Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 5..... thanks guys

Hi
    Thanks for all of you encouragement yesterday.

Something has happend to me in the last week, and I want to share it (sorry that sounds a bit corney!)
    I've been drinking wine every night now for as long as I can remember. As much as one to two bottles a night. I always turn up for work the next day feeling pretty average. I own two businesses and employ ten full time staff. I work long hours but always manage to drink each day even if I don't get in from work til 2.00am.
    I have tried so many times to stop and have found it so difficult that I've never made it to day 2. I was thinking my problem must be different to those who were succeeding, or I was just a loser.
    Over the last three months I have reached rock bottom and have lost enthusiasm in everything I do. Even to the point that one morning I was lying in bed, not wanting to face the day, as usual, and trying to work out when my youngest of four wouldn't need me anymore so I could disappear. I know that sounds selfish.
    I then thought, I'm going to give everything one last try!
    In the last week I have employed a buisness rescue group which as part of the team includes a marriage guidance therapist. I joined the gym and took on a personal trainer two sessions a week and STOPPED DRINKING....just like that!
    This is day 5. This morning I feel happy, smug, and ready to take on anything!
    I don't understand why I don't even feel like a drink. I think that there must suddenly be a right time, that's all I can put it down to.
    All I'm trying to say is...as my gran always says....."if the first time you do not succeed, try try try again" or "never say die upman and try" oh and it's bad luck to put an umberella up in the house..... and it's also bad luck to put new shoes on the table. I'm sure she made these up to get the point across, but they seem to work.
    I just wanted to share it with all the other me s out there who have failed so many times....I'm not trying to say you need to reach rock bottom, I'm just wanting to say you can do it.
    I've also lost 1.5 kilos this week (around 3lbs for all you still in the old imperial times).
    Good luck
    Alison

a

Day 5..... thanks guys

Hi overit. That's a wonderful story and I am so happy that you found the strength and the will to make it work. Good for you. It's really great that you are so positive.

Well Done on 5 days.
    :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

Day 5..... thanks guys

Wow! I love the idea of not even feeling like having a drink. Sounds like you are doing absolutely great. Congrats!

Julie

Comment

Day 5..... thanks guys

Alison, thats a fantastic transformation I'm finding the weight loss issue coming easier than I thought also, in spite of my new larger than life appetite! a bottle of wine has about 800 empty calories in it so I guess that's the obvious reason we are losing the weight and feeling better. very well done!
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Day 5..... thanks guys

overit
          What a great story! You are such a success! I hope you buy the book and the tapes and the kudzu. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but this abstinence may become harder in the next few months. But it should still always be joyful - sometimes gets a bit harder as time goes by - sometimes gets easier and easier also. Who knows? It comes and goes. The book and the CD's and the kudzu may help you through the small bumps in the road.

You are fabulous. An inspiration to all of us.
          :goodjob:
          :huggy
          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Day 5..... thanks guys

Overit, thanks for sharing that, I am so pleased to hear your story.

Keep it up and keep us informed xx
            sigpicXXX

Comment

Day 5..... thanks guys

Hi Everyone
              Day 6 whoopy, as I'm in Australia it's now 4.45 Sat morning, I made it through Friday night, I didn't think that could ever be possible for me.
              Anyway thanks for the encouragement. Just to let you know Mags, I do have the book the tapes the supps the kudzu. This isn't an overnight thing for me. I've been hovering around for ages. Although I only got the tapes on Wed and find them great! Also I've just read Dry by Augusten ??, sorry the book's upstairs and I don't want to disturbe anyone. This book was recomended on this site. It's a great inspiration. I read it in three nights - I couldn't put it down. I'm now readining Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop drinking. I can see how his books really work, only he sounds a bit like my Dad, a bit too opinionated. I'd still recommend it, I think??
              By the way, this is the first time I've read for ages. Even years, I've always been too pissed. I now go to bed at the same time as the kids. Once I've read everything, Ive been wanting to I might even start painting again!!
              Alisonxx

Comment

Day 5..... thanks guys

Loved "Dry". Will probably read it again soon. So glad to hear you are doing well. Keep up the great work and please keep us up to date on your success!!!

xo
                Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Day 5..... thanks guys

Augusten Burroughs by the way....
                  Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Working...
                  X