11 Days Sober - First Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, helping others through their journey is really rewarding.i love seeing a person's world get brighter as each AF day passes.
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

3J, you are amazing. I LOVE your list!
      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Morning all

Love the list ......

And it is good and rewarding when we help others and all join in the same journey to be af

Have a good day

Comment

Ugh night shift. I hate it. I don't sleep well, can't make plans in case it messes with my sleep. Woke up today with a headache and feeling like crap. Think I'll go back to bed. Hmm I remember feeling this way when I first quit drinking. And guess what, I will never feel like that again! This is a temporary thing, four weeks of night shift and I get my normal back. They pay me really well too so I can't complain!
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Morning ..... Thanks for pointing out I was out in my days .....lost track

Your doing great also ......we really are kicking this together ....love your posts

Thanks

Comment

So I am planning a month down south in February. I've been going once or twice a year to visit relatives but never for this long. My husband thinks I will be bored because everyone there drinks. I think he's wrong....
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

Hi 3J,
                Just read your entire thread because I wanted some inspiration -- so great to see how far you, and Witts End (congrats, too!) have come. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

By down south, do you mean Florida? Kayaking with the manatees, bike riding, kite sailing, golf, taing in a few museums. I'm not hearing "boring."
                Free at Last
                "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Free thanks for your encouragement! Down south is Central America. Yoga, swimming, horseback riding, walks on the beach, quad rides, volcano hot springs. I know, right?
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

3June - Central America!! What a wonderful adventure. Do you visit there often?
                    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Moss yes I have family there, my niece runs a little resort. I want to spend winters there when I retire.
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

Excuses

Funny I never really had a plan in place for answering the question of why I'm not drinking. I guess I announced it early in my quit so my family and closer friends already knew. Once in a while if it comes up in public I have just answered with whatever came to mind. Here are a couple I've used.

1. No thanks I'm going for a sugar high today.
                        2. I just didn't find it was doing me any good any more.

Please feel free to add your own.

That said, I think we over analyze sometimes. My husband was never a drinker, and when the waitress was taking drink orders he always said I'm the DD I'll have soda water. He hasn't the shame, or guilt or secrecy or whatever it is we EX drinkers have so it isn't a big deal.

I'm getting there. I no longer feel I wish I could drink, I am glad I don't drink. And I don't think I need to explain that to anyone if I don't feel like it.
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Hi 3J,
                          I just watched this TED tape, which I highly recommend for her discussion of shame, guilt, and vulnerability. I've watched 4 of her talks today and am so inspired. At one point, the guy on the plane offers her a drink, she says, "No, thanks, I don't drink." Nothing more. How powerful.
                          Here's the link:
                          5 insights from Brené Brown’s new book, Daring Greatly, out today | TED Blog
                          Free at Last

Comment

Oops, sorry. here's the link
                            Brené Brown: Listening to shame | Video on TED.com
                            Free at Last

Comment

Free thanks I was lurking on another thread you were on and saw this, watched my first of her talks this morning, it was on vulnerability and shame. Loved it. She is a great speaker and I look forward to listening to the rest of her talks. Good find!!
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

2003 Dom Perignon

Seriously? I quit drinking, and our host (restaurant owner) puts a free bottle of 2003 Dom Perignon on the table? I actually laughed. It couldn't have happened when I was a drinker? I didn't cave, I felt no need to try it. I did ask my sister and she said "what do I know it tastes like champagne!!"
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X