7 days AF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 days AF!

I've been on and off here the last few weeks. Tried AA, TSM, and finally decided to go just quit cold turkey on my own and being here. I just completed 7 days AF, starting day 8 today The first 1-5 days were pretty rough with really bad headaches thru out the day, but I sucked it up, took advil, L-Glutamin, lots of vitamin waters and today I can really feel a difference. Headaches are minimal, I can see the way out.

Tomorrow I fly out to my company's national sales meeting and I'm nervous as booze will be flowing and it's a known time to embibe and catch up with co-workers from around the nation. I would like to just stick to my guns and not drink, but being in sales it's tough not to. I'm wondering if I should moderate and stick to no more than 2 drinks a day, then back to Zero when I return.
    First attempt June 30 (42 days)

Day 1: August 13, 2013
    7 Days:
    14 Days:
    30 Days:
    60 Days:
    90 Days:

7 days AF!

Congrats, Joe!!! 7 days is huge! I bet you'll be getting a prize from Jenniech for your efforts! She awards full moons for 7 days!
    I'm in sales, too....I work for a Fortune 25 company and drinking is not only accepted, but expected. I am a female in a male dominated work force. Our sales meetings in the past have been an absolute free for all! A test of the last man standing, and I was always one of them. I am here to tell you, you don't have to cave to the pressure. Most of my group WISH they didn't drink! It was an adjustment at first, but if you go in with a solid plan, you can do it. Get your story down pat as to why you aren't drinking! If you waiver at all, they will sniff it out like the wounded critters on the Serengeti and go in for the kill. After all, they do not want to be in this alone...misery loves company. And it loves miserable company. Tell them you are taking meds or on a health kick or something, but make it good and come right out with it. Plan what you are going to order. You don't have to be the first one down there...You will find that leaving at 9:30 (instead of 2 am) is perfectly acceptable...you will NOT have missed a thing except the same exaggerated stories.
    Point #2. If you really do you homework on this site, you will find that of the 1000's of people who come thru here, there are only about 1 (or less) that can successfully moderate long term. Sorry to be bleak, but I don't want you to hold out false hope that you are one of them. If you sought out an online sight for problem AL use, joined in and are participating, you are most likely one of us. It's not a bad thing at all, as you can see, I bet you are feeling better than ever! (and you haven't even been mooned yet!) Please don't think that you can have just one or two and turn it off...we have passed that point and unfortunately, there's no going back. You can spend years trying this out for yourself, or take our word for it. I never drank harder than the year I tried to moderate. After all, didn't we ALL try to moderate before we got here? Nothing has changed....we are NOT more self aware or there's no more information, we are wired to drink to excess and that's that. You only get one brain, and it knows where you've been. Guard your quit with your life!
    If I can help you in any way, just let me know! You've got to get thru a sales meeting at some point, it may as well be this one! All the best!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

7 days AF!

Hi Joe, I am international consultant who is on a plane (business class, with all those free drinks and time in the airport lounge) at least 3-4 times a month, plus dinners and receptions every week. Alcohol is everywhere, in particular the "let's get together for a drink" which is really "let's talk shop."

In the last 4 months I have worked to achieve longer and longer periods of consecutive AF days, which involved exercising my "no thank you" muscles. The times I caved in and had a drink, I wish I hadn't. The temporary flush from the alcohol was not worth it.

My suggestion -- eat before you go to any event, drink at least three bottles of seltzer water, which is great for filling you up. And then order a soda, water with lime, or juice drink. And, have a plan to write into MWO of how you were successful. You can do this, and I bet if you look closely you will see others not drinking as well. I won't say "good luck" but rather "have a plan and stick with it."

Let us know how it goes.
      Free at Last
      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

7 days AF!

Joe, my opening sentence someone got deleted. I started with congrats on a big accomplishment. I'll end with "you can do this."
        Free at Last

Comment

7 days AF!

While I am not in sales and I have a professional career that does not tolerate alcohol, I still can relate to the daily temptations of drinking socially or on the sly at home. I quit on March 11 and those first weeks were tough. I told my friends that I was doing a 30 cleanse and now they don't even ask why I am not drinking. Sometimes I slip away to the bar to get my soda water and lemon- just to feel as though I am one of the drinkers. I still have fun; I am just a better me.

Stay strong! Life is better sober.

Comment

7 days AF!

good for you joe I also am at day 7

Comment

7 days AF!

Byrdlady;1515837 wrote: Congrats, Joe!!! 7 days is huge! I bet you'll be getting a prize from Jenniech for your efforts! She awards full moons for 7 days!
              I'm in sales, too....I work for a Fortune 25 company and drinking is not only accepted, but expected. I am a female in a male dominated work force. Our sales meetings in the past have been an absolute free for all! A test of the last man standing, and I was always one of them. I am here to tell you, you don't have to cave to the pressure. Most of my group WISH they didn't drink! It was an adjustment at first, but if you go in with a solid plan, you can do it. Get your story down pat as to why you aren't drinking! If you waiver at all, they will sniff it out like the wounded critters on the Serengeti and go in for the kill. After all, they do not want to be in this alone...misery loves company. And it loves miserable company. Tell them you are taking meds or on a health kick or something, but make it good and come right out with it. Plan what you are going to order. You don't have to be the first one down there...You will find that leaving at 9:30 (instead of 2 am) is perfectly acceptable...you will NOT have missed a thing except the same exaggerated stories.
              Point #2. If you really do you homework on this site, you will find that of the 1000's of people who come thru here, there are only about 1 (or less) that can successfully moderate long term. Sorry to be bleak, but I don't want you to hold out false hope that you are one of them. If you sought out an online sight for problem AL use, joined in and are participating, you are most likely one of us. It's not a bad thing at all, as you can see, I bet you are feeling better than ever! (and you haven't even been mooned yet!) Please don't think that you can have just one or two and turn it off...we have passed that point and unfortunately, there's no going back. You can spend years trying this out for yourself, or take our word for it. I never drank harder than the year I tried to moderate. After all, didn't we ALL try to moderate before we got here? Nothing has changed....we are NOT more self aware or there's no more information, we are wired to drink to excess and that's that. You only get one brain, and it knows where you've been. Guard your quit with your life!
              If I can help you in any way, just let me know! You've got to get thru a sales meeting at some point, it may as well be this one! All the best!! Byrdie
              This REALLY RESONATED with me...exactly how I feel. I really want to get thru this meeting AF. Thanks for your support, I really appreciate it!

7 Days:
              14 Days:
              30 Days:
              60 Days:
              90 Days:

Comment

7 days AF!

halfway content: thanks for the kind words!
                witts end: Great job! small steps...let's focus on 14 next!

7 Days:
                14 Days:
                30 Days:
                60 Days:
                90 Days:

Comment

7 days AF!

I would like to add that, from bitter experience of alcohol and nicotine, if you relapse now you will find it VERY difficult to get AF again.

This is due to a process called kindling, which you can google or find here, I will bump a post.

Sobriety is NOT like knitting, you can't put it down for a day or two and just pick up where you left off. When you drink again the 'garment' unravels and you must start afresh.

This trip is a great chance to really strengthen this quit. Use it to people watch and see what the real effects are on people when they drink.

Comment

7 days AF!

WOW
                    witts end:
                    :moon:

Joemero:
                    :moon:

You each get a full moon for remaining AF each and every day of the week!!! This is HUGE in our world and we are all so happy when people get their moons!!! So thank you!!

Great job and on to the next prize which will be a moon for each week until your 30 day mark....
                    I just won't anymore

Comment

7 days AF!

thankyou all

Comment

7 days AF!

Dear Joemero,
                        Just checking to see how you are doing?
                        Free at Last

Comment

Working...
                        X