Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well hell...

So very happy for you RIP, :goodjob:

It seems that when alcohol has taken too much and left us with nothing but regret, anxiety, ill health, arrested~development, damaged relationships, ad nauseam...we can walk away; run away? and feel finally FREE and grateful. Much like being released from prison I find. And now, you too have found this freedom! You are a wonderful 'cheer~leader' for others to boot :thanks:

All the best, P.
    "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Well hell...

bcp2013;1500694 wrote: That's awesome rip,LM 34 days today,l haven't been doing many social things yet,just work,hope l look at it funny as well when people get drunk,l have a large party to go to on the 11 the ,but a few of my sober friends will be there, as well l have a family reunion in July,usually a big drink fest,hope l handle that well,l guess my first function with a lot of alcohol will be a good test,l want this sobriety for my health and family,they are so happy for me,l get a bit down sometimes,is that normal,mostly in evening when l would drink,how long for that to pass,thanks for any advice,sorry for not posting on my own ,l don't know ,how to get to it to be a new post,thanks again,so proud of you!!!
      Hey BCP, congrats on 34! Its awesome isnt it!:goodjob:

In regards to your upcoming social events, here is my two cents. This really dropped a bomb on me once I learned and understood it.

Dont think of your upcoming social events as a test of your will power to resist drinking. I started to do that even this time myself. Then I learned that doing it just set me up for failure in the past because I was using willpower alone and even if I succeeded I was miserable the whole time. So I was miserable when I drank, and miserable when I didnt drink...That's not my definition of sobriety. Sobriety should be happiness, not misery and if it isnt then what am I doing wrong?
      Why the HELL do I have to be miserable at all? Am I destined to be that way my whole damn life? Am I cursed? diseased? bad genes? Only if I allow myself to be..

No, we all DESERVE to be happy and fulfilled. Most of the rest of humanity drinks but doesnt have a problem with it like we do right? Or do they? Why would they even need it if that's the case? That's how we all started out didnt we?

We are just sunk further into the tar pit then the rest of them, but they are in it also. Otherwise why would they even do it or "need" to drink at all? Did I need to drink when I was 5 or 6 years old to be happy? No, so why now?

Alcohol is just another poison pure and simple. Would you go into the garage and drink weed killer or maybe have a swig of gasoline? About the same thing, only the funny thing is society accepts and encourges it. Ask any "casual" or "social" drinker why they are having that drink. Is there really any reason on earth they could give you that really makes sense? Casually ask a "social" drinker next time. I bet you will hear a lot of excuses, or they might not even answer.

We can escape it in our minds for good! I just look at it for what it really is. Poison of the body, mind, and soul.

I cant think of anything good thats ever came from it that wasn't a lie, or didn't damage some aspect of my life in some way.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant, sorry in advance for being so long winded! I didn't mean to preach!

Thank you all for your support! I am truly humbled, encouraged, and proud of the people here I take this journey with. May we all find peace!

Rip

Comment

Well hell...

Well hell...RIP you are doing awesome!!!

I DO NOT miss the weekends laying on the couch and having to sprint to the bathroom to dry heave. I wasted SO many beautiful days nursing a pounding head. I lived in a constant state of DIZZY. Now I wake up early, grab a cup of coffee and read in bed (I look forward to that all week...LOL) then I get up and go to the gym for a couple hours, then take a NAP and enjoy it for fun instead of NEEDING it just to survive the day! Then later I can watch movies and actually remember the ending!

Thanks for the reminder of what we're NOT missing!
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Well hell...

Excellent post Rip, the good old miserable when drinking and miserable when not drinking. I think we all are familiar with that.

You sound like you have been reading Easy Way to Stop Drinking or Kick the Drink. Either way, if you have read either, it seems like the message really clicked with you. Your post summarized the authors points concisely and to the point.

I wish you continued success on your road to freedom.

Comment

Well hell...

Have you read Jason Vale's book 'kick the drink easily'? He makes the same point that kids have a fantastic time at a party without alcohol, also that just that you know that heroin gives a high, most of us wouldn't dream of shooting up etc. etc. Also that most drinkers are already having to control their input (only drinking after dinner/weekends etc.). It's a very good read and all makes sense. Xx
            AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Well hell...

Wine-no!;1500784 wrote: Have you read Jason Vale's book 'kick the drink easily'? He makes the same point that kids have a fantastic time at a party without alcohol, also that just that you know that heroin gives a high, most of us wouldn't dream of shooting up etc. etc. Also that most drinkers are already having to control their input (only drinking after dinner/weekends etc.). It's a very good read and all makes sense. Xx
              Indeed it does!

I just picked that book up on my kindle. Will give it a go!

Amazing what our minds are capable of doing to us.

Comment

Well hell...

Rip557;1501074 wrote: Indeed it does!

I just picked that book up on my kindle. Will give it a go!

Amazing what our minds are capable of doing to us.
                Let me know what you think of it! I have a copy somewhere so will have a read too x
                AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Working...
                X