11 Days Sober - First Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks bcp2013 I am feeling more and more like I can do forever. My husband has never been addicted to anything so although he's not a bad influence he also doesn't get how hard this is for me. Right now I am avoiding putting myself in situations that make me want to drink. He doesn't get it.
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

NoSugar I told my son to drink what's in the house but maybe I should make him hide it?
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

witts end;1519444 wrote: Hey j3 your doing great
        I have a group coming over to-night all drinkers but I'll stay with the kids and watch a movie
        Good on you! I am still avoiding social situations where I would normally drink. Hopefully that won't need be for too long!
        Newbies Nest
        Toolbox
        My accountability thread

Comment

Day 12 and going good.
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

3 june,keep up the great job of quitting,sorry your husband dosen't get it,well you got us here who totally get it.l started my holidays ,well l worked today,start tomorrow,l had a good day but as soon as l got home from work l was a bit annoyed,since l always drank and holidays were more often,anyway l had a swim made a bbq,danced to soe music in my back yard and watched a movie,now l am up can't sleep,but all and all my day was good.l got up had some rice cakes with peanutbutter.sleepytime tea,hopeing to go to bed soon,anyway my friend's having an anniversary dinner for us 25 yrs tomorrow is the party,our anniversary is the 18 th,anyway should be fun,my start of my holidays with alcohol free party.l may be getting tired now ,going to bed,happy non drinking to you!!

Comment

Good job 3J. What changes are you noticing?
              Free at Last
              "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
              http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Keep up the good work 3j
                I made it through my first social event now have another one to-night .....she's cool

Comment

free at last;1519839 wrote: Good job 3J. What changes are you noticing?
                  I am sleeping better than I have in years. I wake up feeling better. I am eating like crazy which concerns me as I have always had to watch my weight. I feel pretty happy mostly. I think reading so much on MYO has sunk in, for instance about how instead of feeling deprived (old way) I want to feel empowered (new way). Instead of going somewhere that will be difficult I change it up and do something that won't trigger. I used to drink alone a lot. Now I come here, or I cook or I clean, I find something to occupy my time. I still have to make a conscious effort not to drink, I wake up thinking about it and I think about it a lot during the day but so far I feel pretty determined. Hope it lasts!
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

Day 13, and feeling strong. I am still grappling with the "did I quit forever?" or "could I be a moderate drinker?". I think I wouldn't be here if it wasn't a problem. I think I wouldn't be so totally absorbed by it all if I wasn't an alcoholic. There. I said it. I am an alcoholic. People would never guess because I am totally functional. I have a great job and great family, I don't often get hammered in public. But they don't know that I was drinking every day. That one drink would take like 5 minutes to put away and the next 4-5 were right behind it. That I passed out at night I didn't fall asleep. That I used alcohol to get through difficult social situations. That hanging out with my mum seemed next to impossible without wine. For years I tried to curb it. Don't drink alone. That lasted about a day. Don't drink on a work night. Lasts about two days. Don't drink more than two drinks. Drink just beer. This is day 13 alcohol free and I can tell you it's been years since I have been sober this long. I am an alcoholic. But I have stopped.
                    Newbies Nest
                    Toolbox
                    My accountability thread

Comment

Cleaned out the booze today. Gave it away and had my son take his away. Yes it's in the house but he has it in his room and I won't go in there. I guess if I was having a total meltdown I might but I could just as soon go to the LCBO. Thanks for the advice, I am glad it's gone.
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

free at last;1519839 wrote: Good job 3J. What changes are you noticing?
                        Good things: more energy in the evenings, sleeping better, no hangover, no night sweats, no regrets in the morning.

Not so good things: eating too much, my mind seems a little scattered, bored, worried about handling upcoming events.
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

3June2013;1520383 wrote: Cleaned out the booze today. Gave it away and had my son take his away. Yes it's in the house but he has it in his room and I won't go in there. I guess if I was having a total meltdown I might but I could just as soon go to the LCBO. Thanks for the advice, I am glad it's gone.
                          3June2013;1520385 wrote:
                          Good things: more energy in the evenings, sleeping better, no hangover, no night sweats, no regrets in the morning.

Not so good things: eating too much, my mind seems a little scattered, bored, worried about handling upcoming events.
                          Good job 3J!
                          I don't know what the LCBO is but if it is on par with a son's bedroom, it sounds like steering clear of both is a good idea ! I am so glad that AL is no longer waiting for your weak moment!

In your lists, it looks like the quality of the good things outweighs the bad ones. Don't worry, I won't go on about the eating thing again! The scattered, unfocused feeling isn't unusual (nor are emotional swings). It takes time for our poor brains to heal! The miracle is how quickly they can heal after years of being poisoned nightly!

As for future events, the key is to have a very specific plan in place and then to follow it. Why don't you tell us about what is coming up and how you plan to deal with it? Someone here might see a pitfall you've missed or have a suggestion about what worked for them.

You're doing so well, 3J - keep going and you will get to the point of being glad that you don't drink. I still have regrets about some things in the past but I have no sadness about not drinking again - it is a relief!

Comment

Day 15 that's two weeks!

I had a dream last night I was drinking rum and coke. It disturbed me so much I tossed and turned through most of the night. It was like a drunk sleep. I got really tired early so went to bed at 830 ( not that unusual when I start work at 5 am some days). In my used to be state I would pass out then wake up in a couple of hours and toss and turn. Last night the dream made me so anxious and messed up. I slept fitfully for 12 hours though and woke up feeling not so bad. Came right here where I know people understand. Thanks for being here!
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

NoSugar;1520435 wrote: Good job 3J!
                              I don't know what the LCBO is but if it is on par with a son's bedroom, it sounds like steering clear of both is a good idea ! I am so glad that AL is no longer waiting for your weak moment!
                              LCBO is the liquor store! And yes both are dangerous places!

In your lists, it looks like the quality of the good things outweighs the bad ones. Don't worry, I won't go on about the eating thing again! The scattered, unfocused feeling isn't unusual (nor are emotional swings). It takes time for our poor brains to heal! The miracle is how quickly they can heal after years of being poisoned nightly!

I've noticed it a few times. My job is extremely fast paced and I make life threatening decisions on the spur of the moment so I need to stay sharp. Then again I am sure I'm sharper than I was when I was drinking!

As for future events, the key is to have a very specific plan in place and then to follow it. Why don't you tell us about what is coming up and how you plan to deal with it? Someone here might see a pitfall you've missed or have a suggestion about what worked for them.

I will start a new thread about planning for success, great idea thanks!

You're doing so well, 3J - keep going and you will get to the point of being glad that you don't drink. I still have regrets about some things in the past but I have no sadness about not drinking again - it is a relief!
                              Thank you so much, that's exactly where I want to be!
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

June3 keep up the good work,you can do it,day78 for me!!lt gets better,some times it,s hard !

Comment

Working...
                                X