (and my husband tells me i am all the time) but I find I can open up to them much more than people in my "real" life. Although slowly, slowly I have noticed I am getting more open in everyday life and feeling more confident in being me.

Hope you find what you are looking for here.

I too am a cat lover - although I lost one of my 3 last week - run over !! very sad.

Love S

Comment

I can't stand this - I have to ask. An African Wild Cat - what on earth is that? I am a biologist and am fascinated and jealous. That must be a lovely creature. What kind of cat is it? Tell me about him or her. I am so interested.
                          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

we're presumably talking about real big cats here Elizabeth? how completely cool.

I love my cats. Byron - Maine Coon, bloody great black male, size of a pony. Sleeps on my head. Follows me around the house singing to me. Totally thick - enough brain to keep cardio-vascular system going, just, but still best cat in the world.

also, Felicity: Devon Rex. Tiny. Curly fur. slightly balding. Looks like she's got a disease. most people recoil when they see her. Very needy. Sits on whatever you are doing / reading. My daughter loves her, which is just as well.

thank you for reading this. only cat people get this kind of stuff.

K

Comment

Wild Cat!!

Hello Elizabeth, buddy And welcome. I had to Google "African Wild Cat", cause I actually thought you were talking about a lion, and I was going to freak out. I see the Cat you are talking about gets to be about 17lbs, right? That isn't too bad. Would have had to worry about you if you did have a lion, as beautiful as they are.
                              where does this go?

Comment

Working...
                              X