On becoming joyfully AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On becoming joyfully AF

Planning NOT to drink is the key, Free, and you've got it! So good to hear that you are doing well. :h NS

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Thanks, NS. Sitting in the VIP lounge with my seltzer water and lime and counted up my travel. In the last 21 months, have made 21 international trips to consulting gig (15+ hours each way) and another 22 flights to other destinations in Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, and US. So ready for retirement come spring.

Since March 11, 2013 (part of the 311 gang) most of my flights have been AF. This weekend, my DH and I were discussing my progress in addressing my alcohol addiction -- have come so far in the past year. I don't post much -- partly because there isn't much to say other than "in an aiport" "no internet connection" or "jetlagged" and also because I don't have the "never again" attitude that most of the longer-term successful contributors share. I worry that discussing my own issues about possibly having wine at some future time will confuse those just starting to sort out alcohol issues.

But, I appreciate the support I receive on this thread and will continue to post my progress.
      Free at Last
      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Ummm... just saying, we have a really vibrant Modders group here, too. Come on down to the Long Term Moderators board. You would be so welcome.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Thank you, Nonamegirl, for your kind invitation. I would, however, not call myself a long-term moderator. I am pretty much in the "I rarely drink" camp because I still haven't been able to commit to "never again." So, I give myself the option to drink (after thoughtful consideration) but have only exercised it for three short periods during the last six months. I know it's not a recommended procedure for overcoming alcohol addition but it seems to be working for me, especially given my weekly exposure to travel, work-related dinners, and hotel VIP lounges.
          Again, thanks for reaching out to me.

P.S., after waiting 5 hours for my flight to take off, I decided flying through Atlanta was not in my cards this trip. Back home to my sunny apartment with my dog by my side and able to spend a full week at home--am so grateful.
          Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Enjoy the time off! It sounds like Atlanta is a mess. It seems crazy that that can result from a couple inches of snow but I guess that is what happens when it is rare and there is no equipment available.

I'm glad you don't consider yourself a moderator -- sounds like too much work to me :l.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Hello All!

Free - you sound like you have achieved a peaceful state so go with it! I have been so busy winding up my job and traveling a lot as well - but am hoping to have more time in the future. I do get on here and read now and then but not much more. Hopefully will have more time to post after I leave in April. AF is still the only way for me - I do agree that maybe not thinking "never" might make it easier mentally.

Atlanta was a mess last week! Glad you got to go home instead!

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Great to hear from you mylife. Understand how busy your life must be right now as you work to wind things up and plan for what comes next.

Intense couple of work/travel days for me. Now I'm back in my apartment, with the dog beside me, catching up on several MWO threads.

All is well.
                Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Back in West Africa for this consulting gig. Sat next to an interesting gentleman on the plane and had an engaging conversation. He enjoyed his two glasses of red wine over the course of his meal. Noticed I felt no desire for wine whatsoever. Now that is progress.
                  Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

free at last;1625658 wrote: . Noticed I felt no desire for wine whatsoever. Now that is progress.
                    Hurrah! I am so glad to no longer be suppressing my real emotions with drinking but it is so great to have no emotional reaction to wine. So happy for you!

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Happy to report today was a joyful one for me. Yoga, three great meals, time to walk in nature. No thoughts of alcohol whatsoever. I am feeling mighty blessed and blissful. Thanks to all for the encouragement you provide to me and others.
                      Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Feels like it's been forever since we've talked! Where are you these days? I hope it's warmer than here!
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

You sound wonderful, Free - finally at home in many ways :l.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Free - that sounds like a perfect day to me. You sound great.

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

After morning meditation, the thought came to me that the source of joy (at least for me) is openess rather than being AF. Being AF opened a door so I could begin an inward journey.

Will be offline for awhile as I am practicing silence for extended periods of time, including no email except work.
                              Free at Last

Comment

On becoming joyfully AF

Very cool what you're doing, Free. Yoga, reflection, silence, health. Best of luck to you

Comment

Working...
                                X