On becoming joyfully AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On becoming joyfully AF

Am on a mission to attain three consecutive months of sober, joyful living. Wrote this in April 2011 after asking the questions Who am I?" what do I want? What is my path?

"This is what I have to say to you -- that the divine is all around you and within you.

Your physical body is a vessel that holds your life force -- the life force.
    Do not contaminate it. Treat it as a vessel that carries gold or precious jewels.

The energy within, which you have glimpsed is yours, your light to share with the universe.

Do not diminish your light, but rather fuel it with kindness, lovingness, and you will cease to crave anything.

I say this, but you already know it to be true. Honor the life force within you for that is divine.

Compassion is strength.
    Humility is noble.
    Seek peace and it will find you."

Would be keen to hear from others who believe they are now living a joyful life.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

On becoming joyfully AF

I would love to be happy joyess and free
    I just am not there so I too would like to hear how to attain that.
    I am on day 135+ (lost count) and I am still craving like crazy and it is particularly bad at the moment....it is friday, I am alone and under tremendous stress.

I will go for a walk to look for joy
    I just won't anymore

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

I suppose the first question we have to ask ourselves is did we ever and I mean ever find joy at the bottom of a bottle.
      I reckon that's a big fat NO.

I may have thought I found the ability to be funnier than anyone else in the room, to dance better than than a prima ballerina, to hold a reasonable argument on politics, religion, you name it I would argue it at the bottom of a glass but who was I kidding. Just myself, truth be told I was a fool.

Now the simple things bring me laughter and joy. Another morning with no hangover (pricless), the ability to answer the phone night or day, to be available for my family without making excuses, making promises that I'll do it tomorrow and I do (when we know in the past tomorrow never came).

Aww Jennie I'm sorry you're still having cravings at 135 + (:goodjob: btw) can you pinpoint what exactly what is causing them or is it just a general over all blahness.

Let's see if we can get this worked out for you.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Dear JackieClaire, thanks for your note. I think you always have a thoughtful response for others. And, I love the "it could be worse, I could be filing" tag.

My goal is to get from "doing without" to embracing sobriety. Really embracing it, not just because I know it's good for me, but because it is the life I want. My thinking is that if I can start "practicing" mindful, joyful sobriety on a daily basis for a period of three months, then it can begin to become a way of life for me. I found the note I had written to myself two years ago and decided I would put it out to the universe and also look for positive reinforcement from others. Maybe this will turn into some kind of journal of positive thinking thread -- not certain.

Jenny, am sorry you are having such difficult time with cravings and other stressors. Are you eating three good meals each day, and cutting out the sugar? I know that helps me.
        Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Dear MollyKa,
          Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. It is so good to hear that you have never been as happy as you are now. And, that simple things, which actually don't seem too simple (respect from your teenagers, respect for your opinion), make you happy.

Today, I am going to think about the realities, not the myths, of my relationship with AL. And I will ponder what acceptance entails for me. Thanks!
          Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

You never find joy at the end of a bottle only more problems
            I'm with you free at last getting my life back af

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

What a great thread topic! Thank you for starting it, Free.

At this point, I'm not sure I am living joyfully but each day I am acutely aware of how grateful I am for changes that have occurred and I am back to feeling as I did for most of my adult life before the dark days of AL - content. Perhaps that is a quiet kind of joy .

:h NS

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Hi all,
                This topic is really hitting home. It has been several weeks since I attempted to stop drinking but there is a problem; I cant seem to make it past 7 days. For me, going just a couple of consecutive days didnt even seem possible so I am actually quite proud of myself, but why cant I embrace a life without alcohol? Every horrible thing in the world has happened when I drink, I am an angry, isolated drunk and have lost my life to this disease. During my sober periods, it is the opposite, I finally feel alive, I am meditating, working out, going to classes, being present in my family and friends lives, considering others' feelings and keeping my word. I have clarity, energy, positivity, inner peace and joy. So why on earth am I not continuing a life of sobriety? Why cant I make it past the 5 or 7 day mark. Why must I derail and self-destruct? It doesnt make any sense...am I destined to be miserable? Its almost like I am afraid to be great. Also, I am doing this process alone-- nobody knows about this illness (or at least has voiced it to me) and although I know AA is highly effective, going to meetings actually makes me crave a drink more so I dont believe it is for me. Anyhow, thank you for listening. This is my only outlet and hearing your experience and advice is what is getting me through this roller coaster. I know what I need to do, I just have to get there and stay.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Hi there LostSoul33 I am a newbie so take this with a grain of salt. I don't think it's about self sabotage, I think it's about one day at a time. I think it actually gets easier. I'm not there yet, and I am doing all I can to change the routines so that I can get through another day. I found new drinks. (my new favourite is rosehip and hibiscus I make it cold it's delicious with soda water). I eat whatever I want because it's a distraction. I have passed up outings that involve alcohol. I will not hang out with drinkers for a while. I have told my husband what I am doing and I come here every day and post as much as I can. I read and read about other people's journeys and their advice. I am at day 13 now. I haven't been AF this long in years. I can do this. So can you.
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

We can all do this together.
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

LostSoul33;1520070 wrote: Hi all,
                      This topic is really hitting home. It has been several weeks since I attempted to stop drinking but there is a problem; I cant seem to make it past 7 days. For me, going just a couple of consecutive days didnt even seem possible so I am actually quite proud of myself, but why cant I embrace a life without alcohol? Every horrible thing in the world has happened when I drink, I am an angry, isolated drunk and have lost my life to this disease. During my sober periods, it is the opposite, I finally feel alive, I am meditating, working out, going to classes, being present in my family and friends lives, considering others' feelings and keeping my word. I have clarity, energy, positivity, inner peace and joy. So why on earth am I not continuing a life of sobriety? Why cant I make it past the 5 or 7 day mark. Why must I derail and self-destruct? It doesnt make any sense...am I destined to be miserable? Its almost like I am afraid to be great. Also, I am doing this process alone-- nobody knows about this illness (or at least has voiced it to me) and although I know AA is highly effective, going to meetings actually makes me crave a drink more so I dont believe it is for me. Anyhow, thank you for listening. This is my only outlet and hearing your experience and advice is what is getting me through this roller coaster. I know what I need to do, I just have to get there and stay.
                      Hi, LostSoul

I think you were here a few weeks ago but then didn't post again. For MWO to work, you need to really use it- read and post every day, at least once each day and preferably more often. It takes a big commitment and a great deal of time.

At the beginning, I was on here for about the same amount of time I had been wasting drinking - about 4 hours per day. Reading is great but it is when you really get involved and post that things in your brain start getting straightened out. Post and ask for help or offer support. The more you do that, the more you change yourself into a person who doesn't need to drink. Keep at it and you can become a person who happily doesn't want
                      to drink ever again .

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

sorry but i agree with nosugar we need to be here everyday helps be accountable to being af

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

NoSugar;1520126 wrote: Hi, LostSoul
                          The more you do that, the more you change yourself into a person who doesn't need to drink. Keep at it and you can become a person who happily doesn't want to drink ever again .
                          I love this. I want to become that person who happily doesn't want to drink!
                          Newbies Nest
                          Toolbox
                          My accountability thread

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

thank you all... i will make it my goal to check in as much as possible-- to post, read, listen and be accountable for my actions.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Hi all, was away for the weekend with no internet access.

NS-- I think being grateful and content is on the way to joyful. I'll take those two emotions anyday.

Lost Soul, welcome. You might also want to start your own thread as a way of posting your plans and being accountable to yourself and others.

3J, you are doing really well. Keep going.
                              Free at Last

Comment

Working...
                              X