Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming business trip and possible strategies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for a Fortune 50 company and our sales meetings are a free for all. I am one of a handful of women in a male dominated business. Imagine the drinks I've been handed over the years! I've learned a couple of things...you do need to be seen by your boss and the other higher ups, so make a point to speak to them, but I don't have to be the first one down there and the last one to leave anymore. The worst part is at first, the cocktail hour. Get there the last 15 minutes and get in line at the bar and get a drink of club soda or something in your hand. Use this as a deterrent. At dinner, you can turn your wine glass upside down or just decline. After dinner, if you want to mingle, fine, but believe me, nothing much worthwhile happens after 9 o'clock. I've heard the same stories by the same people for 25 years!! You won't be missing a thing...just slip quietly back to your room. Announcing it to people makes them kick into high gear....(oh, don't be a party pooper, just stay and have one more! ) Just slip quietly away and NO ONE will be the wiser. If I can do this in my industry, you can, too. If someone says something, say you've been having some GI issues (make it sound like an ulcer if you have to). You will quickly see what AL does to people. Like Lil Beagle said, hold on to your quit like a pot of gold!
    We had a meeting in Las Vegas, too. I one night I set out to find wonderful cookies while the others were at the bar. In our meeting the next day, I shared my cookies and everyone wondered where I found the time to find these treats!!! (I didn't waste 6 hours at the bar the night before!!!).
    Be a hero in your own mind, stay the course and do not give in no matter what and no matter who. There will be people there who don't drink... and they survive!!! Be one of them!! All the best, Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdlady;1549859 wrote: I work for a Fortune 50 company and our sales meetings are a free for all. I am one of a handful of women in a male dominated business. Imagine the drinks I've been handed over the years! I've learned a couple of things...you do need to be seen by your boss and the other higher ups, so make a point to speak to them, but I don't have to be the first one down there and the last one to leave anymore. The worst part is at first, the cocktail hour. Get there the last 15 minutes and get in line at the bar and get a drink of club soda or something in your hand. Use this as a deterrent. At dinner, you can turn your wine glass upside down or just decline. After dinner, if you want to mingle, fine, but believe me, nothing much worthwhile happens after 9 o'clock. I've heard the same stories by the same people for 25 years!! You won't be missing a thing...just slip quietly back to your room. Announcing it to people makes them kick into high gear....(oh, don't be a party pooper, just stay and have one more! ) Just slip quietly away and NO ONE will be the wiser. If I can do this in my industry, you can, too. If someone says something, say you've been having some GI issues (make it sound like an ulcer if you have to). You will quickly see what AL does to people. Like Lil Beagle said, hold on to your quit like a pot of gold!
      We had a meeting in Las Vegas, too. I one night I set out to find wonderful cookies while the others were at the bar. In our meeting the next day, I shared my cookies and everyone wondered where I found the time to find these treats!!! (I didn't waste 6 hours at the bar the night before!!!).
      Be a hero in your own mind, stay the course and do not give in no matter what and no matter who. There will be people there who don't drink... and they survive!!! Be one of them!! All the best, Byrdie
      Thanks for the tips Byrd!

This is not my first rodeo of course, I have been to several of these events before, this is just the first one since putting down the bottle, and, ironically enough, just also happens to be the same time they schedule one in sin city.

I got to admit though, with each passing day, I am feeling more and more confident about the situation. This is my chance to shine and show everybody that I can be a leader, and hopefully I will be able to do both myself and my organization proud in the process.
      In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Bumped this thread up for Poppy. Some good advice regarding your upcoming business trip. Worked for C-Dev at the time
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Hi C D lots of good advice there . I am a women so think there is less pressure to drink or people are more excepting of you ordering a soft drink. I have been to a business dinner tonight and did not drink I looked at other people drinking and thought the contents of their glass was my enemy not a dearly missed friend. I just ordered my lime soda and said I dont feel like drinking and moved the conversation on . Another suggestion is taking some antrobus on the evenings you may feel pressured to drink as they really will make you unwell if you drink. Know meds arnt the way to go for everybody but as an occasional extra help might be an idea . Signing off very sober and happy from my hotel room !! Stay strong buddy xx
          AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Comment

Another point I have a small silver key on a chain that I have started wearing not got time to post the whole story of they key right now but I will at some point. But in short the key is symbolic for me that being sober is my key out the prison of shame, gulit, embarassement, despair, humiliation and despression that drink put me in. When I first went into the bar tonight I rubbed the key between my fingers to remind myself that I could easily go back to place again if I started drinking, another memeber suggested this to me and it really helped x
            AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Comment

Poppy, good for you. You stayed strong in a tempting situation. Not easy, but you did it!

C-dev - where are you?? We all miss you. Please c'mon back and let us know how things are going.
              Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Working...
              X