My glass is full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My glass is full

I pondered the age old "glass half full" theory tonight as I attended a work related gala. It was a huge event that I have normally drank at in the past, so I was nervous about it. The alcohol was flowing as soon as we entered, waitstaff handing out trays of wine, champagne, and mixed drinks. Cocktail hour was really two hours so I drank my water and had tasty hors devoures (I can never spell that).
    The silent auction and live auction are always a big hit once everyone has a few drinks I guess.
    So then it was time to sit, and all of the wine glasses were full before we even sat down. This was annoying, (K9, it was even worse than Olive Garden!)
    I moved my glass to the center of the table and kept my water. I was propositioned by waitstaff who clearly must have been programmed to keep glasses full?
    I stared at the glass in front if me and thought how sad it was that I could not drink.
    Then, as I looked around, very few people were drinking at all! They felt the same as I did and they didn't have alcoholism. I pondered the glass half full theory, and at the end of the night I felt triumphant to leave behind my full glass.
    I kicked major alcohol ass tonight, because that glass sure looked lonely!
    As we left, I saw many many full glasses that no one touched. What used to be normal for me, is not normal for everyone else, I just thought it was because I was drunk.

I also got an award and was in a video that I was proud to be sober for. My life is getting better and better, and alcohol is just sulking in the corner.

So yes, my glass is full. Because I did not take one sip!
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

My glass is full

Oh, and not one person asked me why I wasn't drinking! It was very refreshing.
    Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

My glass is full

Well Done!!! That is fantastic with all that temptation around you. You are an inspiration! I feel like I will be able to handle situations like that soon. I think a lot of it for me is what people will think but like you said there were many full glasses around.

Comment

My glass is full

Congrats I have had and do experience similar events

Comment

My glass is full

Great stuff Nursie.
          Yes it is sometimes a revelation to realise that many of the normies actually really do drink just one or two glasses and that alcohol is not the main reason why they attend many social events.
          Best of all congrats on the award and the video. No slurred speeches either to worry about! :goodjob:

Comment

My glass is full

Oh wow, good for you!!!!!!
            March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
            May 29: back to day 1
            June: The battle continues......

Comment

My glass is full

Yay! That's great! Congrats on the award too :goodjob:
              AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

My glass is full

Well Done Nursie and yes whats normal for us alkies is not for other people. At the weekend I watched normal drinkers sip on their 2 or 3 wines over a 2 hour lunch and realised my drinking was not normal. I would be drinking the wine as quick as I could and having a few shots as well to get that buzz!!! Thanks for posting.:goodjob::goodjob: I drank diet coke.

Comment

My glass is full

Congratulations Nursie!

You're a big Star!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

My glass is full

What a great story Nursie - and congrats on not drinking AND the award! Awesome!
                    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

My glass is full

Congratulations Nursie and well done on the Award too! You are an inspiration :thanks:

I too have found that no-one actually notices or is bothered that I'm not drinking when out at functions (in my head it was an extremely important part of these social occasions - but apparently it was only me who thought that!!)

I also notice the left over half full or even full glasses of wine that 'normal' people don't feel the need to force into their bodies when they've had enough. I was actually so incredulous that I had to mention it to the friends when we went out for a meal last week when a young couple on the next table finished their meal and left with their glasses half full and a half bottle of wine still on the table! If I was still a drinker I would have been truly tempted to nip across and drink it myself!! :H

It just reinforces that the majority of us here are probably programmed a bit differently.
                      Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

My glass is full

What an awesome night for you all around!

In a similar situation recently (where I had water), I looked at all the full and nearly full wine glasses around me that were not being consumed and thought about how if I were participating, mine would have been drunk as agonizingly slowly as possible and once gone, I would have obsessed about the unavailable ones so near at hand - once AL has you, he just does NOT let go! (If it had been last night, I probably would have missed seeing you in the video because I would have been so distracted by AL!).

Great job, Nursie!

:hNS

Comment

My glass is full

YAY for you Nursie.....it is great seeing your confidence grow ...... and congrats on the award.

Comment

My glass is full

Well done!

Comment

My glass is full

Thanks my friends! Bursting with gratitude today that I did not have that evil one sip! (Because there is no such thing). And grateful that I am on antabuse to deter any cases of temporary insanity!
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X