By the skin of my teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the skin of my teeth

It's been an a 20 hour day, but I have to get this out.
    We laid my step-mom to rest today, and my whole family was there. I will now watch my siblings go through a grieving process as I went through with my brother. A very emotional day led to dinner out after the service, and I pretty much gave in to the possibility that I was going to drink.
    As the waitress came to our table, everyone started ordering drinks, and I was planning what to say. I was planning to drink with my family. I did not take my antabuse for two days, and I did not come here to post.
    However, they said they do not serve alcohol at this establishment and I was so relieved I can't even describe it. I am 80 days today, and God gave me an out. I took it! Because even though we could have gotten alcohol at the next door liquor store, we did not, and I am now home safe and sound, and SOBER.
    That was very close, and I am so grateful for divine intervention.
    I took my antabuse and I think these few days of brutal cravings is now over, because I came so close to failing.
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

By the skin of my teeth

Nursie, WELl done! Just shows how al can creep up on us! Many many times it has done it to me and resulted in disaster . I know you take AB. I have started it again today and am hoping this time to become sober forever. Sorry to hear about your step mum.

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Nursie
      that is great! I am so sorry for your loss ..... but you must feel loads better than if you had been drinking. That would have made everything worse.....at least for me it would have.
      Please keep coming here to read and post!!!!:l
      I just won't anymore

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Great job Nursie. I am also very sorry for your loss. I am a firm believer in Divine Intervention. From God, The Universe, whomever. It happens. Good for you! I am right behind you at 71 days
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Nursie,

Full Stop!! AB does not leave your system quickly. If you take AB daily, then quit for two days, you are still subject to alcohol poisoning.

Even if you don't suffer horrendous effects, your liver is going to as the AB/alcohol combination is very toxic to the liver.

AB requires total committment.

Please don't hurt yourself. I drank two weeks after quitting AB a few years ago and ended up in the ER.

Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Nursie, I understand your feelings and resignation to drinking as that has happened to me and like you, once or twice, God, the powers that be, my guardian angel "saved" me from myself. So you were weak and rode on the wings of your angel. Sometimes life is amazing. This 'coincidence' is something that you can refer to when you are feeling shaky or doubtful.. It's the universe telling you it has big plans for you and you need to stay sober to start your journey.

All the best on 80 days.
            Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
            ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Cinders;1503350 wrote: Nursie,

Full Stop!! AB does not leave your system quickly. If you take AB daily, then quit for two days, you are still subject to alcohol poisoning.

Even if you don't suffer horrendous effects, your liver is going to as the AB/alcohol combination is very toxic to the liver.

AB requires total committment.

Please don't hurt yourself. I drank two weeks after quitting AB a few years ago and ended up in the ER.

Cindi
              Hi Nursie - it sounds like you were handed a lucky escape all round. I'm also taking Antabuse and although I've never tried mixing it with alcohol (I'm much too much of a coward!!) I was told by my doctor that it is very dangerous to drink any alcohol for at least two weeks after your last tablet. For me personally, however much I crave a drink - liver failure (however small the chance) isn't worth the risk.
              Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Hi Nursie, we laid my father to rest on the first, so I know exactly what you are going through. Returning to his empty house after the family dinner was oppressive beyond words. It's the only time since being on campral that I honest to God craved a drink. I resisted the alcohol, but I did go to a drugstore with the intention of buying a pack of cigarettes (I haven't smoked in twelve years). As I pulled into the drugstore parking lot, though, I saw a DVD rental kiosk and rented a pile of movies to get me through an alcohol and nicotine free night.
                In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

:l:lWell done Nursie for not caving in and so sorry for your loss. Well done on 80 days don't blow it at this stage.

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Well done!!! Xo

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

That was incredibly brave and strong of you Nursie, be proud of yourself tonight after what must have been a horrible time
                      AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Nursie;1503158 wrote: It's been an a 20 hour day, but I have to get this out.
                        We laid my step-mom to rest today, and my whole family was there. I will now watch my siblings go through a grieving process as I went through with my brother. A very emotional day led to dinner out after the service, and I pretty much gave in to the possibility that I was going to drink.
                        As the waitress came to our table, everyone started ordering drinks, and I was planning what to say. I was planning to drink with my family. I did not take my antabuse for two days, and I did not come here to post.
                        However, they said they do not serve alcohol at this establishment and I was so relieved I can't even describe it. I am 80 days today, and God gave me an out. I took it! Because even though we could have gotten alcohol at the next door liquor store, we did not, and I am now home safe and sound, and SOBER.
                        That was very close, and I am so grateful for divine intervention.
                        I took my antabuse and I think these few days of brutal cravings is now over, because I came so close to failing.
                        Sorry for your loss Nursie. Very relieved and happy for you:l

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Thank you everyone, and thanks for the AB warning! I take a pretty low dose every other day or so because it is expensive and I was running low. I would never drink if I thought it was still in my system so this worked out all around!
                          I'm committed, and so grateful I didn't drink. I woke up this morning so incredibly tired, but I was full of energy and renewal because I did not drink!!
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

By the skin of my teeth

Well done Nursie and sorry for your loss xx
                            AF since 2nd Oct 2012
                            Day by day