Today is my birthday Day 1 again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is my birthday and Day 1 again. Last time I posted I had 7 days and then failed miserably at a national sales meeting where everyone, including my manager looked at me like "what's wrong with you?!" when I wasn't drinking, so at dinner I had a couple glasses of wine which we all know turned into a ton more later that evening and the hangover cure the next day, and the drinks at the airport while waiting for our delayed flight, etc etc etc.

I have a strong resolve and wish to anchor my birthday as the perfect reminder of how many days I am counting AF! I'm seeing a therapist this week too, to work on the underlying issues, and most importantly I promised my kids I'd stop. I know I've been this point many times before, but I have never felt this strong of a resolve before either.

Thanks,
    J
    First attempt June 30 (42 days)

Day 1: August 13, 2013
    7 Days:
    14 Days:
    30 Days:
    60 Days:
    90 Days:

Joemero welcome back! I am a newbie here and have found so much help on MWO getting through my first three weeks. Stories like yours remind me that it's too dangerous to have just one. Really I can't remember the last time just one did it for me. One glass that is. One bottle? Maybe LOL

Hold on to that resolve, it will get you through. Day one, what a fabulous birthday gift you have given yourself. Happy Day!
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

happy birthday joe! you can do this
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

A birthday and a BIRTH day! Of course it's day one, it's the first day of the rest of your life, cut from the umbilical bottle.

Congratulations on both counts Joe. :goodjob:

kambob
        Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

Comment

Happy Birthday and ReBirthday! Off we go!! We'll have your back, stay connected here! We all started with Day 1!! Hugs! B
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hey...

Hi there Joemero-well done you! I too have tried and failed to get to more than 7 days so know where you're at....just want to commend you for taking this step of coming out and saying "You know what-I can do this!" and YOU can!...Bless you Mx
            :new:
            Mayzay

Comment

Happy birthday and welcome back, Joe. Setting your birth day as the birth of the AF you is a great idea. You have heard this from others, but I will repeat -- posting and engaging with others is really helpful in conquering this beast.
              Free at Last
              "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
              http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Joemero, welcome back and happy birthday!

Comment

free at last;1523874 wrote: Happy birthday and welcome back, Joe. Setting your birth day as the birth of the AF you is a great idea. You have heard this from others, but I will repeat -- posting and engaging with others is really helpful in conquering this beast.
                  Thanks free at last, I agree and will be more diligent in posting and engaging others

7 Days:
                  14 Days:
                  30 Days:
                  60 Days:
                  90 Days:

Comment

Starting day 3 and feeling good folks!

7 Days:
                    14 Days:
                    30 Days:
                    60 Days:
                    90 Days:

Comment

joemero that's great! Any headaches? How are you sleeping? My first days are a haze but that's mostly what I remember. I was always thinking of Al in those days!
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

3June2013;1524517 wrote: joemero that's great! Any headaches? How are you sleeping? My first days are a haze but that's mostly what I remember. I was always thinking of Al in those days!
                        A little bit of headache the first day (Monday), but not so bad yesterday and today. Perhaps that I've been taking vitamins: L-Glut, Multivitamin, B complex with higher thiamin, and zinc. Have helped. Plenty of water and those vitamin water zeros. Thank God for no more headaches. What I have noticed is irritability though...but I am conscious that this will go away some as soon as I hit day 7, and I can't wait to make it to day 14!

I must do this!

7 Days:
                        14 Days:
                        30 Days:
                        60 Days:
                        90 Days:

Comment

joemero you are doing great. Is this your first serious quit?
                          Newbies Nest
                          Toolbox
                          My accountability thread

Comment

3June2013;1524534 wrote: joemero you are doing great. Is this your first serious quit?
                            I gave it up for lent about 5 years ago, but my drinking wasn't as bad back then so I didn't notice any withdrawals. I tried again earlier this month, lasted 9 days before a company event where I blew it. That time earlier this month was hard, with headaches and restless sleep the first 7 days.

On a side note, I woke up at 4am last night, restless and with a headache...so I guess it took a few days for the WD symptoms to show up this time. Today I start Day 4 :thumbs: I know things will get better with each day. I'm afraid of kindling, another reason to STAY THE COURSE!

7 Days:
                            14 Days:
                            30 Days:
                            60 Days:
                            90 Days:

Comment

Headaches are common, but they will subside. Sleep will get better, I love sleeping now, before I tossed and turned most nights. Planning for events ahead of time can really help you stay on track. Try to know in advance what you will drink, what your response will be when people offer drinks, how you will manage their reactions, how you can exit if necessary. Day 4 fabulous! You sound strong and determined. You are right, each day gets better.
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                              X