Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the finish line.

Hello All,

I have been reading and posting for about a year. I have been AF for about half the year (with a 100 day stretch in there). Then I go for 2 weeks and drink, 3 days and drink. 4 days and drink... not a new pattern for many of us.

I have signed up for a road race (1/2 marathon) and need get get in shape. This is a great opportunity and 'excuse' to drop the bottle and grab the running shoes.

My question to you all is: What strategies do you use for after you reach a goal? Whether it is a date (30 days) or a race. Do you just hope momentum will keep you going or do you say "See I can do it any-time" and go back to old routines.

Today is both: Day One and Mile One.

After the finish line.

I haven't crossed any finish lines with AL yet. But after quitting cocaine and being off it for about a year I started taking small amounts at parties and never got hooked on it again...and opiates I never fully quit, but I moved farther from my source and only pick up once or twice a year now. So I guess my pattern is to abstain and than moderate, AL is proving tricker than heroin though. Good luck, sounds like your on track...

Comment

After the finish line.

Hi Ambrose

The road race sounds like a great opportunity to kick start your goals. My best suggestion is to create a new goal, BEFORE you reach your current goal. Sign up for another road race, set a goal to lose X lbs/kg if appropriate, try to learn a new skill in a set amount of time, or simply extend the 30 days AF to 60. Don't look at it as "I did it, what's my reward?", look at it as "What else can I accomplish?". Good luck!
      AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

After the finish line.

Hi All
        Hi 71. All experiences are different depending on your involvement with what ever drug you are using at the time.
        I am an alike so their is no finish line for me. I knew this when I realized I am an alike not just a problem drinker. It made a lot of decisions in my plan easy not that becoming af after 40 plus years of a drinking lifestyle was easy.
        I never celebrated big time when I hit a goal because I saw so many here have let downs after a celebration.
        I chose to view my recovery as a trip up a mountain and each goal reached was a new base camp. Still planning my trip towards a peak I will never reach but now enjoying every thing about life along the way. Momentum alone wouldn't carry me but planning did and also some very hard work.
        I am just giving my experience which is in the AF world. It seems you are still moderating in your lifestyle which is a decision only you can make in regards to what is right for you.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF. 5-16-08
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

After the finish line.

I keep my focus on the future and what I am creating. My goal is a happy, healthy sober life. I can't have that if I drink. If I catch myself looking back, I change what I'm doing and once again focus on what I am wanting. Change your thoughts and your world changes!
          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

After the finish line.

I'm with caysea. I've been moving toward complete abstinence since last November, 2012. It seems that each time I've set a goal such as 7, 14, or 30 days, I've taken a little "break" after that increment of days. I've made it part of my written plan, now, to avoid marking "end" dates, and to make total abstinence the only goal, the only goal that's right for me. Best wishes, all!
            Friedabee is "free to be!"

Comment

After the finish line.

Hey, Ambrose71,
              I wish I could say I was as successful in the AF as some of the folks here who have answered. I always listen when Hippyman talks, because he gives us such very good, warm and loving advice. I have been off and on with drinking, some years more successful than others, since 2008.

But I do have some experience with the road races, however, since 2010. I am old and slow, but I have done marathons, half marathons, 10ks and 5ks, and here is my advice on this... and you know what? It is really my advice on going AF, too. Step by step in the right direction. That's all. You don't have to go fast, you just have to keep going. And when the rain is pouring down, I guess I am just not sweet enough to melt, so I try to go out then too, and it makes the nice days all that much nicer, knowing I was able to stick it out when the going got tough. The going has gotten tough for me AF these past few weeks, and I come here, listen to the good advice, and it makes the good days like today all that much sweeter.

Good luck with your training. Step by step in the right direction. Take rest days. You can do this.

Comment

Working...
              X