You thoughts, your choices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure I have posted something similar before, but indulge me. It's something I have been thinking about a lot over the last few days. Why did I struggle so much with cravings over the weekend? I forgot about my choices.

Oh, I made the choices about not giving in to my desperate cravings for cigarettes and alcohol. But I didn't practise what I preach to just about anyone who will listen to me everyday about internal choices. We get to choose our mood.

We get to choose how we feel about denying the cravings and not giving in. Does it feel, awful, like you are totally deprived and it's the end of an era. Do you feel sad, lonely, depressed, regretful?

Or do you rejoice in another hard fought victory to add to your armoury? Do you delight in the fact that you have kicked that bastard firmly in the arse once again and that no matter how hard he tried, you were strong, resilient, and very thankful for yet another day of the sobriety you are loving more as each day goes by? What a difference a change in outlook and internal language can make!

I forgot myself, the rules I live my life by, because I made the wrong choices when it came to handling my reaction to those cravings.

I coach people daily on these things, yet sometimes I forget! My best ally is myself, and I get to choose.

Yes there are regrets and realities about the damage we have done. They have to be recognised, acknowledged, dealt with. So deal with them and change things. Learn from the past, live for the future.

I choose the positives. AL was killing me slowly. I am happy, strong, healthy in spite of
    that demon. I look fantastic, I am firing on all cylinders physically and mentally, I am losing nothing and gaining everything. No one else can influence your mind, your mood, your attitude. These things are yours to own, no one else's..
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

This is great!! Really, such an amazing way to look at it. I had posted the other day...instead of saying I quit, I want to say I WON!!! Thank you for the reminder!

Comment

Nice post !

*Puts thread right into the MWO bookmark folder*

:goodjob: :thanks:
      Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
      AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Thanks BH. I really, really needed to hear this tonight. Great post.
        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

This is right on BH
          the other night I was outside gazing at the moon, thinking about how when I drank, I was unkind. It was not a beat myself up sort of thing, more a recognition I need to be kinder to my fellow persons while I'm still around in this short life. It was/is a good feeling. It is a choice that comes from remaining sober.
          Sam
          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

broken halo;1555039 wrote: I am sure I have posted something similar before, but indulge me. It's something I have been thinking about a lot over the last few days. Why did I struggle so much with cravings over the weekend? I forgot about my choices.

Oh, I made the choices about not giving in to my desperate cravings for cigarettes and alcohol. But I didn't practise what I preach to just about anyone who will listen to me everyday about internal choices. We get to choose our mood.

We get to choose how we feel about denying the cravings and not giving in. Does it feel, awful, like you are totally deprived and it's the end of an era. Do you feel sad, lonely, depressed, regretful?

Or do you rejoice in another hard fought victory to add to your armoury? Do you delight in the fact that you have kicked that bastard firmly in the arse once again and that no matter how hard he tried, you were strong, resilient, and very thankful for yet another day of the sobriety you are loving more as each day goes by? What a difference a change in outlook and internal language can make!

I forgot myself, the rules I live my life by, because I made the wrong choices when it came to handling my reaction to those cravings.

I coach people daily on these things, yet sometimes I forget! My best ally is myself, and I get to choose.

Yes there are regrets and realities about the damage we have done. They have to be recognised, acknowledged, dealt with. So deal with them and change things. Learn from the past, live for the future.

I choose the positives. AL was killing me slowly. I am happy, strong, healthy in spite of
            that demon. I look fantastic, I am firing on all cylinders physically and mentally, I am losing nothing and gaining everything. No one else can influence your mind, your mood, your attitude. These things are yours to own, no one else's..
            Thank you so much BH. :l

I need to play these CD's in my head instead of the endless eight track loop I have talking to me day and night. I am responsible for the air time I give to my thoughts. There is only so much room in there - I need to choose better...
            :h
            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
            X