Back From Vacation - Lessons Learned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good evening to everyone....I hope you all are doing well and had a safe and happy Fourth of July!

Well....here is my vacation story....please hand in there with me if I ramble. Left for vacation last Saturday. Had a wonderful flight. Got to our destination had a wonderful lunch with AF beverages. Went to the store to get our weeks worth of supplies and then my Husband goes to the liquor store where he picks up the wine for the week THAT HE HAS ALREADY PAID FOR ONLINE! Anyway, I wasn't too worried at the time, although I kept thinking that it was an awful lot of wine and a waste since I wasn't going to be drinking. Well, by the second day, all my good intentions went out the window.

I don't know how to explain this, except to say that I drank even though I really didn't want to. It was already paid for and I kept thinking "what are we going to do with all of this?" Anyway, toward the middle of the week, I was getting really irritated by the whole thing. I didn't want to drink anymore and didn't know what to do. I called the liquor store where we purchased the wine and asked if it could be returned. They said yes.....I boxed up what was left and put it in the closet and we returned it on our way back to the airport on Saturday.

I now understand what people mean when they talk about drinking when you really don't want to. I am glad I understand this because it will help me in the future. It's stupid! So, I am considering today, Day 1 again. I thought maybe the whole counting thing wasn't a good idea but I feel like I need some major time under my belt.

So....no more vacations planned, nothing to potentially derail me and I feel good to go. I am glad to be home and to get back on track.

Miley
    Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
    [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Miley, we all learn something new everyday & that's a good thing
    Was your husband unaware that you had quit drinking or just indifferent? I never had real support in that department either....

Glad you came right back!
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

i had just the opposite happen for me,i stayed strong 4th of july,and a weekend with my heavily drinking family in my home town,cripes they wanted me to drink with them but i held my ground,today though al is rearing its ugly face! i dont know if i flexed my alcohol muscles too much and theyre fatigued or what,at least you learned a good lesson though miley,sometimes we do drink just cuz its there,thank you for posting and being honest,back in the saddle again,good going
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks Lav and Pauly

Lav....i honestly don't think he was used to me not drinking. I realized tat it's an adjustment for him too. I have a lot more time for him to get used to it before our next vacation.
        Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"

Comment

It's not easy being the lonely drinker. That is until the next day when everyone else feels like cap and you feel great. It is totally worth it. Why spend so much of your life feeling happy when you don't have to? Hang in there miley.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Sounds like you've learned important things about yourself, Miley, and it is really to your credit that you can see this from your husband's perspective and not just be mad at him.

The day counting may sometimes seem tedious and like it focuses all of your attention on this part of your life. Well - I think that is where your attention needs to be until this new life is "normal". I decided that I wanted to do it until the number was large enough that the thought of having to start over would help deter me so I chose 100 days.

It is great to have you back!:l

Comment

Miley you have learned from this and keep this for the future. Also great that the liquor store accepted the returns. Sounds like you need to talk to your husband and set up some plans for the future because although you don't have any holidays on the horizon (excuse the pun!) there might be events where hubby decides to buy in booze for whatever reason.

Over the past few years I have found holidays actually easier to deal with AF than at home - even when others are drinking. Thats because holidays are a change in daily habits and I always make sure I am not bored. The latter does not have to cost much but might just mean a long walk, or sitting around relaxing with a book. Or chatting away.

Good on ya Pauly :wd:for not giving in to family pressure to hit the bottle. Don't let that achievement just be a thing of the past but build on it and resist the temptation called by AL today. You have had too many set-backs and from what I read, you do want to kick this crap out of your body and your life.

Comment

Hi Miley,

I gave in to wine on a vacation last year. I repeated the same vacation this year and did not choose to have any alcohol. The trip was so much better and I came back feeling like I not only didn't miss anything, but I had a better time because I wasn't drinking/stressing over drinking etc. Hope you can turn your lesson into the same wonderful experience next year!

Comment

Glad you came back and are ready to start again
                  You'll soon knock those days up again and like paulywogg says your back in the saddle again
                  we all learn by our mistakes
                  welcome back

Comment

Thanks guys...it's good to be back. I definately learned from this!
                    Miley

Comment

How are you doing, Miley? Back into the routine after being gone? Hope you have a great weekend! :h NS

Comment

Miley I somehow missed this thread until now. Good for you taking the wine back to the store! Great idea! It shows your determination. Hope you and hubby have had a chance to talk about what happened and glad to see you're back on track!
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                        X