The Glamour of it all!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Glamour of it all!!!

Hi Everyone, I was out walking to the supermarket today and passed the window of the bottle shop. On each window there were photos of people laughing and drinking wine. Everyone looked happy and very surfisticated. Another photo showed a glass of whisky with some ice swilling around in the glass and another a bottle of champagne being popped. I thought of the misery al has caused me over years of heavy drinking and wondered how many young people seeing these photos would be sucked into alcohols grip and finish up a total mess like me. It is so glamourtised. I have had only a couple of drinks in nearly 3 months now and are slowly winning the struggle. It has not been easy, but when I look where I was 3 mths ago chugging down 2 bott3es of wine a day, I have come a long way. It has not been easy but with support from u guys, I am slowly getting there. Hope everyone has a nice af weekend. I am looking fwd to spending it af. Who is with me? :thumbs::thumbs: I will be checking in lots as we have family here and there will be some booze.

The Glamour of it all!!!

Yeah over here there are guidelines for alcohol advertising. They aren't supposed to show it being glamorous, attracting the opposite sex, doing certain things but they get around it.

I'll be having an AF weekend so you won't be alone.

If anyone is really interested you could read the links to the UK standards at the bottom of this page Alcohol advertising - Advertising Standards Authority

Here's a line from the non-broadcast rules Marketing communications must neither link alcohol with seduction, sexual activity or
    sexual success nor imply that alcohol can enhance attractiveness.

Hmmm.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

I agree with UKBlonde, Hadit. They get around the legislation so that it still looks appealing. If you don't drink whisky, our ads will tell you, then you are unintelligent and unlikely to be attractive. The strange thing is though, when I drink I suddenly become a buffoon that no one would look twice at except to say, "Thank f**k I'm not him!"

I'm in for an AF weekend (well, an AF life actually)
      "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

G'day Hadit.

Yes, it's all a load of BS#^$. I need to counter those images with ones i see in real life, or a story/movie where someone has been triumphant over AL. I try to balance the BS 'glam' of AL with the much realer glam of living sober.

Sober is glamorous! (no, i don't wear a frock on weekends)

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

hadit;1539114 wrote: Hi Everyone, I was out walking to the supermarket today and passed the window of the bottle shop. On each window there were photos of people laughing and drinking wine. Everyone looked happy and very surfisticated. Another photo showed a glass of whisky with some ice swilling around in the glass and another a bottle of champagne being popped. I thought of the misery al has caused me over years of heavy drinking and wondered how many young people seeing these photos would be sucked into alcohols grip and finish up a total mess like me. It is so glamourtised. I have had only a couple of drinks in nearly 3 months now and are slowly winning the struggle. It has not been easy, but when I look where I was 3 mths ago chugging down 2 bott3es of wine a day, I have come a long way. It has not been easy but with support from u guys, I am slowly getting there. Hope everyone has a nice af weekend. I am looking fwd to spending it af. Who is with me? :thumbs::thumbs: I will be checking in lots as we have family here and there will be some booze.
          It's a great point you make Hadit. Maybe they should show the real images. People throwing up, young girls passed out in the street, young guys mad with it and fighting even though they can barely stand up. Oh aye, it really is dead glamorous.

G man, you are so right, sober is so much more glamorous! (are you sure about the frock? Just a wee touch of lipstick even?)

They get around the legislation so that it still looks appealing
          Neddy, Blonde, it seems all they have to do is throw a tiny wee 'please drink responsibly' in somewhere and they can show what they like!
          Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

broken halo;1539177 wrote: It's a great point you make Hadit. Maybe they should show the real images. People throwing up, young girls passed out in the street, young guys mad with it and fighting even though they can barely stand up. Oh aye, it really is dead glamorous.

G man, you are so right, sober is so much more glamorous! (are you sure about the frock? Just a wee touch of lipstick even?)

Neddy, Blonde, it seems all they have to do is throw a tiny wee 'please drink responsibly' in somewhere and they can show what they like!
            As I always say G-man: "Don't Knock the frock!"

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

It is ridiculous the way alcohol is glamorized. I subscribe to a cooking magazine and every other page is an ad for alcohol. Every other page has recipes for cocktails. I had to put the magazine down and thought that I don't need to be reading this right now. It's a trap and it scares me because its how I got hooked and my kids are in their early 20s.

Hadit. I am up for an A F weekend and will be checking in.
              Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
              [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

Here's a thread with some good counterpoints: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...lie-73649.html

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

It always disgusts me to see the posters at liquor stores with women in bikinis advertising beer....um....I drank A LOT of beer and never looked like that! It's so STUPID that they try to convince us that one thing (drinking) leads to another (hot bodies). For me, drinking led to handcuffs, DUI's and a cellmate named Diablo. Put THAT on a poster!
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

That poster will probably be next to the one of me, hands around the WC vomiting, with tears streaming down my face. NOT a pretty sight!

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

K9Lover;1539267 wrote: It always disgusts me to see the posters at liquor stores with women in bikinis advertising beer....um....I drank A LOT of beer and never looked like that! It's so STUPID that they try to convince us that one thing (drinking) leads to another (hot bodies). For me, drinking led to handcuffs, DUI's and a cellmate named Diablo. Put THAT on a poster!
                      I get annoyed at soaps and films, the characters never look hung over and puffy, no red faces when drinking.
                      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

When I start to think about drinking in that romantic glamorous way I envision the characters of that movie "Rain in my Heart?" with that poor young lad downing tumblers of red wine and puking it straight up.
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

3June2013;1539429 wrote: When I start to think about drinking in that romantic glamorous way I envision the characters of that movie "Rain in my Heart?" with that poor young lad downing tumblers of red wine and puking it straight up.
                          Yes, that was upsetting to me too. It didn't even hit his stomach before his body was rejecting it. It's sad...his body was BEGGING him to quit poisoning it. The lady in her 40's (that looked 80) made me sad too.
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

Have you seen the new brand "Skinny Girl" wines? I get so mad. How misleading.
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

The Glamour of it all!!!

Thanks guys for you comments. We all need to be reminded now and then the crap thrown at us about alcohol!!! I see very young girls where we go for Italian food drinking out of nice wine glasses and having a fun time. I used to be like that, until the bastard turned on me big time and made eating out fun until the booze took over and I become a person whom I am not proud of!! I can't help but feel this nation will have so so many alkies in years to come. We are probably already there IF you look at the stats. Australians will drink at any time for any event!!! Its can't be normal. I am so glad that finally I THINK I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT. I know I have a long way to go, but truly do love being sober. I am so much more productive. I have had the odd slip here and there but overall I am in such a stronger place to say no to al and mean it! Please check in everyone this weekend. I will be, as I have a dinner to go to tonight. Love u guys and thanks. Have a nice we free of al.:l:l

Comment

Working...
                              X