Thank goodness for Antabuse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...because I'd sure as hell be drinking right now if I wasn't on it. The crazy part of my head wishes I could drink, the sensible side is relieved that the choice has been taken away from me.

Hi, Lisa

Nice to meet you .

If you keep at it long enough, one day you'll switch from being sad you can't drink to grateful that you don't need to.

All the best to you! NS

Comment

No use in wishing for something you can't have huh? That's the beauty of Antabuse, it removes the possibility of drinking, therefore freeing up your mind to focus on other things. There have been days where I cursed myself out for taking the pill, but my reasonable side took over and told me I did the right thing. The temporary "enjoyment" of drinking does not equal the misery it creates.

Hang in there, it does get easier!
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Is this the "AB" I've seen referred to in the nest? Kept askin but no one answered.
        10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Hi I'm! Yes, we refer to Antabuse as AB. And AL means Alcohol...not Alabama! :H

Comment

I've been taking Antabuse off and on for over a year now. But now I'm just "on" so I'm not tempted to drink at all. It's so mush easier to pop that little pill every day than to deal with the struggles of "should I drink? how about just one? I can start back tomorrow" crazy stuff in my head. With AB, it's a done deal - bam. YOU CAN'T DRINK.

Comment

I am so thankful for ab. Hubby swears by it now. No mind chatter. Just knowing you don't have a choice lets you move on with more important things.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Yeah, it's true - you have no option to drink, therefore you can't. Hasn't stopped me wanting to today though! But, another day almost over & another day free of the poison.

Comment

I'm a fan of AB as well. It really does work if you just take that little pill each day.

Comment

I don't know much about AB, do you have to take it for good or do you taper off it at some point? Glad it is working so well for you guys, do whatever it takes!
                    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

There's no tapering involved - you either take it or you don't. My crazy side was telling me this morning not to take it, even though I know I'll have to wait a few weeks before I'd dare to drink, but thankfully my sensible side told the crazy side to shut the **** up & I took it. I'll be cursing myself later for taking it, but thank goodness I do because otherwise I'd be off my face as soon as it was safe to.
                      I'm hoping that once I've got a month or so behind me & I'm starting to break away from my old habits, that the urge to drink might lessen a bit & it won't occupy my mind so much.

Comment

mlisa;1569615 wrote: ...because I'd sure as hell be drinking right now if I wasn't on it. The crazy part of my head wishes I could drink, the sensible side is relieved that the choice has been taken away from me.
                        That is where I am. It takes the choice away. I love it.

:welcome:

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

[QUOTE=mlisa;1569941]There's no tapering involved - you either take it or you don't. My crazy side was telling me this morning not to take it, even though I know I'll have to wait a few weeks before I'd dare to drink, but thankfully my sensible side told the crazy side to shut the **** up & I took it. I'll be cursing myself later for taking it, but thank goodness I do because otherwise I'd be off my face as soon as it was safe to.
                          I'm hoping that once I've got a month or so behind me & I'm starting to break away from my old habits, that the urge to drink might lessen a bit & it won't occupy my mind so much.[/QUOTE]

I hope so for you, too. In my case, once I start drinking again, all bets are off. I am right back where I left off.
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I'm the same Cinders. I either drink, or, thanks to AB, I don't drink. I don't think there'll ever be any middle ground for me. I just hope once I find other things to occupy my mind with over time, I won't be spending all my time obsessing about drinking, the fact that I can't drink, the fact that I want to drink, maybe just a few for a special occasion....& on the crazy chatter goes!

Comment

Lisa - The chatter will quiet down, just be patient. Remember that we didn't get to this point overnight, so there's no way we can heal overnight either. Most of us took years to get to this bad, so we can't expect a sudden miracle. You're mind is conditioned to drink right now because that's what you've done for so long. When you quit drinking your mind will recondition itself to other things. Believe me, I thought I'd never get to the point where AL wasn't my main focus, but I did. Just believe in yourself...you CAN do this! :l

Comment

Working...
                              X