Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To The MWO Forums, Saying Hi

Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to take advantage of this community and participate. I've read some helpful experiences here and am glad to be here. I'm 24 days off of Alcohol, Pot, Opiates (Norcos), and a valium or two a day to boot. I'm 37 and started off in the world of recovery at the age of 23. I've had 8 years sober at one point, then relapsed for 2 years, got another year and a half, and the past couple have been very spotty with quick, nasty relapses.

I got sober at 23 by simply doing AA and treating my depression, but over the years I have found that what worked then doesn't always work now. I'm hopeful, but feel a little lost at times.

I'm doing an outpatient chemical dependency program and doing pretty well.

I hope to hear from you all and wish everyone the best of luck.

One good thing I can bring to the forums is quite a bit of experience applying the concepts of the 12 steps in a very practical, non magical way. I'm quite good at that
    My Sobriety Date 7/1/2013
    Total years sober non consecutive: 10
    Recovery is a process, an imperfect one. Don't let shame from a relapse stop you from getting back up and aiming for well being again. Back from a relapse is always better than dead from a relapse.

Well, with that much time sober, and experience Im not sure what I can add except for welcome aboard, and everyone here will be glad to help

Post up often and let MWO work for you!
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

want2bwell congratulations on your 24 days that's awesome! Sounds like you've got lots of good resources, and you're working it! Check out the newbies nest and the toolbox (links below) there are lots of supportive folks around who want to help in any way they can, and I'm sure you can help them (us) too!
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Thanks guys. I hope to find a program that works for me.
        Recovery is a process, an imperfect one. Don't let shame from a relapse stop you from getting back up and aiming for well being again. Back from a relapse is always better than dead from a relapse.

Comment

W2 just wanted to welcome you. Sounds like you've been on the roller coaster a long time!:welcome:

I look forward to getting to know you better. I think reading and posting here daily really helps.

Best to you,

UN

Comment

Welcome! I just landed here the other day.... have yet to have an AF night yet, but I have really cut back. I have been having problems for years and am trying to do something finally, before something bad happens! I look forward to any wisdom you will pass along!! I am not an AA type, not really religious. But still interested in hearing about the steps....
            How come if alcohol kills millions of brain cells, it never killed the ones that made me want to drink? ~Author Unknown

Comment

Thanks guys. Scarlett, one piece of insight I can share about the steps is that they are nothing new. The concepts they are rooted in are at least 4000 years old. The Atheians really started the concepts of looking inward first before looking outward. The steps in a nutshell are:
              Some things are out of my control, and it is kicking my ass
              Why don't I try something new?
              What sort of negative patterns of thought keep making me miserable when I am sober?
              Do I need to clean up any damage that may have come from these thought based actions?
              Clean it up.
              Stay healthy and watch out for the negative States of mind that precede the drink if any.
              Be rad to other people and pass along what I've learned when someone asks!

Sounds complex but it's simple.

Sorry for any grammatical errors. Typing on my phone from the pharmacy. Picking up my campral.

Comment

good for you want2bwell
                we can all learn together how to lick this addition

Comment

Hi want2bwell, Wishing you all the best on your journey and although AA aint my bag as such, there are things about it I like so I'll maybe pick your brains at some point.
                  "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Neddy, I have found that it's not really my bag either at this point. It's challenging because I built most of my life around it starting at a young age. But at this point I may be considered a heretic by many members there. I guess I'm in good company though. Bill Wilson himself was a heretic. He also tried medical cures to Alcoholism including megadosing Niacin and dropped LSD around 70 times. He even tried to get other AAs to do both!

That spirit of investigation that a few of the AA pioneers carried has largely been replaced by fundamentalism at this point unfortunately. Of course I can only speak to my experience in San Francisco AA. You don't hear about Jesus in meetings here but you do see a lot of obsessive compulise meeting attendance and step work. it's hard to watch. People with years of sobriety who are still trying to use the same tools that got them through the first 6 months instead of aiming for some balance and taking some risks. It becomes toxic and fear based which is opposite the spirit of eliminating self-centered fear. It makes me a little angry at times.

I attend Adult Children of Alcoholics and Dysfunctional Families meetings more often now. I suffered a bad childhood during very formative years and the literature is very current and based on decades of Psychology. It's a breath of fresh air.

Comment

Want2BeWell, I wish you ongoing success and you are right; you have a lot to offer as well as to receive. I can tell you all about starting off cocky and ending out depressed; trying to switch that up right now with yet another Day one and feeling damn sorry for myself.

I have never attended an AA meeting but am not opposed to trying anything once. Not to keen on fundamentalism though so I might save that as the ace in the hole.

Take care and please keep sharing.
                      "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Want2BWell;1536503 wrote: Thanks guys. Scarlett, one piece of insight I can share about the steps is that they are nothing new. The concepts they are rooted in are at least 4000 years old. The Atheians really started the concepts of looking inward first before looking outward. The steps in a nutshell are:
                        Some things are out of my control, and it is kicking my ass
                        Why don't I try something new?
                        What sort of negative patterns of thought keep making me miserable when I am sober?
                        Do I need to clean up any damage that may have come from these thought based actions?
                        Clean it up.
                        Stay healthy and watch out for the negative States of mind that precede the drink if any.
                        Be rad to other people and pass along what I've learned when someone asks!

Sounds complex but it's simple.

Sorry for any grammatical errors. Typing on my phone from the pharmacy. Picking up my campral.
                        I actually like this! If the steps were worded this way I could be convinced to try it out!
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Wnt2B, Welcome and wishing you the best.

Comment

how's it going want to be

Comment

Working...
                            X