drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drugs

Just recently, I have been taking note of the different 'drugs' people have been using to beat this addiction. I tried the Topomax years ago, and I don't want that again. But there are quite a few others mentioned, and there is one in particular that sounded quite harmless, but I can't find who mentioned it - I've been scanning back through posts. Can anybody give me some names of drugs that have helped. I am really nervous of my upcoming summer and the family/friends in my home city and since I will be seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks, possibly arming myself with some assistance might make me feel more confident.
    Anybody?
    xoxo peanut

drugs

Antabuse
    Campral
    Baclofen
    Naltrexone have all helped various people on this forum
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

drugs

Antabuse - that's the one. Anybody try that?

Comment

drugs

Yes - worked wonders for me. Cant say enough good things about it.
        Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

drugs

I shall google it.

Comment

drugs

My - that sounds scarey!!!! It works more as a deterent, I see, than something that actually reduces cravings, yes? DId you ever slip and drink when you were on it? What happened???

Comment

drugs

You are correct. I did not drink while on it - I was too scared! I have heard stories from others who did and it sounds NOT nice. I think the phrase was 'projectile vomiting'.

It took my cravings away in that I didn't have to decide if I wanted a drink or not. I couldn't do it, so just got on with the rest of my day. No choice but to be sober. It was very liberating!
              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

drugs

Siren136;1516450 wrote: I think the phrase was 'projectile vomiting'.

It took my cravings away in that I didn't have to decide if I wanted a drink or not. I couldn't do it, so just got on with the rest of my day. No choice but to be sober. It was very liberating!
                Yes...that was me with the projectile vomiting! UGH

I agree that it DOES take the craving away because once you've taken the pill, the option of drinking is off the table. Kinda makes your mind move on to other things. Why struggle over something that CAN'T happen?

I know it sounds scary Peanut, but it's really not. I've never had a reaction to anything EXCEPT my deliberate ingestion of alcohol (never try it...just take my word for it!).

I can't speak highly enough of it....Antabuse and MWO saved my life.
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

drugs

K9Lover;1516455 wrote: Yes...that was me with the projectile vomiting! UGH

I agree that it DOES take the craving away because once you've taken the pill, the option of drinking is off the table. Kinda makes your mind move on to other things. Why struggle over something that CAN'T happen?

I know it sounds scary Peanut, but it's really not. I've never had a reaction to anything EXCEPT my deliberate ingestion of alcohol (never try it...just take my word for it!).

I can't speak highly enough of it....Antabuse and MWO saved my life.
                  Sometimes I wish I could 'like' posts on here.

Comment

drugs

I've really liked Campral, haven't even noticed any cravings for alcohol, only self doubt that creeps into my head sometimes! For me though I was scared I would crave a drink and thought that if I could stop the craving I would be ok, if the Campral didn't stop the cravings I would have gone for the antabuse because mentally that deterrent of getting sick has to help you want to stop!

Comment

drugs

I think I will ask about Campral - Thanks LLL. Too chicken about the Antabuse!!! Maybe not enough faith in myself yet?

Comment

drugs

Goodluck Peanut!! Its worked a treat for me and I seriously couldn't wait to get through a working week so I could drink from sun up to sun down so I know I have serious craving issues but not since I started the Campral 18 days ago

Comment

Working...
                        X