Mood-altering addict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mood-altering addict

I've been reading The Addictive Personality by Craig Nakken. What I most identified w/is my addiction to alcohol as a reliable mood-altering substance. I think that's how I got addicted in the first place. I had stress & kept using alcohol to relieve it. The bad relationship as a reliable mood-alterer formed & has progressed to become a permanent solution to any uncomfortable feelings. Of course, the alcohol causes more upset than real life can dish out. Today, something upsetting happened. The FIRST thing I thought about was having a drink. There's nothing in the house, so I couldn't. I worked through the feelings & came out the other side. I know I can do it. It's just so much "easier" to have that drink.
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mood-altering addict

RE, Eventually you realise that alcohol actually makes it worse in the long run, but until you realise that for yourself you struggle to stop/moderate .....

I've had a tough week and 6 months ago I would have been drinking to change my mood, but now I can say NO, because I realise that it only prolongs the pain ...

Thanks for posting this ....
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Mood-altering addict

I can only agree with you. when you think about having that drink, it always feels like it's going to change your feelings or solve the problems you are experiencing.
      Then you realize you're still in pain.

why do we keep doing it?
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Mood-altering addict

because it works. it's almost effortless (at first) and then we become slaves to this convenience...isn't it interesting?
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mood-altering addict

I need so much to see this: especially from those of you that have longer term sobriety. Betty: You're so right. The alcohol only makes matters worse. It is especially damaging to my self-esteem. The day after a binge, I feel so down on myself. I've only been sober 2 days in a row right now, but I feel so much better about myself. I'm not walking around w/guilt & shame. I can deal w/the problems, feelings, & conflicts that arise.
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Mood-altering addict

retteacher
            i really don't know if that is how to spell your name - sorry if I got it wrong.
            Anyhow, you have already proved that you can do it and that you feel much better when you are AF than when you are trying to drown your problems. They don't drown. Liquid relief never drowns them. It only makes them worse. The longer you stay AF, the stronger and happier you will get. It's never easy, but it is always worth the pain.
            You are way ahead of the struggle - keep posting and keep inspiring us!!
            :goodjob:
            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Mood-altering addict

someone said to me once ' i tried to drown my sorrows but found that they could swim'

that's really the crux of it I guess else we'd all just carry on.
              Keep going reeteacher - you'll get there
              Love Bean x

Comment

Working...
              X