Realisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realisation

Good job resisting another drink to make yourself feel better. As UN said, use this experience to strengthen your resolve and move forward again. You can do this!!
    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Realisation

Hey guys, haven't posted for a couple of weeks so thought I'd drop in. I've started a new job so that's keeping me off the drink in theweek as the job is just too high pressure to be able to do hungover. Must admit I am still drinking on a friday sometimes after work but always a saturday when I'm at the football. Always have the sunday AF so I'm ready for the week of work ahead. I've also started exercising more, playing squash on a thursday night and going cycling on the sunday. I am feeling a lot better but not where I want to be exactly.

How is everyone?

Comment

Realisation

Hi Chimpy,

I just came across your thread and I am glad to see you came back today. This forum helped me turn my life around 3 years ago and I will be forever grateful to the wonderful folks who hang out here, offer advice, and provide support. You are in a good space here.

One thing that I found helpful in my early stages of becoming AF was to make a list of the things that I do NOT miss about alcohol. The #1 item on my list was spending at least half the hours in every day recovering from my drinking the previous night!

My biggest 'epiphany' moment was that I had to re-discover who I really was without hiding behind alcohol. And I have found that I really, really like who I am and life without alcohol is wonderful. Period.

I wish you the best. I encourage you to make that list. And continue to come back here often.
        John
        AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Realisation

paguy;1560310 wrote: Hi Chimpy,

I just came across your thread and I am glad to see you came back today. This forum helped me turn my life around 3 years ago and I will be forever grateful to the wonderful folks who hang out here, offer advice, and provide support. You are in a good space here.

One thing that I found helpful in my early stages of becoming AF was to make a list of the things that I do NOT miss about alcohol. The #1 item on my list was spending at least half the hours in every day recovering from my drinking the previous night!

My biggest 'epiphany' moment was that I had to re-discover who I really was without hiding behind alcohol. And I have found that I really, really like who I am and life without alcohol is wonderful. Period.

I wish you the best. I encourage you to make that list. And continue to come back here often.
          Thanks for that.

I am in a similar sort of situation where I don't really know who I am on a night out without drinking. Especially as I have always suffered with social anxiety so I'm on that learning curve of trying to be myself without drink.

Comment

Realisation

Hey Chimpy. Good to see you back. I totally understand about the social anxiety thing, and wish I had some good advice, but I guess we'll figure out as we go along. It has to be better than what we did in the past, right? I'm proud of you for giving this your all. Stay close.

Comment

Realisation

Chimpy you like to read so check out Allen Carr's Easyway to Control Alcohol. It really has helped me through this. It also explains social anxiety and I found that after reading it I was much more relaxed socially.
              Just keep fighting. Don't stop trying.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Realisation

Mossy so glad to see you here you. I have been thinking about you. Hope you are ok.
                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Realisation

Doing good LB. Took a short vacation and went to see old friends. No access to the Internet for a few days. It was good for my soul. Feeling strong. Sorry for the hijack Chimpy.

Comment

Realisation

No worries guys. LB I will check that book out

Comment

Realisation

Chimpy - what new job?? This sounds exciting and good. Sorry it's high-pressure, but is it interesting? Tell us about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X