11 Days Sober - First Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3June2013;1609989 wrote: Posting from paradise! If there was ever a doubtthatiwoukd be happy to stay AF here in Costa Rica I'm over it. Just signed up for an intensive Spanish class starting at 8 am every day.No way I could commit to that as a drinker! Feeling good! Pura Vida!
    Pura Vida 3June! I just got back from Costa Rica in early Dec. It is paradise! Do lots of zip lining!
    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Last night the aroma of wine seemed to pull me. But I know where it leads and I'm not going there. I love waking up sober and clear headed and nothing is worth losing that.
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Tree good on you. AL really doesn't help us deal with life, it blurs it.
        Siren yea I've been the last time I was here, might go again, my son is here and wants to give it a go.
        Newbies Nest
        Toolbox
        My accountability thread

Comment

Signed up for aerial yoga tomorrow. Should be fun!
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Wow, 3J. I wish you could post pictures!

I am living vicariously through your vacation. Sounds delightful. I have a big birthday in 2 years and have always thought it would be great to go to one of those surf/yoga camps they have in CR.

Comment

Pavati I don't know how lol or I would. It is a great community here, there are a few sorts, the yogis, the surfers, the drinkers and the retirees. I'm hoping to fit into the first and last group!

Still getting the odd stupid thought, you know the "fuck it what's one glass?" But I'm too smart for that. We all know the truth. If just one then why not none. I know full well where that first glass leads and I'm not going back there.
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

3June2013;1618458 wrote: If just one then why not none.
                I've never heard it said like that, but that is the truth for sure. What's the point of just one!?

Comment

Ya exactly. One is totaly pointless. And in my case not real.
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

I fly home on Monday which happens to be my eight month anniversary. Where has the time gone? I have to admit there were times where I felt a little out of place here with the younger crowd being smokers and drinkers, but at no time did I want to join them! That s progress!
                    Newbies Nest
                    Toolbox
                    My accountability thread

Comment

The other day when I told someone I don't drink there was a moment where I wanted to say "but I used to". I think it's because I was afraid that saying I don't drink means saying I am not fun. This is a recurring thing for me. I used to have more fun (or so I thought). Then last night we were talking about being introverted and I said I find being social is a lot of work for me and I am happiest when I can just go home and not be "on". In the "old" days I drank alone at home. Now I just like being home alone. I putter around, I get on MWO, I do yoga, I go for walks, do a bit of housework. I really like being alone.
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

Hey 3 June...Great going!...It was June 3-2013 that I first became sober...then numerous relapses....each one shorter and I just kept climbing back on the horse. I agree with your comments...its the first drink that is danger. When I look at your post all I do is lament that I did not stick with that date---I would be close to 9 months now. YOU DID IT! Congrats!

Now that I know soooo much more about how dangerous alcohol is...I could not care a rats ass what other people think or how they respond to me not drinking. Just remember..most people dont know much about the dangers of AL...the people on MWO do...so stick here and keep building your new life...YOUR WAY!

Im Proud of you!

Comment

June,
                          I read your first few posts, then moved to your most recent. What an inspiration you are! Thank you for sharing this, as I wonder how I will make it through daily without AL long-term. From your posts and others here on MWO, I have never read, "after 8 months of being AF, this really sucks." Not once, not ever. It's all good! Life is so much better for everyone who has take this road. Thank you again!
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

j-vo if you'd asked me a year ago how I felt about quitting AL for real I would have said a) I didn't need to and b) I didn't want to.

Fast forward past the edginess of the first weeks, the mind games of hoping I could be a moderator, the tough realization that it was an illusion, to now where 99% of the time I honestly can't think of any reason on earth that I'd want another drink. I love waking up feeling good every single day. I may have the odd sleepless night but that's because my head won't stop, it's a lot easier to wake up after a restless night when you aren't hungover as well!

Before I found MWO I tried moderating for years, unsuccessfully. Once I quit and let go of the option to drink it got easier and easier.

Hang in there!
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Yaaaaaaa........For the mind to get over the fact that moderation is not an option.

What I have learned over the last year is one very powerful point......

Just trust the long termers here when the say..." Its soooooo much better...trust me"

And?....thats what Im doing...simply trusting the valuable advice of wonderful people.

Simply trusting that "one drink wont work"

Trust that....So many little ails go away.

Trust that "one day at a time"...is a simple and nice way to live.

Trust that daily attention to improve oneself helps immensely

Trust that all I have to do is stay sober today

Trust that...Alcohol sucks!

My trust is building...DAILY!

Trust...Such a cool word

Comment

lead hi there thanks for your post. You're right, we have to trust in the words of those who have been before us. I'm starting to feel like one of them!
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X