End of Week 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Week 4

Here I am, Day 28 AF. Proud of myself. Watching what I eat. Been to the gym for a proper tough workout 12 out of the last 14 days. Know I am losing the pounds because a pair of trousers that have been in the wardrobe a year fitted this week so I was able to wear them in work. Tomorrow I will go to watch the football match and instead of going to the pub with the lads afterwards I will go straight home to watch the rugby league final on the telly. Big family Sunday lunch this week but I will drive so I know I can't be tempted to drink with it. So I have my plan. Keep fit, keep busy. My big treat to give me something to look forward to is to forget the diet and stuff my belly full of Sunday carvery. This time on a Friday I would normally be half pissed and going hard at completing the other half of the mission. This feels better. Keep on keeping on y'all!:h
    Last drink 6th September 2013

End of Week 4

Thanks for checking in Softy.
    Sounds like you've got you've got your weekend planned out nicely. Exactly the way to do it.
    You're doing just great, me lovely.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

End of Week 4

well done softy, you are doing so great! This way, you will be able to remember the football AND the rugby! Enjoy
      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

End of Week 4

You sound great, Softy. Keep going.
        Free at Last
        "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

End of Week 4

Thanks for the support folks, it really helps. Two more days then I've done a month off.

Comment

End of Week 4

Softy, I am curious. Are you thinking about going AF for a period of time, or trying to go AF for good? Or, perhaps, it is a process that in time you will come to decide upon.

For me, I started out with a goal of 30 days (back in Feb/March) and finally reached my goal in early May. But that 30 day goal proved to be a bit troublesome for me. I thought my life would be easier by then, and it wasn't. The craving continued. Now, I'm committed to living an AF life, but it very much is a daily adventure for me.

Glad to see your weekly updates.
            Free at Last

Comment

End of Week 4

That is the $ 64,000 question! Answer is that I just don't know. I started this process with the idea of having a break. I wrote in an earlier thread that I think it is inevitable I would drink again at some stage. In my head at the moment is a thought I had when drinking heavily in the summer that if I could just break free I would be able to make that decision with a clear head. Luckily taking one day at a time and having the comfort of not worrying about the long term I am doing ok. I had 90 days AF a couple of years ago and coped all the way through my mothers decline with Alzheimer's and her subsequent death, and funeral. I did that all AF. So I know I can cope without drink. I went back to moderate but quickly lost control. Whilst in the drinking cycle I visualised being in the position of being AF and being faced with the decision to have a drink or not. I know where it leads to and this spurs me to think that I would say No. But ODAT is the mantra. Early on in this spell I read in the toolbox about shifting from deprived thinking to grateful thinking. I think that sentence was the inspiration that may have flicked the light switch on for me and I now have a different mindset. I wake up and think "great I have been set free, I have been given a chance. Don't throw it away" the future is too big a problem to worry about so I park that topic for another time and focus on being happy I don't have to drink today.

I have the opportunity to be strong.....I am 46 ..30 years ago I was 16 and started to drink.....at 76 my mum got Alzheimer's and took two years to die... I have 30 years left until I hit the same age.. This is a huge thought that makes me focus and determined to enjoy what could be my second and last three decades...drinking may take that away from me.

Keep On Keeping On......odat is the only way for me....

Sorry for the ramblings, but you did ask!,, :H

Comment

End of Week 4

Hi Softy, I don't think you are rambling, but just sorting out your thinking. I asked because I saw your comment about it being inevitable that you would go back to drinking but you seem so pleased with your AF life right now. I remember your effort a couple of years ago because I was trying at the time to quit AL and logged onto MWO a fair bit. I've struggled with moderation in every which way and it always seems like I obsess MORE about alcohol than if I can just stop. period.

Here's to an AF weekend and the start of week 5 for you.

All best
                Free at Last

Comment

End of Week 4

I think we were cut from the same cloth you and I. Good luck to you and here's to us both staying strong:l

Comment

Working...
                  X