Sugar/food cravings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar/food cravings

Have had sugar cravings ever since I went AF 10 days ago. This is SO bizarre for me as I don't like sweet things. I also find it hard to feel full even though I'm eating well. I have a bulemia history as well as the wine. I thought the sugar cravings were to do with missing out on the alcohol sugar, but my doctor feels it's more because I miss knocking back the alcohol, so I shove food in to 'cuddle' myself in a different way. Does anyone have any tips?

Sugar/food cravings

Hi cookinghappy,
    Are you taking any of the supps? I understand they are supposed to help balance your blood sugar. I'm doing the whole program recommended by RJ in her book and haven't had any problems with sugar. I am sure others can be more specific. Congratulations on 10 days!!
    Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

Hi CH,

I feel exactly the same so interesting to hear what your doctor said - though I have to say I don't think my problem is 'comfort food' - I too would think more along the lines of replacing the sugar in the alcohol But who knows...? I do know that this wasn't a problem until I was about 20 days AF. Up till that point I had been doing daily exercise and eating well - I'd also been taking fish oils and some antioxidents. After that time I let everything lapse for one reason and another and it's really hit big time - also SO unexpected as I don't usually like sweet things either usually! So I'll be interested to hear what others have to say too. In the meantime, am heading for the gym again to try and work off some of the weight and sluggishness I'm now developing, will go back on the few supplements and see if I can get over it - look forward to hearing other suggestions...

All the best,
      :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
      Goals:
      Days 1-7 DONE
      Days 8-14 DONE
      Days 15-21 DONE
      30 days DONE
      60 days
      100 days

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

I dont post often but I need in on this one.

I hated sweet. Was proud to say I dont eat it BUT now with over 90 days AF I am craving. Candy bars at work, a pack of cookies in the middle of the night. On top of the sweet cravings, I am still having problems sleeping and the sugar is making is worse.

I will keep watching with some possible soulutions...

Thanks for letting me vent but sorry I cant help

Jules
        AF Since December 2006

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

It is very common to crave sugar when you stop drinking because alcohol is sugar and our bodies are used to it. I too used to claim I was not a sweets person but when I am not drinking I sure can be. The one supplement that really helps with that is the l-glutamine.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

I keep gummy worms(the sour ones don't go well with beer...) and life savers on hand. Sometimes I can find the sugar free ones, they taste pretty good too.
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

Ice cream. Ice cream with lots and lots of stuff in it. Like Ben and Jerrys ice cream. Big chunks of fudge covered pretzels, peanut butter cups, fudge and caramel swirls. I eat a ton of it. Sad, because I'm working out, and eating great besides the ice cream. I think I'm as addicted to the ice cream as I was booze. However, I bought a big tub of L-Glutamine two days ago, and I'm hoping that will cut down the cravings.
              where does this go?

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

L-glutamine does help to reduce sugar and carb cravings. Try supplementing about 10 grams a day for now, to help with the cravings. And allow yourself to have a bit of ice cream also. How about Edy's Grand Light American Idol Take the Cake. 1/2 the fat and calories and oh my gosh so good.
                :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

mustdobetter. Thanks for the tip on the ice cream. I'll have to check out the Edys. I've had low fat ice cream in the past, and wasn't thrilled with it. Gotta stop by the grocery store on the way home. I hope they carry it where I'm going, cause I don't remember seeing it. I'll let you know.
                  where does this go?

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

Yes - try it if you can find it. My husband was never big on light ice cream either, but this stuff he loves. It's miracle food I tell you.
                    :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

Sugar/food cravings

mustdo, the store only had Triple Talent and Choc' N Roll Caramel. Do you know if they are any good?
                      where does this go?

Comment

Working...
                      X