Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, That Didn't Take Long

Hey Everyone,

Heading out but wanted to stop in and say goodbye to you guys.

June, it is so hard to figure out exactly how to structure our post retirement lives. My husband and I have been going round and round for years trying to figure it out. We finally were in such need of a change that we got off dead center. The climate thing is always an issue too - and the city/country. I guess we're lucky to have choices, but it seems like after we have one for a while, we then want the other -- hot/cold - city/country -- guess it's part of the human condition - :H I always think of it this way. We're never satisfied, but that is also the flip side of the same coin that makes us venture out and do "great" things if you know what I mean.

Anyway, waxing and waning philosophically..............

Off to the mountains. Have a wonderful AF week everyone - SOBER is SO much better - not perfect, but WAY BETTER!!:l

xx,
    UN :lilheart:

Comment

Hello guys! Checking in.

3June - we're a couple years away from retirement as well and have been considering Costa Rica or Panama. Based on WHAT I don't really know as we have both spent very little time in either place! LOL. What we finally decided is not to decide yet, but maybe spend a year or two trying different places (renting) if possible for a couple months each. I agree the city/country hot/cold always is a hard choice for us to decide on as well.

Un - ENJOY! Hope you have a great trip.

Have a wonderful AF day all!

Comment

Wow, I can't believe how much everyone is on the same page. I've been researching Ecuador, Panama, and Costa Rica for retirement. Everything I checked out said the elevation made it a mild climate through out the year. I was planning a trip next year to fly into Panama and make my way to Costa Rica to get a good feel for the region. It's always good to have a plan in the back pocket although, unfortunately, retirement might be 20 years out for this visitor.
        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Nice to see you back. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life. Congrats for kicking AL to the curb in the midst of it all.
          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

My niece runs a little resort in CR. Very reasonable rates, clean, not fancy, fabulous food, beautiful country. I am planning a month there this winter. I can pm you details and a website if you're interested.
            Newbies Nest
            Toolbox
            My accountability thread

Comment

Hi all, just a quick check in to let you know I back and still AF. Had a great holiday, though the wine was ever present. We spent some of our time thinking about our upcoming retirement and what we want to do as well. The goal is to do lots of hiking while we are still able.

UN, the cabin looks fantastic -- what a great place to meditate, enjoy nature, and just be. Ten years ago, my husband and I moved from our "country" three bedroom/two bath house with the basement, garage and picket fence to a 750 square foot apartment in the city. We got rid of tons of boxes of "important papers" that we had been carting around for years, clothes that didn't fit, furniture, you name it. It was wonderfully freeing. Now, we are looking at whether we could downsize even more to a 550 square foot apartment in the city to keep retirement costs down. When we are not enjoying city life, our plan is to be on the road (with the wonder dog) enjoying USA and Canada with the occasional trip (sans the dog) abroad.

UN, also wanted to say that I read your post about 70 plus days and then having some beers. I have been thinking about how we have to negotiate the "white water of Alcohol life" and will try to put my thoughts in writing.

Will try to catch up on everyone's posts later tonight.

Warmest,
              Free at Last
              "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
              http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Hello All,

Alls - that's so funny. Those are the 3 - Costa Rica, Panama and Ecuador - countries we have been researching as well - with a little late interest from my husband in Uruguay. LOL. It's really something we need to research as we are pretty spoiled here, and although we both speak Spanish (a must if you live in Florida) I think the culture shock might get to us after some time.

3June I would love to hear about your daughters resort - if you do have a link please PM me! I've been trying to figure out where to go on a vacation at least to start and check things out!

MossRose - nice to hear from you!

FAL - sounds like you had a wonderful time. I would LOVE to hear about your "white water of Alcohol life" thoughts. I just pop an Antabuse when I start feeling white water coming on. It's like my safety net. I was reading a book about recovered alcoholics, and one of the women said she did that all the time in her first years of sobriety (she's now 10-years sober). I think the book is called "Sober For Good" and it's a really interesting study on recovering alcoholics and what they did to get there. Also, the downsizing does have a wonderful appeal. But I still worry about a one bedroom apartment...

UN hope you are settling in and loving it!

Have a great day everyone.

Comment

Hello everyone,

3June I would also love to get a link or some info on the resort. My plan was to fly into Panama City then head west through the country to Costa Rica and spend some time there. Ecuador will have to be a separate trip all it's own.

Hey ML, I've heard there are so many North Americans in places like Boquete and David that culture shock might be nonexistent. Nothing will be like the real thing and visiting is something I'm really looking forward to next year. I've heard, because of elevation, it can be a steady 75 degrees all year round. How nice is that!

Hope everyone has a great day.
                  2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

I've looked at Boquete also Alls. LOL.

Well, we have to go check it out.

Just popping in to say hello quickly as I'm traveling the next couple days for work.

Have a great day all!

Comment

Hello everyone

Sounds like your all making good plans

Glad we r all af

Thanks everyone

Comment

Hi MyLife, a quick note to let you know I posted my musings on nagivating the white water of the AL river of life on the On Becoming Joyfully AF thread -- I didn't want to hijack this thread with my long-winded musing.

Happy to report another AF day for me. I gain so much strength from this site. Thank you all!
                        Free at Last
                        "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Hey FAl, please don't worry about hijacking this thread. I would love to hear about your musings but looked around and couldn't find the Joyfully AF Thread. I usually visit one or max two threads when I visit and couldn't find it after looking for a few minutes. Sorry about that but would be fascinated hearing about your experience.

Comment

Hi Guys - checking in. I agree with Alls, FAL. Please don't worry about hijacking! I'll look around for the other thread.

3June - you now have me on a yen to spend some time in Costa Rica. Hmmmm.....I feel a vacation coming on. !!

I spent 3 miserable days on a business trip and came to the conclusion I really need to do something about my work. It's just too exhausting anymore. I don't have the energy I used to have for the corporate life - now it is just wearing me out. (sigh) Like I said Costa Rica is sounding really good.

Hope you all have a wonderful AF evening.

Comment

Free very kindly posted her white rafting metaphor in the Toolbox -- it is a MUST READ!

Well y'all can retire to these exotic locales but you'd better just be sure they have good internet access because we would miss you if you left !

:h NS

Comment

Hey ML,

I definitely feel your pain. I'm a tax accountant and every year it gets tougher, the demands get worse and I'm just exhausted with it all. I went to a seminar this week about the new health care regulations and all the tax implications and the 20,000 plus pages of regulation (and more coming) and I'm feeling done with it all too. Maybe I'll see you in Costa Rica, you won't miss me since I'll be the one with the big smile on my face that won't quit until I get back on the plane.

Comment

Working...
                                X