Cooking with wine or AL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking with wine or AL?

I often cook with wine, vermouth or sherry. Is it OK to have these around the house for culinary uses? I have never been tempted to drink these, despite being out of everything else in the house.
    I know others have. The flavors in the food, as far as I know, have never triggered any cravings. Has anyone else had to deal with this?
    I also love to barbeque, using bourbon in sauces and glazes. This I might be tempted to sip if it were around the house. Thoughts?

Cooking with wine or AL?

If it's a temptation, don't test yourself. The bourbon sounds like a temptation. The cooking wine? I know that not all al cooks out when cooking with al. If your goal is to be completely al free don't use it. Use something else. Broth or some fruit juices make good substitutes. I sometimes use tea for my roasts. Very tender and good.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

Mr V,
      I have avoided cooking with spirits for a few reasons.
      Mostly I just don't want an open bottle of anything around here, it would drive me nuts!!!! Open bottles always used to talk to me until I emptied them
      I do a lot of cooking for grandkids & they don't need that flavor in food anyway
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

I would definitely not keep any open bottles of AL in the cabinet even if it is for cooking - just too much of a temptation for me.

I do buy the cooking wine sometimes and use that if a recipe calls for it. They load the cooking wine with salt - so it really is not something you could drink.

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

Depends on you and your comfort zone. I sometimes take tinctures but I've never been inclined to drink a bottle of it.... yuk, can't say I've acquired a taste for that.
          Sam
          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

Samstone;1538812 wrote: Depends on you and your comfort zone. I sometimes take tinctures but I've never been inclined to drink a bottle of it.... yuk, can't say I've acquired a taste for that.
            Sam
            Agree. I have a bottle of whiskey in my car. I've never been tempted by it but then again, it wasn't my chosen poison. I'm fine with certain drinks lying around but wouldn't attempt to keep wine in the house, just in case.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

Moni - Curiosity has gotten the best of me. Why do you carry a bottle of whiskey in your car?

As for keeping any kind of alcohol in my home, even cough syrup, I can't do it. I found myself staring lovingly at a bottle of white wine vinegar one day, and I knew what I had to do: Everything out. I am weak in the presence of alcohol. Very weak.
              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
              pointed the way
              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

I don't have it in the house either. The day I drank peppermint schnapps to get a buzz was the clincher. Like Tess, I don't even keep cough syrup with AL on hand. I no longer cook with it, and I don't order foods with it in there, there's always another option. That's just me. So far, so good! I'm strong, but I am no match for Dick Head. :H Better safe than sorry! B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

I don't cook with it either. I made a beautiful pea and mussel soup the other day that called for white wine in the recipe - I didn't use it and it tasted wonderful. Similarly last week I got a recipe for chicken and mushrooms in cider and cream. I simply swapped the cider for a fizzy appleade and it was fantastic. In short, I don't see the need for it.
                  "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

No need for wine in cooking

I would not have wine in my house ever, my friends and family care about me so even if I am entertaining they are happy to be in my home and not drink! It is quite fun in cooking looking for other alternatives when wine is stated in the recipe, as you create something quite unique!
                    New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

Thanks for the thoughts all. Just read an article in the New York Times about cooking with wine, mostly about it's virtues, however when I read that not all alcohol burns off when cooking. Even after 30 minutes in a sauce, 1/3 of the alcohol can still remain.
                      Decision made. I'll have to adjust a few recipes. Yes keep bourbon around for a recipe is just plain stupid, as it's one of my drinks of choice. The others I wasn't so sure about. Now I know better.

Comment

Cooking with wine or AL?

I'd avoid any food which has had alcohol involved in it's preparation.
                        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
                        X