Today is my birthday Day 1 again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3June: What do you tell people when they ask why you aren't drinking?
    4the kids:l

Comment

4thekids;1524773 wrote: 3June: What do you tell people when they ask why you aren't drinking?
      Hi, 4thekids

I know this question is to June but I actually told a good friend a tame version of the truth last night when we went out to dinner together and she asked me that question (it was a little awkward since she had just given me a bottle of wine as a gift...).

Guess what she replied!?!: I've been kind of worrying about that myself lately... We then talked about it for awhile and I encouraged her to give it up for a month and see how she feels.

That might not be a comfortable response all the time but I'm glad I spoke up last night!

Comment

No Sugar: Do you find you have made people uncomfortable with your not drinking or people now avoid you? I know that this is no reason to keep drinking....just curious
        4the kids:l

Comment

I think it has made some people uncomfortable and one person put public pressure on me a couple months ago. But once people know where I stand on it and it is clear I'm not backing down, it has been fine. A couple times the theater of presenting me with my non-AF beverage has been a bit much but I don't let it bother me. All of this refers to close friends. I have found that other people have absolutely no interest in what is in my glass as long as they are happy about what is in theirs!

So, if you just tough it out a couple times and show that this is not up for debate, it shouldn't remain an issue. If it does, you might have to be a bit more aggressive about it.

However, you need to have a plan in place for how you will respond if you are pushed to drink (and it would not be appropriate to cause a scene :H). I have both faked it (the pressured toast above) and arranged to not be near a glass (another toast).

People have not avoided me that I know about -- I was the one avoiding people! It is nice to be socially active and comfortable again .

Comment

Hello all...I waited a while to post again because I slipped June 27-29, and I was sad at myself for letting myself and you all here down so quickly again. But...this helped to motivate me to go a longer stretch with the goal of coming back here with good news I am 14 days AF today!! I start my 15th today, and my next goal is 30 days!

I will be posting more often now, as I am feeling stronger each day to guard my quit.
            First attempt June 30 (42 days)

Day 1: August 13, 2013
            7 Days:
            14 Days:
            30 Days:
            60 Days:
            90 Days:

Comment

Annnd starting day 17 today! Headaches are finally gone since yesterday. I'm looking forward to racking up more days
              First attempt June 30 (42 days)

Day 1: August 13, 2013
              7 Days:
              14 Days:
              30 Days:
              60 Days:
              90 Days:

Comment

Hey Jomero
                sounds as if things good are happening for you. One thing is for sure, if we all gave up on our first try, there's be nobody here, and it only takes a weak moment for years of AF to go down the tubes (or the bottle). I'm glad you keep at it!

SS
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Hi Joemero,
                  I've been out of internet connection and just now catching up on MWO threads. Great to see that you are back and doing so well. Stay close -- you can do this.
                  Free at Last
                  "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                  http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Working...
                  X