Newbie Here. Needing Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am good, just drinking my daily 5-6 beers, and thinking of how to stop. I have drank that much for the last 20 years or so, sometimes less, sometimes more. Seriously thinking of how to stop, and not sure of what to expect. Scared. Very Scared. What prompted me to do so, my health. Whenever I drink, I vasodiolate, sweat at night, cannot concentrate the next day, and have started to shake a bit. I am planning a trip to a doctor in the next week. I have to dry out, but the anxiety is driving me crazy. Keeping me up at night. My worry over my health is driving me crazy at night.

If I take a day off, symptoms lessen, that is good. But I join here to share experiences, and to aid in my daily work towards sobriety.

I am 40 y/o.

Thank you for your advice.

Thanks.
    B.

Hi NewDay and welcome. You have come to the right spot. Like you I drank everyday, one to two bottles of wine, woke with a hangover, bad shakes, thought my body was breaking down, new I needed to do something so I came back to MWO and up to Day 4 now. I think we are all scared about stopping but if we dont the consequences are much worse.

There is so much advice on here but all i wanted to say was welcome and keep posting. I am on Day 4 and after 20+ years of drinking I am proud of myself. I want many more AF days to come fingers crossed.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

That is really inspiring. I am just scared about my health. Afraid that I have done serious damage, and realized that I need to go get help.

I have looked at sites to go to, to talk and get feed back, to help, but have not found any before this one.

I am cutting down, and and looking forward to just feeling better.

Thank you for your advice.

Comment

I've tried cutting down and you will find that most of us here have also, i have decided none at all. I am that scared for my health I wont go to the drs, yes logical I know and i can feel what AL was doing to my body. Each day I am feeling so much healthier in mind and body. The witching hour of 5pm is horrible but I do things different so I dont go straight to the fridge.

This site is wonderful, i waffle on all day and there is always someone here to give advice. Good luck NewDay and hope to chat some more. I'm at work so best be going to lunch now lol.

Where are you from?
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I am from Florida. My cravings start at around 3pm each day. :upset:

Comment

I am looking to go AL free for many days. Each hour past my "crave hour" I always feel better and better. So, I hope to dry out and see my Dr. Get some tests. Just don't know what to expect.

I really appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.

Comment

Hi NewDay,

Welcome and sending you some support. You can do this! This place will give you TOOLS and SUPPORT for your quit. I can relate to your fear and anxiety. Those feelings kept me drinking for years longer than I wanted to. I now strongly believe that those feelings were a result of drinking. I thought I always had some low grade anxiety issues, but they went away after I quit. I was also terrified to picture my life without a few beers (usually more, but that's how I pictured it). That fear was totally unjustified. By quitting I have found myself again. If you quit, I promise you'll never regret it. I'm glad you found us.
              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Hi New Day, and :welcome:

Just wanted to say that I too had anxiety that went away after I quit drinking. I worried about my health and could never let myself be comfortable knowing that I might be damaging myself internally.

Please be sure to read around the site and don't miss the Tool Box under Monthly Abstinence. There's lots of good advice there about cravings. Eating the right things and drinking water with lemon can really help stave them off.

Best to you,
                UN

Comment

Hi everyone & A New Day: I too had tons of anxiety about stopping drinking.
                  -How will I ever have fun?
                  -How will I cope w/life?
                  -How will I get through conflicts?
                  -etc.

I've found that I have so much more fun sober & am learning to live life properly. I was so filled w/anxiety from all the drinking years that I could barely drive my car. I became very isolated. Of course, I worried about how I was damaging my aging body.

I got sober in 2009 & stayed sober for 3 years. I then "decided" I could drink normally again. Well, that didn't work of course, as I'm an alcoholic compulsive drinker & was right back to all the sick behaviors & drinking very, very quickly.

I'm now almost a year sober (Oct. 3rd is my first anniv.). I must admit it was harder the second time to stay sober, but I did it. I don't plan on drinking again. When I feel tempted, I remember back to all the disturbing drinking experiences of the past. Alcoholism for me is a progressive disease. I was a social drinker once but crossed the line. Now, I find that moderation is just not something I can accomplish.

Good luck. I hope you'll be honest w/the doc when you see him/her. I wasn't honest & went unrecognized for a long, long time.

Mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                  X