Empathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empathy

Hey All....I am writing this at the risk of being late for work but want to get it off my chest before I forget....

I was watching the Today Show this morning and they did an interview with Mike Tyson. I have never been a Mike Tyson fan. While doing a press conference, he confessed that he was an alcoholic who has fallen off the wagon and he was on Day 6. When Matt Lauer interviewed him on Day 7, he was definitely struggling with the demons inside his head. He talked about how hard it was just getting to Day 7 and how he wasn't sure he like his sober self.

I can list a million reasons why I HATE having this addiction but one thing that I am thankful for is that it gives me empathy toward those that have this addiction, even if I don't like them. I felt nothing but complete compassion for this man. So I am grateful for the empathy and compassion that this addiction gives me toward those that are also struggling.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.....hope everyone has a great day!
    Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
    [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Empathy

We alcoholics are subject to a full specrum of emotions including negative stereotypes such as derision and prejudice. I would love to tell my co-workers that I'm an alcoholic and I'm sure that on the surface I'd get the ole slap on the back, way to go reaction for staying sober. Behind my back though I can here the snickesr, the conversations between hiring managers regarding promotion( "can we trust him, he is a drunk afterall" et al.) I'm not paranoid because I've witnessed it first hand and not just at small Mom and Pop companies...(Ive worked for some of the largest companies in the world. As an alcoholic I have extreme empathy for folks that are going through the same struggle as I am, I'm just not sure that the sober world can ever trust or truely empathize with me. There is a reason why the second A in AA is so important.
    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Empathy

im with you miley,since i live here in vegas i see tons of alcoholics,one morning a guy staggered into my shop,said he needed just a dollar to buy a beer to take his shakes away,i just wanted to hug him,people who havent gone through this b.s have no idea what a hold it has on you,even with sober time its still a constant battle,so yeah i do have empathy for the poor souls i see
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Empathy

Woops, I have a heck of a time typing on my Kindle. I know here isnt the same as hear and snickers isnt spelled snickrs Just saying :H
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Empathy

Amen, Miley. You just don't know until you've walked a mile in the shoes...Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Empathy

I couldn't agree more Miley, I have a special place in my heart for alcoholics and addicts...nobody around me understands it. I want to give them a hug, not look away in disgust. My heart breaks for them. Maybe that's why I am so determined to get into the police/jail environment...I have empathy for them!
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Empathy

I can so completely relate to this post. I relate it to people who just LOVE to eat. I really cant understand that. People who are thinking about their next meal and what they will eat people who will eat till their stomach hurts. I have a hard time with this but I understand the alcohol issue. I eat to live not vice versa but I understand the term Live to drink. sadly. that is why I am back and i am here and i am going to really try to beat this demon. when i see someone struggling I can completely understand why they are because I do. I hate it for anyone going through it. Thank you for the post this morning. I had no idea about Mike Tyson.

Comment

Empathy

A woman (girl, really) came into my office the other day and she was high as a kite. She was crying and sniffling and so jittery. She wanted to file a complaint against the Police Department. My co-workers wanted to get her out of here as soon as possible, whereas I wanted to take her outside and talk to her...but that's not my job...although I really think that's the career path I should have chosen! My heart went out to her and I wanted to know what happened to her...not just scoot her out the door.
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Empathy

I have to agree with you all ......there all sorts of additions that people are trying to overcome and struggling with there additctions .......
                  dont think I would have put myself in the postion the young man did on day 6 your emotions are still raw and all over the place

Comment

Empathy

I have to agree with you all ......there all sorts of additions that people are trying to overcome and struggling with there additctions .......
                    dont think I would have put myself in the postion the young man did on day 6 your emotions are still raw and all over the place

Comment

Empathy

I agree with everyone. For me it gives me empathy towards everyone. Everyone is fighting their own secret battle....no matter how much they look like they got their shit together.

Although I do find it hard to deal with people who pass judgement.

Comment

Empathy

Like I said earlier...I don't like this addiction at all....It is hell; however, like Sunflower said.....it actually gives me empathy toward everyone fighting something. The key to what you said SF is "secret battle"...so many of us with issues spend so much time trying to keep it a secret. I find that even those that pass judgement have issues because all of us have issues in one way or another. I find it a blessing that those of us on MWO at least realize we have issues and are trying to deal with them!
                        Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
                        [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

Empathy

It is hell Miley and can be so complicated sometimes. My dear friends who got sober with me are completely gone....I lost one to the insanity of her ex husband and terribly mentally I'll children and the other to religious zealotry...not speaking against religion but when your best friend texts you how you are now going to burn in hell and that you worship a Dead God...whereas she worships the one true living God...and how terrible you are because you took all the children to that Pagan Festival...( that would be Easter) yikes! ....I admit I am having a tough time empathising with them. I loved them so much. Thought we and our children would always be there for each other ...when we all decided to stop drinking, we did that together...but then.....

I think I would find it easier to have compassion for Mike Tyson I'm afraid. For my dear lost frends I just have so much pain...but I want them to be happy. I really do. I just wish we could have all been in this together ...

Sorry for the ramble...still struggling. But not drinking...
                          :h

PS- OMG..Out of the clear blue, Madison just said across the room...'I miss them So Much..' when I asked who she was talking about she said the names of my girlfriend's children who i lost to the religion. Her children were also my children's best friends.....
                          Where's Mike Tyson when you need him...
                          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Empathy

Those who pass judgement have the biggest issue of all. I think CR really opened my eyes to how many issues people deal with. We are lucky in a sense because there is tons of help out there....its just finding it....and finding what will work for you.

Kradle I too have lost friends. Some have died. A few because of disagreements on "how I should be getting sober"...which of course is THEIR way. Of course when their way did not work for me....I was in denial or whatever babble they wanted to shell out.

This thing is baffling and there is no one way. I believe it is because the underlying issues of why we drink are a personal tangled web.

Comment

Empathy

K9Lover;1549823 wrote: A woman (girl, really) came into my office the other day and she was high as a kite. She was crying and sniffling and so jittery. She wanted to file a complaint against the Police Department. My co-workers wanted to get her out of here as soon as possible, whereas I wanted to take her outside and talk to her...but that's not my job...although I really think that's the career path I should have chosen! My heart went out to her and I wanted to know what happened to her...not just scoot her out the door.
                              You can still choose that career path Niner. Why don't you look into it?

Agreed Miley!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X