Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting for my husband

My Luck,
    My Dad had pancreatitis a few years ago. I believe it was related to drinking. I don't know if he's been completely AF, but in the last two years, he's not drank like he used to. It's not something to mess with! Hope he heals quickly.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Quitting for my husband

My luck you can try to help him face reality but he has to take some of that responsibility on himself. Look after you.
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Quitting for my husband

Thank you NoAlcohol - I am determined to be AF myself regardless what he does ( and he is good so far) - I declared my house AF zone and he said ok for that - all alcohol is gone and feels great.
        AF since 10/20/2013
        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
        Meat free since 09/20/2008
        ---------------------------------------
        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Quitting for my husband

Myluck call me June! That's a great start, removing the AL from the house. Have you found some alternative drinks? I found i wanted something in a glass or mug all the time at first, not so much now though. It's a habit really. I once did a hypnosis thing for dieting and it said "you will only drink between meals when thirsty and then you will only drink water" radical eh? LOL!
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Quitting for my husband

June - it is strange I have no cravings - I wanted to quit for good for a long time but my hubby always was derailing me and my attempts. Is it strange or what? I just drink water and I am totally ok with that. I was more worried about unavoidable social gathering where everybody are drinking. Do you think alcohol free beer is ok?
            AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Quitting for my husband

Myluck I think you need to do whatever works for you. I wasn't a beer drinker, I liked wine, but AF wine just made me feel awkward and scared I would want the real thing. (had it once since I quit). Are you thinking for yourself or for hubby? For me the action of drinking from a wine glass sort of made me feel all out of sorts. It was easier for me to just not pretend. That said, my Dad quit and drank AF beer and tonic water (on its own) for years.
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

Quitting for my husband

June - I was a brandy and wine drinker - beer was not my thing. I just thought to keep something AF in the house in case the craving strikes - so I can grab it.
                AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Quitting for my husband

Your call. I found it worse pretending. I'd rather have a mint tea, green tea, hot chocolate or if it's warm out cranberry and soda or an iced tea.
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

Quitting for my husband

My luck,
                    That is a hard call. Sometimes drinking af beer can create more cravings for some but others it helps. I do think the is a small amount of al in the non al beer. But I do love to drink non al drinks out of a wine glass just because I like them and. they are just prettier and adds some kind of sophistication. Stupid? Maybe. But I like the selzers in a wine glass.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Quitting for my husband

Well, today we went to GI doctor and it went really well. The doctor said my husband's pancreas is bouncing back really well and he said that it actually an organ that can regenerate itself to complete heeling. He said to my husband " NO AL" period, whatsoever. He must said it 10 times. It was such a music to my ears - I was afraid he will not say anything like that. Yay!!! I am so happy.
                      AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Quitting for my husband

I'm pleased to hear your husband is recovering well and hope the shock of the illness will help his resolve to not drink. At first you can't see the wood for the trees and then it all becomes clear... Even after a few short weeks. X
                        AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Quitting for my husband

So this story continues...last night I had a dream - for the first time since we became AF - that we are drinking - actually in my dream I saw we were at some party and my husband grabbed a glass of champagne - I was devastated in my dream trying to yell - stop, we are not drinking and I remember being mad at him. So it was more a nightmare.. . So I told my husband about it in the morning - guess what had said - we will be able to drink champagne one day! What!???? I was first so stressed about it and now I decided yet not to sweat it.
                          AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Working...
                          X