11 Days Sober - First Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byrdlady;1535856 wrote: Hey, I just stopped by and thought I'd share this one thought with you....if you have a 'bad' day fighting off AL, it will be followed by a really good day. Don't ask me why, but I never had (have) two bad days in a row. It's a merciful phenomenon! Tomorrow will be a better day! You'll be so glad you made it thru. It's just all part of the journey and it's normal. Hugs all, Byrdie
    I had a "bad day" yesterday...but stayed AF and this morning I feel like it's going to be a great day!
    First attempt June 30 (42 days)

Day 1: August 13, 2013
    7 Days:
    14 Days:
    30 Days:
    60 Days:
    90 Days:

Comment

It's day 52, two months is around the corner. I have no doubt I will get there.

Here's what I am noticing this week. It isn't the physical urges that get me any more, it's the psychological urges. So when I am bored I want a drink. When I am tucked into the couch watching shows on tv I want a drink. When we go out for supper (I've done that twice I think since I quit) I want a drink. When it is a gorgeous summer evening and I am out on the deck I want a drink. I want I want I want.

But really what I want is to wake up refreshed, to feel healthy and alive, to have the energy I have now, the calmness, the peace.

If it's all in my head then my head can talk me out of it. Simple, right? I wish! It is a constant battle. But it is worth it.
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Hi, 3June

I seem to be stalking you around MWO today :H !

At some point I realized "I want to" had usually turned to "I'm glad I don't need to". The "I wants" are very rare now and easily dismissed.

Lav emphasizes the importance of gratitude in all of this and I found that once my feelings of gratitude started coming naturally, I'd really turned a corner in terms of the psychological aspects of addiction.

You've been such a prodigy here, you'll probably reach that point very soon .

Comment

Joemero that's the spirit! ops maybe the wrong word to use

Glad to hear your day is going better than yesterday and you're still on track!

NS thank you so much for your continued support. You have shown me the way!
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Reading No Sugar's thread on relapse. Scares me to think people can go back after such a long period of being AF. I read about how life without AL doesn't mean your troubles are gone. We need to address our troubles, get out of traps, learn new coping skills. That's my next step in recovery.
            Newbies Nest
            Toolbox
            My accountability thread

Comment

8 weeks today

Wow where has the time gone? I don't even consider having a drink after work any more. The funny thing is the thoughts of drinking come when I know I wouldn't be drinking anyway. They're easily pushed aside. My fear is have I learned new coping mechanisms or has my willpower just gotten me through this far? Because from all I've read it isn't willpower I need now it's a new strategy. I am loving my yoga, my jogging, biking. I am fitting into my clothes better and not succumbing to the sugar cravings as often. I am back on Weight Watchers so I feel it's under control yet when I want to go off the rails (snack wise) I allow it because I know it's better than reaching for AL.

Tess has posed a question that has me thinking. Why do some people find the strength to quit and others basically drink themselves into the grave?

My father quit drinking at 51, he was a bottle of vodka a day man. Once told me when I was about 17 that vodka was the best, because you can drink it with anything. I thought it was funny at the time. Dad went on to live 31 years sober, but the quit put him into a coma and he was pronounced brain dead. He had tried to quit cold turkey and went into respiratory arrest. He had been in rehab a few times prior apparently. He wasn't in my life in those days so I don't know a lot about it. What made him quit? I wish I'd asked him. I am so thankful he did or I am betting I wouldn't have had what relationship I did have with him. He would have been distant and then AL would have killed him, I'm sure.

My brother has liver cancer. It's a result of hepatitis. He has been alcoholic for a long time, with a few quits. I hope I am setting an example for him.

Three more of my brothers are alcoholics. It kills me to watch them poison themselves. Out of nine kids 5 of us are alcoholics. Why? Nature? Nurture?

I think self worth is a huge part of it. I am thinking this through. I never had any self esteem, it led me to very dangerous behaviour when I was a teenager. It led me to using AL and drugs to dull my senses and ease the pain of my dad leaving us when I was 13. It helped me to feel good. Eventually (when I quit) I didn't even really like AL any more. I kept saying I wouldn't drink and then drinking anyway. What triggered me to quit? Not an event, really, just a feeling of being tired of it all and wanting the change. Reading on MWO about happy people, feeling a little jealous even. Realizing I could do it too. Knowing I would get the support I needed.

I feel like I am rambling, so I will close for now and come back when my thoughts are better put together!!

2 months and what a difference!
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

You are a different woman than the one I first met, June, and I think this is the Real You - and what a great person you are. I wish you were in my real life. I hope you stick around MWO. You're a real asset, it protects your quit, and I and others would miss you terribly if you were gone.

Love, NS

Comment

good for you june2013
                  wow I have 4 sister and 1 brother and I thought that was big but nine wow

glad your feeling great and are on top of the al

Comment

3June2013;1537491 wrote: Wow where has the time gone? I don't even consider having a drink after work any more. The funny thing is the thoughts of drinking come when I know I wouldn't be drinking anyway. They're easily pushed aside. My fear is have I learned new coping mechanisms or has my willpower just gotten me through this far? Because from all I've read it isn't willpower I need now it's a new strategy. I am loving my yoga, my jogging, biking. I am fitting into my clothes better and not succumbing to the sugar cravings as often. I am back on Weight Watchers so I feel it's under control yet when I want to go off the rails (snack wise) I allow it because I know it's better than reaching for AL.

Tess has posed a question that has me thinking. Why do some people find the strength to quit and others basically drink themselves into the grave?

My father quit drinking at 51, he was a bottle of vodka a day man. Once told me when I was about 17 that vodka was the best, because you can drink it with anything. I thought it was funny at the time. Dad went on to live 31 years sober, but the quit put him into a coma and he was pronounced brain dead. He had tried to quit cold turkey and went into respiratory arrest. He had been in rehab a few times prior apparently. He wasn't in my life in those days so I don't know a lot about it. What made him quit? I wish I'd asked him. I am so thankful he did or I am betting I wouldn't have had what relationship I did have with him. He would have been distant and then AL would have killed him, I'm sure.

My brother has liver cancer. It's a result of hepatitis. He has been alcoholic for a long time, with a few quits. I hope I am setting an example for him.

Three more of my brothers are alcoholics. It kills me to watch them poison themselves. Out of nine kids 5 of us are alcoholics. Why? Nature? Nurture?

I think self worth is a huge part of it. I am thinking this through. I never had any self esteem, it led me to very dangerous behaviour when I was a teenager. It led me to using AL and drugs to dull my senses and ease the pain of my dad leaving us when I was 13. It helped me to feel good. Eventually (when I quit) I didn't even really like AL any more. I kept saying I wouldn't drink and then drinking anyway. What triggered me to quit? Not an event, really, just a feeling of being tired of it all and wanting the change. Reading on MWO about happy people, feeling a little jealous even. Realizing I could do it too. Knowing I would get the support I needed.

I feel like I am rambling, so I will close for now and come back when my thoughts are better put together!!

2 months and what a difference!
                    Hey 3j. Congrats on 8 weeks AF. What an achievement.

Unlike you I don't come from an alcoholic home. My father drank rarely as did my grandparents, my sister can take it or leave it and my mum is a teetotaller. My family look at me as if I come from a different planet which, in a strange kind of way, I do.

Like you, I used AL to cover up self-esteem issues, although no-one would think that looking at me: I come across as confident and competent but inside I am often churning. Like you too I have found myself getting involved in some risky behaviours. At one point I was spending a lot of money on drugs. It's funny but I found quitting cocaine a cinch compared to giving up alcohol.

Anyway, congratulations again and feel free to ramble anytime. I like your ramblings.

Neddy
                    "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Lost 5 pounds woot

Thanks everyone! Another great day because I have lost 5 pounds in July (after gaining a couple when I first quit AL in June) Feeling good. I can hear that Rocky song starting up as I head out for by 25k bike ride.
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

Reasons I like being AF ( not in order of importance)

1. Because I floss my teeth every night.
                        2. My weight watcher points are spent on food not AL.
                        3. Waking up for a 5:30 am shift isn't nearly as brutal as it used to be.
                        4. I'm saving money.
                        5. I remember the night before.
                        6. No more morning after.
                        7. I like to fall asleep instead of pass out.
                        8. My lips aren't purple in the morning.
                        9. I have energy for yoga stretches morning and night.
                        10. I can drive anywhere any time.
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Love the list 3J!

Comment

3June I have one more for you:

11. Motivating and Inspiring Others to live Alcohol Free!

Seriously ... you Motivate and Inspire me!! :thanks:
                            Put your hands over your heart - and tell yourself that you are going to guard this essence of who you are with everything. Alcohol opens us up to darkness and depression instantly. You choose love today. Guard it by keeping the poison out of your body. It IS poison.

NF - May 2, 2013 (cig free Jan. 25, 2013)
                            AF - July 31, 2013
                            :lordhelpme:

Comment

3June2013;1539748 wrote: Reasons I like being AF ( not in order of importance)

1. Because I floss my teeth every night.
                              2. My weight watcher points are spent on food not AL.
                              3. Waking up for a 5:30 am shift isn't nearly as brutal as it used to be.
                              4. I'm saving money.
                              5. I remember the night before.
                              6. No more morning after.
                              7. I like to fall asleep instead of pass out.
                              8. My lips aren't purple in the morning.
                              9. I have energy for yoga stretches morning and night.
                              10. I can drive anywhere any time.
                              I especially appreciate number 10!
                              First attempt June 30 (42 days)

Day 1: August 13, 2013
                              7 Days:
                              14 Days:
                              30 Days:
                              60 Days:
                              90 Days:

Comment

Good for you j3 good job well done.....also I would miss you if you left ......we have done this together and it's been wonderful ride with you .......

Comment

Working...
                                X