New to the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the site

Welcome everyone new lots of good advice and help here. You can do it if I am, really I am not kidding on that. I have doing so much better with my drinking since finding this site.

Sammys

Comment

New to the site

Welcome. Logging on and catching up on posts every night has been my very best defense in my struggle to avoid the nightly ritual of wine. I agree that I realized that I had a problem when I recognized the fact that I couldn't just stop drinking. I had to stop for a bottle of wine and even started hiding my drinking from my husband. My alcohol problem had snuck up on me and became a full-blown addiction. I also am following the MYO program, taking most of the vitamins, use the CDs, and have read the book a few times. The empathy and support from everyone here is tremendous. Good luck!

Julie

Comment

New to the site

Hi, I am new as well. I am also a "functioning alcohol dependent". I am a nurse, and every day off I struggle with the wine. I think that 99% of my problem is depression. When I was in school I put on about 20 lbs, which I also attribute to the wine, snacking while studying to counteract the wine and being sedentary due to the amount of required reading. I am completely alone at home. My only child is grown and married(I wanted at least 3 children, but my husband was selfish and would not compromise). Now I have gone through menopause at a relatively young age, with no hope of a truly happy family life. I will quit talking now, I don't wish to over indulge in a selfish manner, but I like knowing that there is someone out there with similar struggles. My husband hates it when I drink too much, but insists that he wants me to enjoy a drink as long as it is in moderation. I have decided not to buy wine and he will as a "surprise" have a bottle waiting for me. Not recently though, because in the last few weeks he has come home to find a sleeping wife on two or three occasions. Hope we can find a way to get this monkey off of our backs. Have a wonderful day. I am trying to stay strong, I wish the same for you!

Comment

New to the site

I'm new & LibraLeo thank you so much for saying you are AF 3 weeks. I haven't done 3 weeks in years. I can go a few days at a time but then drink again (white wine). Once I start I can't stop.
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

New to the site

I am new

:new:

Alcohol is a crappy disease. I can relate to much of what I have read on this site. Been to rehab twice & still cannot kick it. Lost some work & maybe my marriage. I try to go to a meeting once a day, but as my husband stashed my car away, I am following my sponsor's advice and trying to do online and/or phone sessions.

Any advice is helpful.
            :h

Comment

New to the site

The "sleeping wife" that could be me! Only you are in AL and I am in DC. I am so thankful to have found this site. I used to be wine, but my husband claimed Vodka did not leave a smell. Well, he was right for everyone except me. It does indeed leave a smell. Just not as obvious as wine.

Comment

New to the site

:welcome:
                wine lover, landsharkman, librleo, norma lynne cleo and retteacher,

You've found a wonderful support system here
                :h :h :h :h

Comment

New to the site

The support here is great. I used to drink until I passed out most nights. It got old and now I am here. My life has changed and I am such a better person now for myself and my family.
                  I hope you all stick around. Read the book, threads and keep posting.
                  "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

New to the site

Thanks for the advice. You've inspired me-maybe I'll begin to lose some of this weight. I think the hardest part is getting past the first couple of days of not drinking. I had planned to start yesterday-and had a rough day at the office and stopped on my way home. So-I've told myself that today will be the day. My husband and I are planning a walk this evening after dinner, and I think if I can stay busy I won't miss my nightly glass of wine...or two or three. When we are at the busiest part of the sports season with our kids, I hardly drink at all. I think a lot of it has to do with being indoors all winter.

Thanks again....let's see how it goes today! : )
                    "There is a difference between interest & commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

Comment

New to the site

Hello and welcome all newcomers!!

Winelover, I can only echo what the others have said -if you think you're drinking too much then you are! Your story sounds so, so familiar but it was a beautiful crisp Australian Sauvignon Blanc that did it for me!

But in the silver lining stakes - LibraLeo has mentioned losing a lot of weight in a pretty short time and I've just posted in another thread on this site complaining about losing too much weight!!!!!!

Good luck every one,

RR

Comment

New to the site

Still have not figured out the thread system...thought I was computer savvy. I went to jail for my DUI I DO NOT recommend this experience. It is nothing like your atty. would tell you!

Comment

New to the site

Love the wine, too!

Hi Winelover. We have the same story. I also drink comfortably 3 glasses of wine in the evening and a bottle each weekend day. Luckily here the stores sell alcohol after noon on Sundays. However, my husband drinks only socially and he has major concerns that I need that daily alcohol. If it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't think I had a problem! I've never missed work, rarely have a hangover, also went back to school and got a 4.0 GPA and sat for the CPA exam and passed. I am a top level executive at a successful company and no one in my family or at work would even guess that I have a problem. It's only my husband who actually see's what I do EVERY day. And I have to admit, he's right. So, that's why I thought this site would help. I'm trying to find out how other "successful" people deal with this drinking problem! I've really been trying to cut down for a month now, since a major blow-out at home with my husband. I've cut down to 2 drinks and actually take a couple nights off of drinking during the week, but it's VERY hard. I can't even imagine a weekend going by without alcohol at this point...

Comment

New to the site

Lets imagine

Hey trying - lets put on those headphones and imagine this weekend AF. See us all happy on Mon morning? And welcome Landshark, Wine Lover, Cleo and Libra. I've just been here 2 weeks but it is soooooo helpful.

Comment

New to the site

Wine lover and landshark.

Welcome - you have just found the family that everyone could ever wish for...... welcome aboard the good ship myo.

Lxxx
                              Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Working...
                              X