Will I D/T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I D/T?

Hey guys I'm brand new here. I am a 29 year old male who is a busy professional at a hospital. It's time to stop drinking, my wife has left me due to it, and I'm tired of abusing my body. So I've been drinking heavy for about 10 years. Wondering how my alcohol intake compares to others and their experience with D/S's. I am being 100% honest here about quantity. I work 6 days a week, partly to help how much I drink. So 6 days a week I drink 6-8 bud lights 12 oz, and one day a week I drink Probley 12-15 bud lights 12 oz. There is no other type or liqueur of any sort. I know I drink a lot, but is this a lot for a alcoholic like myself. I already have anxiety issues and am on celexa 40mg. I am deathly afraid of D/T's especially seizures. I've read about a lot of medications that I am familer with to help symtoms, but here is the problem, one of my triggers for anxiety is taking medication of any sort. I can even take a simple Tylenol with triggering a severe anxiety attack. I've tried contolling my drinking in the past, and it ends up failing every time. I've been reading about cold turkey vs tapering. Afraid I don't have the self control for tapering. So I'm wondering if some with similar drinking habits had attempted quitting before and what experience they had. And yes I know this is a hard question due to everyone's body's are differant. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say. Thanks and sorry for any typo's, I'm on a iPhone.

Will I D/T?

Hey there

Well...hard to say. From your description I would think that you will be OK with withdrawal. It could be very uncomfortable though and if you can it certainly wouldn't hurt to do a medical detox

Comment

Will I D/T?

Problem is if I check into a detox program they can report it and can affect my medical license. From the people to have done the weaning, like less each day, could u tell me about ur experience and advise. Thanks

Comment

Will I D/T?

Hey there,
        I was drinking waaaay more than you. If you can manage it, tapering is certainly do-able. I was drinking 15-20 drinks a day-every day. I cut it down 1-2 drinks a day every day. I got a bit stuck at 6-7 for a couple of days. So I made sure I had only very limited alcohol in the house for last couple of days and then went 5/3/none. First couple of days was hardest. I ended up eating heaps of chocolate but ate healthy otherwise, had hot chocolate or tea, etc, something calming and comforting at night, went to bed early, watched comedy shows etc, anything to keep my mind off it. But most importantly, had no major withdrawls, as I had after stopping another time for two days when I wasnt drinking as much. That time was hot and cold and shaking so bed I could hardly walk. This time, shakes improved from how I was on a regular morning after drinking straight away! Feel a little run down, slightly flu-like had a few headaches but it is not that bad, really feel better than I how felt while drinking

Check this thread out- http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

If you can get out each day, just buy drinks for that day and go down 1-2 a day. If you can do it you will be fine Also b vitamins, mulit-vitamins, vitamin d and milk thistle are good. Lots of veg. soup.
        Good luck If I can do it though I am sure you can! My life is very stressful and have a lot going on, alcohol was my crutch for stress, depression and anxiety. If you are determined I am sure you will be fine

Comment

Will I D/T?

I see some people saying b12 helps. Any thoughts?

Comment

Will I D/T?

No one can say what is safe BUT give yourself the best chance.

Buy the supplements from biorecovery or here, the former are more complete. Joan Larsens book 'seven weeks to sobriety' is good to read as well to decide the type of alcoholic you are.

I was drinking 15 units of alcohol a day for 23 years and quit cold turkey BUT was taking supplements for a long time so was repairing whilst damaging. If you can bear to wait do some repair first.

Comment

Working...
            X