Today is a new start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is a new start

I woke up this morning sick and tired of being hung over, again. So today, on this mother's day, I am beginning my alcohol free new life. I'm terrified, but my babies deserve more and so do I. I have the book, the cds and I bought the All One powder. I also ordered topamax and will begin that today. I was shaky and foggy headed this morning and keep breaking out in what seems to be hot flashes, sweats, but then it passes and I get chilled. It has been 17 hours since my last drink. Normally, since my kids are with their dad this weekend, I would have gone to the store first thing and got my daily supply of beer, but not today. I do have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer. Do I need to order all the other supplements since I got the all one? It seems it has everything in it already. How long do the shakiness and sweats last and is there anything out there to help calm it? I think I read that xanax could help and I do have some, but it's only .25mg and I only took it when I was going through my divorce and I'm not sure how much I can safely take. I also saw that someone mentioned benedryl could also help. I want to live a SOBER and CLEAN life. I look forward to being "normal" again:H Funny, I never drank until I met my husband and ultimately that's why he left and found someone else. I can't have one drink because I can't stop, so moderation is not for me. Sorry so long winded, just wanted to say hello. I'm sipping lemon tea and have had two sodas already. Thank goodness they were caffeine free :new:

Today is a new start

Happy Mothers day sodagirl! You have definitely come to the right place. This is where I finally got sober over 2 years ago and I stay here because this is a lifelong journey. The sweats and shakiness will go away after a couple of days. I tapered for a week but I had been drinking hard liquor for 10 years so I was worried about withdrawals. If you are able to quit cold turkey that is probably the best way. I did not take any supps but did use calms forte to help me sleep for the first couple months. Most important is to change your routine. I cooked everynight, full meals even though much of it didn't get eaten. I had to replace the drinking hours with something else and cooking took up that time. After a couple of weeks I was able to get past my witching hours without trying to fill the time. Read lots and lots here, post on the newbies nest, tons of support there (and ev everywhere here). In the end it's up to you to really want this and put in the work. And watch out for when you feel stronger and the drinking thoughts come on strong. You have to not drink no matter what. Divert your attention. Think it through to the end, how you will feel then next day (guilt, shame, hungover etc).

There is so much ahead for you and it will be wonderful if you stay al free. Life is amazing without the alcohol!
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Today is a new start

The sweats are horrible but mercifully short-lived, treat yourself as if you have flu to begin with, plenty of rest and fluids. Keeping a drink of something in my hand helped me a lot, especially at wine-o-clock and also drinking it out of my favourite wine glass helped. Newbies Nest is the best place to go, its always busy and if you're reading with a glass of something nearby you will be busy.

Concentrate on the life you want, you've already begun it and its going to be a lot happier than what you're leaving behind. Your kids will love you for it!
      AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

Today is a new start

Hi Sodagirl

Welcome to MWO. And happy Mothers Day!

This place is great for support. I have slipped before and no one was judegmental, just kind and supportive. Nearly 5 months now and no intention of going back.

Sorry I don't know about the supplements but if you check out the Newbies Nest and meds forums you can get a lot of answers. I do think your shakiness should pass in a few days.

We have all been there and I know it is not pleasant. Hang in there and stay close.
        Your kids deserve a sober mom, and you deserve a good and peaceful life.

Comment

Today is a new start

24 hours down

I have officially made it 24 hours without a drink! I got taken out for a great steak dinner and really thought I would not be able to make it through. The shakes came and went and now its the sweats that are off and one. I look forward to making it through tomorrow. I did take some xanax today and it helped take the edge off. I also started the topa and am hoping it kicks in sooner than later. I did have cravings today, but kept reading and actually cleaned my kitchen and had my kids with me. It was a nice day, but I am still worried about failing this. I know with all of your support, I can get through this...one day at a time.

Thank you for all the kind words. I look forward to not thinking of alcohol every waking hour and just enjoying life, being able to drive my kids to the library and actually attend school functions with them. I used to take them to church on Sunday and they loved it, when I lost my husband, I quit church and just drank to oblivion. Crazy!

Comment

Today is a new start

Welcome Soda Girl and congratulations on the completing the toughest first few days. You are already feeling better by the sounds of it and before long, you'll be feeling fantastic. I am still early in my sobriety; a few days away from the big 30 day milestone but I do have one piece of advice and that is to never get complacent for the first while anyways. Keep your guard up cos that little alkie brain will try to trick you into thinking you can have just one cold one on a sunny day. It can really blind side you.

You are smart taking it hour by hour. You are doing great; keep doing what you're doing. There are so many long term successful sober people here whose advice is really worth sticking around for.

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you better.
            Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
            ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
            X