Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On becoming joyfully AF

Hiya FAL and y'all,

How's trick's? All good here. I'm working this weekend, but i've got a gig sunday night, so looking forward to that. Hope all's well. Safe travel's.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I posted the note below on another thread. Today is 100 days AF for me. Am pleased, but also know this is a process, not an event. While living in the moment, I also have to be on guard to push back those stray thoughts of "only one" or "just one day". Alcohol, be gone.

From another post this morning.
      As I was tossing and turning to fall asleep last night (jetlag was something fierce), I finally went through the past 100 days in my mind. I actually could remember each and every day and night. I thought about the difficult work dinners, the plane rides and waiting in airport lounges, and the times when friends came over with a bottle of wine to visit, and even throwing a party for work colleagues. Seven months ago, I would not have imagined it possible. I could not imagine how grateful I am to wake up every morning knowing I did not drink the night before.

So for those of you just starting out -- it took me numerous efforts to get to this point. I joined MWO in April 2010 and made several efforts to lead an AF life, reaching 22, 25, 30+ days but not ever able to reach two month consecutive AF.

This summer, I swallowed my pride (I figured I should be able to do this without any prescription drugs) and went on Antabuse because the constant exposure to AL was just too much for me. It has been a godsend. I take one 125mg tablet every 7-10 days and that stops the mind chatter, giving me time to accumulate the benefits of consecutive AF living. I cheer myself on everytime I take a tablet because I know I am working toward a better life.

Oh yeah, as I write this, I am sitting in the hotel VIP lounge, staring at the bar with 24 different kinds of hard alcohol, several bottles of wine, and beers. I'm sipping my coffee, after having consumed more seltzer water and lime than anyone can imagine. Last AB tablet was over 5 days ago, and no thoughts of "maybe a glass." Instead, I am trying to figure out how I can get some work done and squeeze in another mini-workout yet today.

All of this to say, thank you, for your support and encouragement.
      Free at Last
      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Dear Free, I think 100 days is really an accomplishment. Like you said, tomorrow will be 101 and the next day 102-- but these milestones are an important part of celebrating and reminding ourselves why this journey is so necessary, wonderful, difficult, etc. Good idea to think about the last 100 days, one at a time-- I will try to do the same. I hope you have a nice day and have a bit of time to do something nice for yourself. Thank you for contributing so much here-- through you, so many of us feel understanding and support.:l

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Thanks, Lifechange, for acknowledging how important it is to celebrate milestones.

Today, I swam in the outdoor pool while the sky went from dark blue to black, and listened to the call to prayer from the nearby mosque. A lovely way to unwind -- much better than wine--ANYDAY.
          Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Sounds wonderful! X
            AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

free at last;1565537 wrote: Dear Noodle, it takes some consecutive AF time. I don't think my mind starting shifting away from deprivation mode to gratitude I don't drink until somewhere around 40-45 days. Even then I had thoughts of moderation but the longer I go without AL, the more I realize how better my life is without it. Just keep racking up the days, eventually you will see a shift in your thinking.
              Yo y'all,

I like this very much.

Thanks FAL.

Best of the best of best wishes to everyone. G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

So very, very proud of you free, don't go back , it's not worth it...
                After getting 5 1/2 months AF, I started having the occasional drink, now I am back (kind of) where I started , nowhere to the degree of abuse before but can see where it is leading Am going to try again, AL creates nothing positive, we know that. Life is full of trials and tribulations , so proud of you 100 days free
                On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

I hope you come hang out on MWO more, Halo! We would like to see more of you and it really does help! :l NS

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Thanks No Sugar, you are right it does help, when I was away it was alot harder to maintain the AF life, I'm back to a place that does truly help... I just wished it wasn't so hard, after 5 1/2 months AF I truly though I had AL beat!!!! Not to be...
                    On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Hi I am 9 day AF and I know that there is life without drinking. It is only seems to us it brings joy, fun and easy going, but this is just an illusion. Once you realize it - it will be a lot easier. I overcame heroin addiction 20 years ago, I quit smoking 6 years ago - I know I can do this too and I feel joy even now, 9 days AF. I feel joy knowing I will be happier, I feel joy imagining vacation where I can really rest, I looking forward to holiday season feeling healthy sand less stressed. Great thread - makes you analyze what joy is.
                      AF since 10/20/2013
                      Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                      Meat free since 09/20/2008
                      ---------------------------------------
                      With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Myluck, if you have overcome such past addictions, I am sure you will be able to show AL the door and experience the joy you are searching for... the MWO showcases the true meaning of perseverance , so happy for your 100 days free!

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Dear Friends, a quick check in -- internet has been a little spastic the past few days.

Halo, what a treat to get a post from you. You probably don't realize this but I watched your progress first on our 311 thread and then on the monthly AF thread with a considerable amount of awe. You and Halfway kept, quietly, racking up the AF days. But AL is a wiley, seductive character who knows how to find us at our weakest moments. So, first, thank you for the inspiration you provided to me (and others) and second, thanks for sharing how it is a slippery slope. As Brydie said in a post "once a pickle, never a cucumber" or something like that. We are all in this together and I am honored to have you as a partner in this journey.

Warmest,
                          Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Thanks free for the warm thoughts, doing okay but you are right AL is seductive and ever present , as you most certainly know. Am getting back on the AF train, and am being inspired by you! Keep up the great efforts free.:l

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Thinking of the most joyfully AF free person I know! The creator of this post! Shouting out to her in this vast universe - wishing her a good internet connection, a clean pool, a cool gym, a refreshing AF drink and a day that goes entirely her way! Just talking "at" you feels good.:l
                              10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Free, how are the travels? I agrre I'm strong, wishing free all the best including lots of bottles of sparkling water with lime!

Free, I am back on the AF train and am feeling pretty good, one thing I know about this journey is that it's hard to shake the AL devil off for good , but determination and a PLAN goes a long way.. :h

Comment

Working...
                                X