Well, That Didn't Take Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling it a night but just wanted to say it was great to read everyone's posts and updates. Cheers!
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes friends. On the last campaign I met some really great people and some really ugly people and am happy to report the great people outweighed the nasties by a comfortable margin! There's still hope for civility!

Thanks Pinecone for the support, getting sign locations is so damn hard.

Hey NS, it really is an ugly business and that low level bullshit is what causes most reasonable, competent people to say "no thanks". I hope your friend had the last laugh and won the election even after that cheap, classless action by the opponent.

I hope everyone has a great day/night. Take care friends.
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Welcome back! You are a good man.:h
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hi Everyone - so happy to see the posts here showing how well we are all doing! It seems like no one is struggling too much and that we're all staying strong!

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement about the cabin. I think it's going to be wonderful, really, ....... when I have minor misgivings it's just related to being very tied to my home on an emotional level. I have to say that I didn't really reminisce about it when I was in CO - so, I don't think I'll have any regrets once I'm gone. I'm just a home body and very attached to it here. I think I'll get over it quickly once I'm resettled. AND I just found out the coolest news. We have a trail right across the road from us that is 8 miles each way! I had been wondering where I was going to get my daily exercise and hoping I could find a nearby trail. THAT news just put me over the top about being excited for my new life! Just icing on the cake!! SO happy to have a spot so close by so I can just walk out the door and do a jog or walk........YAY

Alls, along the line with what NS was saying - I just heard a segment on NPR about the very subject of people sabotaging others by spreading unthruths, especially on Wikipedia. The subject matter wasn't related to politics but just about the ubiquitous nature of everything these days and how hard it is to retract or follow all of it - almost impossible to monitor. I can see how people would just say it's not worth it to run. Anyway, do keep us posted.

Free, glad you were able to do a quick check in. I now understand your (and ML's) frustration about the lack of internet connection. I had the same experience in CO, and it's kind of unnerving when you're used to being able to be in touch with the world and then suddenly not. I hope once we're set up in the cabin my connection works well. Well, safe travels. Do you have any plans once you retire? Sorry if I missed all the posts, but did you say you're really thinking of relocating to Costa Rica? I love the idea of CR because they have no military and just banned all zoos. They seem very forward thinking. My husband and I keep threatening to take a vacation there but just haven't made it so far - would like to though. Everyone I know who's been there loved it.

ML, I sold real estate for 7 years - also worked in administrative positions and taught school way back when (I only lasted 4 years at that) Anyway, it's like anything else - both positives and negatives. The best thing about it is that you're totally your own boss - truly like being self-employed (or as close as you can get without owning your own business). You work a lot for free if a client doesn't come through, but you don't have the stress and hassle of the corporate world. If you have a lot of contacts in your home town, you should think about doing it -- especially if you hate what you're doing now. Of course, the money is NOT reliable but is good when everything comes together! I can especially relate to your dilemma because my hubs and I are taking a big chance with his job - we are going to live much more conservatively to do this move and are jumping out there because LIFE IS SHORT!!

No Sugar - you post about possessions is spot on! I think a lot about how much stuff we all have and how unnecessary so much of it is. I think I'm about to become an expert in paring down! Oh, and thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Well, guess that's about it for me this morning. Hi to Pinecone and anyone else stopping by today.

xx,
          UN :lilheart:

Comment

Hi UN, you sound great. A quick clarification -- I'm hoping to retire in the spring, but not to Costa Rica -- I think that might have been allswell or mylife posts. Though I would love to visit CR!

Everyone sounds good -- I'm way behind at work, but that's good because it makes the nights in the hotel room go by quickly.

Let's keep going on this path together.

Warmest,
            Free at Last

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing great today. UN, I've posted a couple of times about researching Costa Rica, Ecuador, and Panama for retirement and was so surprised ML was looking at it too with the addition of Uruguay. Uruguay being way off of my radar but it's sparking some interest. Received some wonderful information on a resort in CR, my plan is to fly down there next spring or summer and see it first hand. I can't wait!

I'm so glad you found a great trail right out the door and so close to the cabin. An 8 mile out and back is an excellent workout and, from the looks of the photos, I'm sure it's a scenic, beautiful route. The clean air and peace and quiet must be awesome UN!

It's beautiful here, cool and very fall like right now, going to enjoy it before the sticky humid stuff comes back this weekend.

Take care All.
              2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Alls, would love to hear your take on CR when you go. Thanks for that clarification. ML, have you already been to CR? If so could you post about it? Sorry I missed a lot when I was in CO and didn't go back to read everything.

Free, I think I read on another thread that things are going well with your job? You're so lucky to like what you're doing!

Not much going on with me aside from readying for my move (like that isn't enough LOL). Still excited and looking forward to my new life. Alls, that trail is giving me extra incentive!

Hope everyone is doing well and staying strong.

xx,

Comment

Hi Unwanted
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9, thanks for stopping by. It helps so much to know others are out there rooting for us!

Not much new in my world today. Just the last month's push before the move. So, lots of organizing, packing, etc.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm so rested and feeling healthy -- both mentally and physically.

I now think of compulsive drinking/alcoholism as a mental illness. In my mind it is similar to a anorexia, bulimia, other drug use that morphs into the self-harm category. It helps for me to think of it that way.

Have a great day and weekend everyone.

Comment

Just a quick check in for me today. Still happily AF and feeling great. Hope everyone is well.

Comment

Hey UN, great to hear from you. I know a fair bit about moves (14.5 of them). It will all come together.

Today was great -- finally caught up on sleep (10 hours), ate well (meaning I avoided junk food), got some exercise, and now have an ok connection to chat on MWO. Life is good.
                        Free at Last

Comment

Hi UN,

That's good news about the trail near your cabin! Getting out into nature is so much more than just mere excercise. Good luck with your move, that's no fun but it can be a good time to evaluate your level of accumulated stuff. I know I have too much!

Tomorrow will be two weeks of meditating daily for me. There is definitely a tangible benefit.
                          Have a great AF day!
                          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Hello everyone,

Pinecone, I know exactly what you're saying about accumulating stuff and it's only when it's time to move that we inventory what to keep and what to toss. On the last move I said to myself "did I use or need this in the past 12 months?" and if the the answer was no it was donated or tossed. It made the process kind of mechanical which I loved since I didn't have to think about it or question why I'm getting rid of it.

On the meditation subject, does anyone have any experience with binaural beats? I'd be interested if anyone found the whole thing helpful.

Take care everyone!

Comment

Hi allswell, great to hear from you. I don't know if you are in the US, but wanted to recommed a great yoga/meditation retreat center -- Kripalu in Lenox, MA. I have been there numerous times. It's relatively inexpensive, the food is fantastic (also, no alcohol on the premises), and the people are friendly. They offer various meditation programs you might want to check out.

UN -- I know you have a cat, but you might need a dog to join you on those daily 8 mile hikes. He/She would love it. Just thinking....
                              Free at Last

Comment

Un I sent you a PM about CR I love it there! Your trail sounds perfect I am so happy for you!
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X