I'm not going to drink today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new and my name is Will. I never had a drink stronger than a beer untill I turned 40, then just one day I pulled into the liquor store and bought a bottle of bourbon. I started out slow but within a few months I was getting drunk every night to forget my stress with work and not really being happy with some of the choices I had made in my life. Long story short my wife of 23 yrs. left me, I can't blame her , some of the things I put her through. Also 4 yrs. later now I have health problems from my drinking. I have tried quitting, once I made it 2 months without drink, but something stressful happened and I started back. Most of the time I only make it a couple of days . I want to quit on my own, without any help. I saw something last night that gave me motivation that I haven't had before.
    I had a couple of drinks last night but didn't get drunk. I couldn't sleep so I got up and found my son drunk on my liquor and stumbling through the house. He has seen me drunk and at my worst, once he called 911 and had me carried to the hospital after I had drank way to much. I haven't been the role model that I should have been for him, it killed me seeing him like that and I sat down and cried. It's all my fault, but I hope it's not to late to repair the damage I have done. He is 21 and can buy alcohol on his own and I knew him and his friends were having a few but I didn't realize he was going that far.
    Anyway I want to make it this time for him and hope it helps him to turn off the path I have been walking. I found this site through a search and thought I should join. Maybe talking with people here who have the same experiences will help.

Hi,
    Just like you I have a daughter of 21 years and have realised I can't blame her for drinking too much when I do the same myself. I found this site the other day and have been inspired by what I've read. The main point I've realised is that we control our thoughts, so choosing to no longer think as being a drinker is an inspiration. I'm going to take it one day at a time. Third day and feeling strong. Glad to hear you've taken the first step and recognised the problem. You can do it, have faith.
    :wings::

Comment

wsb, just wanted to welcome you. So sorry you're going through that with your boy, but........maybe if he sees a changed you?? Anyway, try posting in the Newbie's Nest under Just Starting Out, where there is a lot of daily support.

Best to you,
      UN

Comment

i know exactly how you feel i have 2 daughters 21 and 22, it tears me up to know that they put that poison in their little precious bodies,i thought theyd have learned from me what not to do,when i tell them this the response is"we want to enjoy life,just cuz you had a problem doesnt mean i will" little asses!
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

hello and welcome will
          we all here strive to do it one day at a time
          an I also am not drinking to-day I am choosing this course for myself first and if it impacts on others well than good

Comment

Thank you all for the welcomes and kind words. Still AF for the day, feeling the pull for a drink so I have decided to spend the evening occupying my time reading on the forums before I go to bed. I know it's not much but it does feel good, I usually have had a few by now.

Comment

Welcome Will. Not many of us can do this alone and that is why we are here. You will find all kinds of support and acceptance. Also, you will find all kinds of information on strategies to stay quit....and supplements to make it a bit easier.

I cringe at thinking when my boys enter drinking age. Right now they swear that they will never drink because of my behavior. However, I doubt that will be the case.

Wishing you the very best....this will be the best decision you have ever made for everyone. Most importantly for yourself....after all you get to spend 24/7 with you.

Comment

Well done Will, it's just one day at a time. I'm on day four and am finding if I just change my routine, even down to sitting in a different chair for the evening it helps. Also wrote a list of everything I hate think and feel about drinking, then a list of what I want to feel and be like.

Guess different things for different people, but thought I'd share it.

Stick with it.
                :wings::

Comment

wsb sounds like your son is a great motivation, but my advice is to make this about you. You will be far more able to help him if you are feeling good about yourself. We are all here because we use Al in all the wrong ways. Dealing with stress is probably a number one cause. So without AL in our lives we have to learn new coping methods. But for now concentrate on getting through the first of it. Day one will be all about the inner dialogue. Can I do this? Do I want to do this? I don't really need to do this do I? Stick to your guns and talk back. Yes I can do this. Yes I want to be AF. Yes I need to commit to this. We are here to help. I had headaches and lousy sleep for the first week at least. I was advised ot keep my stomach full and drink lots of water. Hope this helps. Stay close!
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

wsb I'm still not drinking to-day
                    thanks for this post

Comment

I am not drinking al today. It looks like I am in good company.
                      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

I'm not drinking either WSB. I've done some incredibly crappy things in front of my son- 14- and he's a tough nut now.
                        I'm with you, :l
                        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Hi Will, I'm not drinking today either, have also done embarrassing things in front of my children.
                          "A good garden may have some weeds"
                          Thomas Fuller

Comment

Good, don't drink. Me either.

-S-

Comment

I didn't drink today. When I wake up in the morning, I'll have a week under my belt. The last couple of days have been hard... first a holiday, now a Friday night, but I've done it. I'm hoping for easier days, but I know there are likely plenty more tough days ahead before those voices in my head settle down! That's okay, it will be worth the struggle!
                              ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
                              -----------------------------------
                              Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Working...
                              X