Can't seem to make it stick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to this site & forum, and I just registered. I guess that's my way of publically admitting that I have a serious drinking problem. I can go for a few days wo/alcohol, but beyond that is very difficult for me. Last week, after binging early in the week, I stopped Thurs, Fri, and Sat. On Sunday (Easter), we went to a friend's home for brunch, & as soon as I saw the champayne on the beverage table, I was off & running. Once I start, I cannot stop. I hide it well, but I know I've screwed up at times. I regret the many times I've missed out on great events, because I went too far w/alcohol. I want to stop all together, because I'm not the type of person who can have 1, 2, or even 3 drinks. I'm going to check in to this site frequently. Thank you for being there.
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Welcome, glad your here and you are among friends. You have made the first very important step. Download the book and start readin away. You can achieve this.
    Read and post read and post. And we'll get ya goin from there.
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Thank you for your warm welcome. Do you have a specific time, frequency, & duation that you check in to this forum? Daily?
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Gabby, I see you are 10 months AF. What a wonderful thing! Do you still get cravings after all that time?
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Welcome Retteacher,
          Glad you found us and you will also find that many people here are going through the same thing.

I hope you do stick around! Keep posting and reading.
          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

:welcome: To MWO!
            I am the same way about drinking anything at all.
            The cds really help and the supplements also.
            I send alot of time on here reading to fill time. It really helps when you get a "crave".
            This site is "open" 24/7!
            Watch out though ......it can be addicting!:H

:l Nancy
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Reteacher,
              I wish I could say no. But I can say it is much much less. At first it was all the time. I thought would I ever stop this constant thinkin I want a beer I want a beer. Each time I passed a liquor store its like it jumped out in front of me. It seemed like a forever fight. But it did get easier every day - and easier every week. At first I thought I would only give myself 30 days of sobriety then go moderation. But then I reached my goal and I thought heck.....I think I'll just see how long I can go. Then before ya know it I had two months. Then 2 and a half months and so on and so on. Now dont get me wrong. Always I would get cravings. But less and less intense. Sometimes I go a long time with out even thinkin about drinkin. And then I may have a strong craving. You do have to exersise your willpower. Ya have to want it. Set your mind to it. Gear up for it, psyche yourself up and if ya mess up ya gotta get back up and keep on goin like ya didnt mess up. We were at the steak house the other night and the beer there looked so good. When I stress out - ya....I wanna drink. But I can manage it now. I dont wanna give up my sobriety. I dont wanna go back there. I like where I am even during the bad days. I do still take topamax tho. And I have a supportive guy in my life too. But bottom line....I know I am doin it and thats what you gotta do. I know its hard I have been there. We all have. Gonna look for an old post I wrote. It turned out good it may help.
              Gabby :flower:

Comment

:welcome: Retteacher,

You'll be amazed at how quickly your life will change once you're off alcohol - and once you find the wonderful things that take its place, as Gabby says it's not something you want to go back to. Good luck with everything and look forward to getting to know you better as you take control of your life!

All the best,
                :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                Goals:
                Days 1-7 DONE
                Days 8-14 DONE
                Days 15-21 DONE
                30 days DONE
                60 days
                100 days

Comment

ENJOYED YOUR CANDIDNESS. I TOO AM IN THE SAME SITUATION. WEIGHT GAIN WAS MY PRIME MOTIVATOR. I SHOT UP TO A POINT THAT I MUST HAVE BEEN IN IN DENIAL UNTIL I SAW THE PHOTOS. i WISH YOU GREAT SUCCESS AND WILL CHECK IN TO REVIEW YOUR PROGRESS. PLEASE KEEP STRONG AS I SEEM TO BE LEANING ON YOU AS I CAN RELATE SO MUCH TO YOUR STRUGGLES.

Comment

Reteach and Halle, welcome to an amazing community. If you haven't downloaded and read the book I highly recommend you do if you can as it will give some great insight and history here. It also contains info about supplementation and meds that me be a big help. And keep sharing your thoughts and stories!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

hello, i feel same as many of you. i too am one those who cannot have just a few. once i start on one, thats it, i just keep on going until i'm really feeling ill or make a complete fool of myself. i've tried over and over-in the past 4 or 5 years- to have only one, two, or even three. i promise myself not to get drunk. haa!! i break my promise again and again. so i'm on day two-again. day three is hardest. thats when i feel ok again, after a week or two of daily drinking-lots-then i think i can control it this time. never, never, never. i must completely stop.it's killing me-it's killing my family. i am addicted. i hate it now, and want to fight it off-for good. wow, this feels good just to admit everything! honestly! Katie

Comment

I can relate. Guess that's why they call it an addiction. I hide it well, but I can't hide it from myself anymore. I have more excusses for not showing up, working from home, but I'm sure you all know the routine well. My employer thinks I have some life threatening disease (and I do), but if they knew it was alcohol abuse their tolerance would quickly wane. A number of years ago I tried honesty with another employer, and they were supportive, but in the end I would never share it with an employer again, esp in a larger bureaucratic type organization.

Comment

Working...
                        X