The view from Day 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The view from Day 5

Day 5: While I?m fidgety and anxious, I?m feeling stronger than I have in months (perhaps years). My AL consumption has impacted every area of my life these past few years and while I have known this, I have minimized just how much. I made the decision to take some time off of work to get my personal life in order. This was a tough decision, for I feared it would free me up to drink more, earlier, but the fighter in me is resurfacing, and she knows what I need. My boss was very understanding and while he doesn?t know the exact cause of my absence, he trusts me enough to know that if I?m asking for it, I need it. I feel guilty for taking this time, another cause of anxiety, but deep down, I know I need it. I also feel some shame, thinking that maybe my co-workers know why I?m off, that my problems with AL are not as well hidden as I think they are but I have to maintain the attitude that what other people think of me at this point is none of my business?what I think of myself is really all I need to focus on.

I have been formulating a plan every evening for the next day?s activities and sticking to it. I?m keeping busy with the things that truly matter to me, my children, my home and my inner self. I got the keys to our new house yesterday and we brought over our first load of boxes after dinner last night. While the boys ran around, claiming their bedrooms and planning their media room set up, the previous owner offered me a glass of wine. It?s funny, when I first decided on this house one of the attractions in my mind was how lovely it would be to sit on the deck overlooking the lake at sunset and have a glass of wine. I politely declined the offer, requesting water instead, and sat on the deck overlooking the lake, watching the sunset, feeling hydrated and alive! It was easy?there was no hesitation. It?s like a switch has clicked over the past couple days and the thought of consuming AL causes more anxiety than no longer having it as an option in my life. I have booze in the house?gin?my second favourite drink and it is sitting on the buffet waiting to be packed. I haven?t even considered a gin and tonic. It?s weird.

Perhaps I have come to truly understand that booze in and of itself is not my problem but merely a tool that I learned to use to avoid dealing with my problems. For me, this is a very liberating realization and I?m hopeful because it was pretty easy to learn that booze made me feel strong and confident (to a degree) and in my mind, I know I?m a smart lady and can find other (more productive tools) to help me reclaim my life.

I?m smoking too much and consuming too much coffee but trying hard to drink healthy liquids and eat. I haven?t been posting much because chatting online and wine go hand in hand for me but I?ll check in daily for accountability. If I fall, this will be the first place I come?the support I have received here has been a true blessing! Thank you all! Anyway, I?m off to tackle my to-do list. I hope everyone is have a great AF day or at the very least seriously considering one.

Ciao for now? xo

The view from Day 5

oakley;1554903 wrote: If I fall, this will be the first place I come?the support I have received here has been a true blessing!
    You sound great, Oakley.

One thing -- if you're about to fall, come here FIRST! I bet someone here will help you change your mind about taking that drink!

:h NS

Comment

The view from Day 5

Deal NS! I'll do that!
      Off to get stuff done. Have a great day!

Comment

The view from Day 5

Oakley when you get back I hope you read this as I am on Day 5 today as well. I reckon today and tomorrow for me will be ok but am dreading Friday when I traditionally drink until I blackout. I have been drinking too much every day for a while but even in that scenario I still double it and go for the Friday blitz. This week I will stay in with a bottle of diet Pepsi or dr pepper and sweat it out. I expect the same Saturday and then have a business trip abroad, alone next week to face. That is another. Traditional excuse to get hammered which I will try to do dry for once. So if you want mutual support as our days are in sync, then I am here for ya!
        Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

The view from Day 5

Well done Oakley and Softy on your Day 5.

One day imo is a mountain so to have 5 days is fabulous.

Take care

Love Flossie xx
          Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

The view from Day 5

Perhaps I have come to truly understand that booze in and of itself is not my problem but merely a tool that I learned to use to avoid dealing with my problems. For me, this is a very liberating realization and I?m hopeful because it was pretty easy to learn that booze made me feel strong and confident (to a degree) and in my mind, I know I?m a smart lady and can find other (more productive tools) to help me reclaim my life.
            BRAVO!!!

Comment

The view from Day 5

Great stuff Oakley,

Keep it going friend!

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

The view from Day 5

Hi Oakly,

Your post is so timely for me! I'm just off work and was thinking how I would love to pop out on the back porch with a gin and tonic...it's record heat here in Seattle and my mind just went there!! :shocked:

I'd like to say that the weather alone is my trigger but it really is what you say.. My best/worst tool for coping with my problems has always been AL..trite but true.

Day Five is fantastic :goodjob: especially it the middle of a move. :l
                On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

The view from Day 5

Good Morning All...Day 6 is looking pretty good.

Softy: I hope you have a great day 6 and yes, let's be accountability partners. If you need to chat while sweating it out, let me know! We can do this!

Kradle: I know what you mean. Our triggers to drink aren't always stress and problems. We are so accustomed to drinking that any reason, like celebrating a sunny day, is cause enough for us to sip. Stay strong...stay busy...stay focused.

Comment

The view from Day 5

Day 6 feeling good here too! Got some good rocking tunes on the stereo and a pint of lemonade. Looking forward to another full nights sleep. Have realised this week that the feeling of waking up drowsy but clean is a bigger buzz than the alcohol buzz the night before.

Comment

The view from Day 5

Glad you are doing well Softy!
                      I have realized this week that I miss being alone in a quiet house at night after my boys are tucked in and taking the time to write poetry, read, listen to music...the things that feed my soul. In the past, I've been passed out within minutes of bedtime...if not before!

Keep up the good work!

Comment

The view from Day 5

Good man- keep it up - we're on the road to a better place

Comment

Working...
                        X