I finally did it - I quit smoking!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam - it's a completely different way. But very, very effective. I never thought I could quit. EVER. But if I can do it, anyone can. I promise you that. I'll PM you some info to pass along to your wife in the morning. Getting tired now. It's been a long day. Need to get off the computer for the night.
    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Hi Rose Im a long time smoker and I did try the Ecig but it really wasnt the same. It seemed harsh at times and made my food taste .. weird. It was probably the lack of tar and other carcinagens not zapping my taste buds though. I have the rechargo unit and I do use it from time to time like at the kids soccer games and such..Probably should hit it up more often though.

But big time congrats on the nic quit

I so badly want to quit but I just dont want it quite yet. I do roll my own so a pack is less than a buck. Yea 7 bucks a pack would make me quit but not a buck lol.
      Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
      AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Hey gambler - I totally understand. Lots of my friends are rolling their own, and saving tons of cash. I guess I was just ready. Plus, I got tired of being nagged by my sons. Neither smoke (Thank God!!), and both absolutely hate it. They are so proud of me. Now it would be hard to let them down. I did enough of that during my drinking years. Anyway, today is one week and a day tobacco free!!

As an aside, I see you are from SE Michigan. So am I. I live in Wisconsin now, but grew up on the west side of Detroit and lived in a few towns - Dearborn, Westland, and Livonia. I owned a home in Commerce Twp. right before moving out this way. It was still very rural when I lived there, but wow - it sure has built up since I left. In fact, I was just home for a visit a few weeks ago. Things may have changed, but I still miss my hometown.

Comment

Rose, well done! had given up the ciggies when I was sober, but I've been smoking again. Can you PM me also with what your doing please? Well done again
          Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Moss Rose that's fantastic news, another beast to battle with - and YOU did it!! Woohoo!! A freind of mine incidently had to give the booze and the fags up at the same time, which I thought was a bit hard core, but he said that each went with the other, and so with them both out of the way, it was slightly easier. I'm not a smoker, but havn't met one yet that dosn't want to stop, and is struggling to stop. Again, well done! xx

Comment

Hiyas Rose ..

Im actually not from Michigan..it was my X that was from here. I decided to move up here about 10 years ago at the request of her.

There was one time many moons ago that I stopped cold turkey without even wanting to. Basically I was walking with my Father and he just looked over and said " You know son..those things really are not your friend." I looked back and that was it. I quit without any withdraws or anything..just stopped right then and there. Then one day I snapped and got me a pack-o-smokes and started drinking again within 10 minutes. Got me

A week is Very good. There is a website forum kinda like this but for Nics. I will try to find it again and let you know ..
              Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran

Comment

okay Gambler - I have to laugh. I may be nostalgic for my hometown, but very few people CHOOSE to move to Detroit. haha. You are a brave man!! When you told us the story about your dad, and how you were able to just quit, I couldn't help thinking about how amazing the power of love is. In my case, I have to say, it was my sons pleading with me to quit. I think when my oldest said to me..."Mom, I want you at my wedding one day, and to know my kids..." Well, that was it for me. He was right. I had no defense. But as I said before, I was ready. Been smoking since I was a stupid teenager. aarrrgh.

edited to add: and that was a long time ago.

Comment

Congrats MR!

Quit smoking myself shortly after I quit my wine habit. It was much harder for me to quit smoking, partly because I had smoked for so long. The arrival of the first grandchild is what finally pushed me into quitting for good

Join Quit Smoking All Together: the Web's Largest Quit Smoking Community
                  It's a forum, not unlike this one. It counts your days & your savings in money & lifetime saved - pretty cool

Keep up the good work!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

MossRose;1567871 wrote: okay Gambler - I have to laugh. I may be nostalgic for my hometown, but very few people CHOOSE to move to Detroit. haha. You are a brave man!!
                    Well Rose it was like this .. Ive never been to Michigan and there are boats here ( I work on boats ) oh and its just north of Detroit. No way I would move into the city lol.

I found that site .. its here No Smoking Day Stop Smoking Forum

I dont know how many members there are compared to Lavs link but check it out if you wish.

Lav .. I think its going to be harder for me to quit smokes than AL for me as well.

Comment

Thanks for the links Lav and Gambler. Yes - quitting smoking was harder than AL. Go figure. But every day, my lungs and checkbook thank me. And my sons hug me a little bit tighter I promise to pm everyone who asked me for info. I was busy this weekend, which is odd, but nice. I liked it a lot.

Comment

I've quit smoking a million times too. Once for 82 days in a row! Once for over 40. A couple times for 30+. Why I would ever start again is beyond me.

Moss - I tried once with the eCigs and it was ok, but I felt like I was still "pretending" to smoke. The routine of going outside is what I really need to break...I'm not really addicted to the nicotine. Well...try and try again. You are doing great though!!!
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

k9 - I hear ya. I have smoked for so many years that I honestly couldn't imagine life without it. Truthfully, giving up AL was easier - and that was definitely no picnic.

I too have tried e-cigs in the past without success. But I was using over-the-counter brands. This time I found a true artist. This young man blended a perfect, satisfying juice for me. It was quite the process. I was in there for over an hour while he worked with me. We tested and then tested again, and by the time I left, I felt pretty confident that I could do this. So yes, I am still "pretending" to smoke, but less and less every day for some reason. Nic has never really been my problem either. It's the "hand-to-mouth" addiction that is so hard to break. I'm determined not to replace smoking with vaping. That would be unacceptable and not my goal.

However, when I feel an overwhelming urge to smoke, I hit my e-cig a couple of times and that's good enough. I am actually feeling better already. But if you made it 82 days (wow-I'm impressed), then you know what I mean. Plus, I have saved so much money just in the past ten days that I bought myself a beautiful bracelet with a "magical" stone that is supposed to help with addiction , oh, and a bouquet of flowers. I decided that I never got flowers or jewelry when I was married, so what the heck

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like one of "those" ex-smoker. Heaven help me, I vowed to never be that way. LOL

So the plan is to step down off the e-cigs within a month or two. I'll keep you posted. I just hope this is the time that actually takes.

Comment

Electronic cigarettes are non-flammable products that use state of the art micro-electronic technology which provides smokers a real smoking experience without the fire, flame, tobacco, tar, carbon monoxide, ash, stub or smell found in real cigarettes.
                            esmoking 101

Comment

esmoking;1569054 wrote: Electronic cigarettes are non-flammable products that use state of the art micro-electronic technology which provides smokers a real smoking experience without the fire, flame, tobacco, tar, carbon monoxide, ash, stub or smell found in real cigarettes.
                              Thanks for the advertisement.

Moss - You are doing great. I say to do whatever it takes! My smoking pattern is so weird...I can go days, weeks, even a month, then BAM I start again for NO REASON...just because. I wish I could take that little piece out of my brain. When I broke my foot in June I went about a month because hobbling outside on crutches was just too much work. Days and days passed and I didn't even think of smoking. Now here I am, trying to quit again. Maybe I over think it.....when I was home on the couch with my foot up it didn't even cross my mind. Our darn brains are so complicated. LOL

Anyway, keep up the great work...I will be joining you on the smoke out starting Saturday...my 41st birthday...this time for good (or so I keep saying. LOL)
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X