Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand New and Feeling Old

Hey All,

This site looks encouragingly different - I really need to change as I have used alcohol to mask depression a number of times, and each time get a little more dissapointed with myself for the sheer stupidity. Would gretaly welcome tips on how to abstain for good and any other esteem boosting advice - all love nick :-)

Hello there Nick and Welcome,

I'll jump in here since I happen to be hangin' around the site (wondering whether to initiate a thread on another matter...)

Nick, the best and simplest first advice is to read the MWO book (downloadable) that sets out the program, which most of us have followed. If you haven't yet read the book it really is the very best place to start and I can assure you that it WILL strike a chord with you.

The MWO program comprises a number of element including medication, supplements and Hypnotherapy CDs, which combine to form an integrated program. Not everyone uses , or needs to use, all elements of the program although I am using the full program - so far with great success!

Another fantastic weapon in the arsenal is this site - heaps of assistance here for you, so read and post often (I should take my own good advice re this last part!)

Good luck,

RR

Comment

Welcome Nick, ditto to red robin. Good luck keep reading and posting.

Comment

Hi Nick & :welcome:

I used to drink for depression as well, and it took me finding this place to realise that it was causing the depression and not curing it at all, just a vicious circle.

Read as much here as you possibly can there are so many different people and ideas here that you lots of usefull stuff to help you on your journey.

All the best
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Yes welcome Nick.

This site is different, and is full of tips on Abstaining or moderating whatever you chose. But do try and read the book, then you'll know what we're talking about. Also, if you don't understand anything, or have a question that you need to ask, there's always someone here to talk. That's the best bit, the support of everyone.

good luck
          xx

Comment

Yup RedR summed it up so eloquently!
            Welcome & Glad you found us!
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Read all the posts you can, try whatever meds or supps you think will help. Use the program to the fullest extent even you are starting out slow, little by little works to.

Sammys

Comment

Read, read, read. You will find a different kind of support here. Quality information, and friends any time of the night or day. From all over the world.
                Take care,
                Anemone

Comment

Hey Nick, or Abhaya welcome (I'm new to this game too)
                  Alcohol is not really the answer to depression as you and I are well aware!! I suffer from depression and am on anti-depressant. Go see your doctor. If you are depressed, it, like this alcohol thing, is an actual disease - a chemical imbalance in the brain. I take a seratonin re-uptake inhibitor. Your brain creates seratonin and releases it in small amounts when needed, however, (in simple terms) if the release mechanism does not close quickly enough, the seratonin released can be sucked back into the release mechanism. This I need a chemical that prevents the seratonin from being "re-uptaken" or sucked back in, allowing it to spread out into the blood stream and around the brain (and elsewhere) to make me feel better.

I also need to stop this drinking thing and have a total of 4 days now behind me AF and working on my 5th. Good luck, this site has helped me a lot in the last few days, I hope it helps you.
                  :racer:

Comment

Hi Nick,

good to have you with us! - can't add anything so just a big :welcome: and hope to hear more from you as time goes on and you work out what works best for you... Best of luck!

and Landsharkman - great on the 4/5 days! that's brilliant news:goodjob:
                    :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                    Goals:
                    Days 1-7 DONE
                    Days 8-14 DONE
                    Days 15-21 DONE
                    30 days DONE
                    60 days
                    100 days

Comment

Welcome Nick. I second all of the other advice given so far. Can't stress enough, spend time reading and posting here.
                      :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

Guys,

Thanks so much for the replies - as I am sure you all know feels great to know that people care and you are not on your own - I am off to dowload the book now - I will keep checking back and reading as much as I can :-)

Nick / Abhaya

Comment

Working...
                        X