kambob's night on the town.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night my little (3yr old) grandson made it very clear that he wanted to have a 'sleepover' at Nana's house. Even just a few weeks ago I would have been reluctant, because it meant I would have to delay my drinking until he went to bed (or more often, I'd just drink anyway, and end up in bed not long after him!) Our previous sleepovers meant him plonked in front of the telly, or playing alone with some toys....I was generally useless.

But last night was something out of the box. We had a brilliant night, playing hidey, building towers out of blocks and chatting and me getting to know what it's like to be three years old again. The telly was on in the background with a segment about disability services, so we had a grand old discussion about why some 'big' people's brains are a little bit broken leading them to behave like little kids, or why some kids and big people have to use a wheelchair. I swear my grandson is so damned smart....he understood every word I was saying (even some of the big words). :H

And I remember every bit of it this morning. :thanks:

It's not always about looking too far into the future being AF....sometimes just getting through a day with something special happening is enough to re-kindle the old enthusiasm again. And it doesn't have to be earth-shattering, just the little things.

kambob (Day 18, not that I'm counting or anything!)
    Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

sooo neat. you will always have that memory. so sweet.

-S-

Comment

Lovely post

Comment

kambob;1507093 wrote:

....sometimes just getting through a day with something special happening is enough to re-kindle the old enthusiasm again. And it doesn't have to be earth-shattering, just the little things.
        Lovely stuff.

Comment

Well done Kambob.

And congratulations on your AF time friend. Have a great weekend.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thanks everyone. It was certainly a night to remember, however mundane: normal takes on a new meaning when you're not pissed.

Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

Comment

Yep. Sober is the new drunk!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Guitarista;1507145 wrote: Yep. Sober is the new drunk!
                Seconded! So happy for your new perspective Kambob.

My son and his girlfriend have weekly stories they relate of drunken arguments, fights and unpleasantness occurring amongst their friends. They are starting to see alcohol for what it is......a nasty, destructive drug.

My DIL does not drink anymore and my son is starting to wake up! Praise be

Comment

kambob;1507140 wrote: Thanks everyone. It was certainly a night to remember, however mundane: normal takes on a new meaning when you're not pissed.

Not mundane at all.....this is REAL life :h

Comment

Nice one Kambob. It would have meant so much to your grandson too it's so good to be away from AL to enjoy these simple but most important parts of our lives - our precious families!

Comment

Well done Kambob, Yep, its so good to have fun sober and be able to remember it the next day I had some talks with my GC on Thursday last......sober! And they know it,one is 17 yo the other 12. Way to go. I am having my 2nd w/e free of al. Enjoy your new af life.:goodjob::goodjob:

Comment

Thanks for posting that kambob, I am so looking forward to seeing my granddaughter and her two little cousins who are making their appearances this summer (Mom's are expecting) and interacting with her rather than wasting my time with her. You give me all the more reason to stay on this sober path.
                        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                        ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                        X