The little things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The little things

Good morning all! Waking up today with brighter eyes and clear head. Wanted to share my experience from last night.....I went to the refrigerator to grab my favorite drink and realized we were totally out. Great news....I was completely sober and able to go to the store for more....bottled water! My son even asked me how much water I was going to drink since he had already seen me drink one while preparing dinner and one during dinner! A few months ago he would have been asking me how many beers was I going to drink.....and if I had gone to the fridge and seen we were out of beer, I would have most likely been too drunk to drive for more (and in a panic!). Came home and spoke outside with my neighbor for half an hour....a few months ago I would have been itching to get back in my house to pop open another beer. Feels really good to be able to do these little things now. Each day I am trying my best to have that "attitude of gratitude" and take in all of the glorious little moments that make huge impacts on our lives.

The little things

Great Job Texas!!! I LOVE Texas btw! My parents live in San Antonio. Anyway, great success last night, keep up the great work and drive to sobriety!
    Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

The little things

I totally agree it's the little things in life that all add up...
      Running out of something and being able to drive IN THE EVENING!!!
      Talking to the neighbour without worrying you smell like a brewery...
      Tidy House
      Mornings!
      :hug:
      AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

The little things

Texas40,

What a wonderful thread! Thanks. This is a lovely reminder of all we've gained, and it may give incentive to newbies and returnies. I love the sunrises, the stargazing and mostly I love my mood. I'm not sarcastic and cynical anymore.

Comment

The little things

I absolutely love not feeling pathetic, hungover and lethargic. I love remembering EVERYTHING!! I love not pretending that I completely remembered an entire conversation from the night before. I love that I don't have to ask my family about something and have them say "I just TOLD YOU last night!!"
          Love having my memory back
          I just won't anymore

Comment

The little things

Texas40;1506004 wrote: Good morning all! Waking up today with brighter eyes and clear head. Wanted to share my experience from last night.....I went to the refrigerator to grab my favorite drink and realized we were totally out. Great news....I was completely sober and able to go to the store for more....bottled water! My son even asked me how much water I was going to drink since he had already seen me drink one while preparing dinner and one during dinner! A few months ago he would have been asking me how many beers was I going to drink.....and if I had gone to the fridge and seen we were out of beer, I would have most likely been too drunk to drive for more (and in a panic!). Came home and spoke outside with my neighbor for half an hour....a few months ago I would have been itching to get back in my house to pop open another beer. Feels really good to be able to do these little things now. Each day I am trying my best to have that "attitude of gratitude" and take in all of the glorious little moments that make huge impacts on our lives.
            You are doing so amazing! I'm so happy and proud of you!!!

Comment

The little things

Its a great feeling. I love the relaxed moods one can get from being sober. Instead of worrying about if you have enough booze to last the night, constantley tripping up and down to the liquor store, having that extra shot that no one elso has.........the list goes on!!! It just isn't worth the pain of it all!!

Comment

The little things

hadit;1506385 wrote: Its a great feeling. I love the relaxed moods one can get from being sober. Instead of worrying about if you have enough booze to last the night, constantley tripping up and down to the liquor store, having that extra shot that no one elso has.........the list goes on!!! It just isn't worth the pain of it all!!
                Oh ya, that infamous extra shot!

How about the "primer" before? Nope, don't miss that one damn bit.

Comment

The little things

Thank you everyone for the amazing replies! It really does feel good to wake up and feel a bit of pride for once. I have spent so many years in the self loathing/self destructive cycle. I actually have an admission as well.....I was also taking one hydrocodone (vicodin) every single night for the past 3 years....and like the idiot that I am, I only took it when I would start to drink for that extra "high". I am now on day 5 without any hydrocodone as well. I have been drinking alcoholically for many more years than the last three, but I am realizing that not taking the pain med is actually making it easier not to drink. I guess in my mind that if I am not mixing the two I wouldn't get a great high anyway, so what's the point? Just need to get the cigarettes out of my life now too!

I have been a bit irritable at times, but I think that has just as much to do with the pain med withdrawal as alcohol. In my most irritable times, I use the same technique that has been posted in the tool box....kind of the like the urge surfing, except I stop and think that this moment will pass, take a deep breath and ride it out. That has truly helped!

And I have said it before...but I have to say it again. You all inspire me so much!

Comment

Working...
                  X