The Addictive Personality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. this is one of the best books i have read, despite the focus on 12 steps.

i saw myself in quite a bit of it.

Comment

Squeaky Clean:

Yes, that is the book I am reading that I'm finding very helpful.
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Allie: I especially liked that we have become unskilled at the"how-to" of creating a joyful & meaningful life. I feel so stifled by my dependence on alcohol to bail me out of unpleasantness (which it doesn't in the long run). I feel like I'm losing my ability to live life properly wo/some sort of "help" from alcohol.
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

It does make sense. We have learned that alcohol is a 'quick fix'. That's why we become not only physically but psychologically dependent on it. We KNOW that it will, almost without fail, do the trick everytime! it's a guaranteed mood-number/pick me up for a short time etc. So we have lost (in a sense) the ability to find joy elsewhere - why did we need to? We found a guaranteed source of pleasure. This is why it's so hard to stop the cycle.
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Reteacher: I so agree!! I just never saw it that way. I never saw a LOT of things the way I see them now. It is really helping me separate ME from the ADDICT.

Allie
            What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

i looked up that book End your addiction now on the amazon site.

did you see that two reviewers point out that this guy was disbarred from the medical profession? lost his ability to practice as a doctor?

Comment

I don't about the book you folks have been talking about, but it sounds great. I will order it tomorrow.
                As one with way too many years of experience with alcoholism, I really relate to what you are saying - drinking and alcoholism robs us of so much - but it certainly robs us of our ability to just have fun in simple things - what a terrible tragedy. Let's all just kick this demon out of our lives so we can enjoy our kids, our loved ones, and oh yes, even ourselves.
                I love you all.
                Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

I ordered it online yesterday. Can't wait to read it. Thanks everyone.

Julie

Comment

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations - both book and the amino acid therapy - I've just ordered it!- apart from looking to understand my own personality more, I see the same traits in my daughter so I want to help her understand herself before she heads down the same road...
                    :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                    Goals:
                    Days 1-7 DONE
                    Days 8-14 DONE
                    Days 15-21 DONE
                    30 days DONE
                    60 days
                    100 days

Comment

Working...
                    X