nervous and looking for support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new: I am 46, a stay at home mom, with two beautiful teenage girls. They are the love of my life and I am letting them down - I am ashamed of my drinking and how it affects my family and my non-existent life. I function during the day, but at night all I do is drink. At first, it makes me happy and then I lose control and feel like such crap in the morning when I really wanted today to be different. I realize I can't try to stop on my own - but I need to. I want a life back. I am hoping that actually stating to someone that I have a problem with alcohol will make a difference.

Hi there, welcome to MWO.
    You've come to the right place! Many of us could have written your post.
    Have you checked out the Newbies Nest and the Toolbox? They are great threads to start on and the newbies nest is usually quite active.
    Wishing you all the best. :h
    AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Welcome aboard. I am 46 year old male stay at home alkie (I stay in now instead of going to the pub!)

You are in good hands here if it is support you are after

The people here are wonderful and helped me more than I could say
      Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

hello there. Glad to have you aboard, acknowledgement on your part is a big step!! Please check out the nest as advised.
        Hope to see you over there
        Sam
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

iwalnod - I am not a stay at home mom...but I too am a nightly drinker. I can function throughout the day, my kids are well taken care of and my house is always clean. I can even fold laundry with a wine glass but the next day I don't remember doing the last of the laundry. This is a great place to me.... welcome
          Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

IWALNAD Welcome. you'll find a whole host of folks here with a story similar to your's. I myself was a bottle of vodka a night drinker all the while hiding it from my family and friends. With a lot of help from the kind folks at MWO I've been able to remain AF for nearly 100 days. That's the longest I've been AF in 30 years!

Yes it will seem nearly impossible at first but taking it one day at a time and reaching out through this forum when you feel at your weakest can and will make a difference. You'll also find that if you stumble there will be good people here that, with a gentle hand, will right you on your feet. ( there are a few that will also gently kick you in the butt when you need it). You will soon hear from Byrd Lady, K9 lover, lav, Allan Kay and a few more senior members. Listen to them they have been through it all and have come out the other side stronger and certainly full of resolve. They know what they are talking about.

Welcome and good luck
            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

:welcome:

In case you haven't come across them yet, the links to the nest and the toolbox are given below.

You've come to a great place to get this done!

Comment

Hey, just wanted to add my welcome to the rest! Admitting to yourself that you have a problem is a hard thing to do, but very worthwhile. If you don't acknowledge the problem, how can you fix it?

Well done for taking that first step. Welcome again, we are all in the same boat here, so don't worry, you are among friends and like minded people! We all want the same thing, to get this beast off our backs for good! :welcome:
                Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Welcome Inwalid, you've come to the best place ever for support and good, solid advice. Post often and come daily if you can. Controlling your reactions to your cravings is doable; It's the toughest thing to do but well worth it.

Hope to see you on the boards.
                  "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                  Lao-Tzu

Comment

Iwalid - I have 18 year old daughter and I can share your guilt about letting your girls down. But you came to the right place and you took the first step by admitting the issue you having. Welcome and try to do your best. Post often and read posts.
                    AF since 10/20/2013
                    Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                    Meat free since 09/20/2008
                    ---------------------------------------
                    With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

iwalnad;1580691 wrote: :new: I am 46, a stay at home mom, with two beautiful teenage girls. They are the love of my life and I am letting them down - I am ashamed of my drinking and how it affects my family and my non-existent life. I function during the day, but at night all I do is drink. At first, it makes me happy and then I lose control and feel like such crap in the morning when I really wanted today to be different. I realize I can't try to stop on my own - but I need to. I want a life back. I am hoping that actually stating to someone that I have a problem with alcohol will make a difference.
                      Hello I want a life not a drink .. hope things are well for you. Im 43, working dad, with two parts of my soul in little boys bodies. I know how you feel..I kinda gave up and said screw it at one point. You are aware of your feelings and that is something that can be a great ally for you. Yes you can stop and yes you will get your life back. They say live life in the moment .. sobriety is only a moment away. I would think that stating something gives it more power so yes .. it will make a difference but what difference does it make is up to you.

Check the place out .. you might find what your looking for.

Dave
                      Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
                      AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you so much for the encouraging words - I totally relate to the laundry part, funny but not really I have read about being abstinent for 30 days and I can't imagine that being me, a day is hard, but I am very glad I found this forum and will really try and use the tools and support here - it is such a strange feeling actually talking about my drinking - It is scary but I feel a huge sense of relief.

Comment

iwalnad - welcome. I'm so glad you are here. I'm another one who always "took care of business" during the day, and then drank myself silly at night. You have come to a good place. I never thought I could go 24 hours without a drink, but here I am - doing it!! It still even amazes me, but it is such a good feeling. You can do it too. We are here for you. So post often - post honestly. I know how scary that sounds, but it really helps. xx
                          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Hi, Iwalnad:

I am new here, too. Today is day 2 for me. I am 47 and a mother of two sons. Although I do most of my drinking on weekends after they have gone to bed, they are part of my motivation to make this work. When my now freshman son (age 14) starts going out, I know that I need to be awake and alert to support him at any time of day.

I spent a lot of time looking at the tool box - I recommend its wisdom. Start with Byrdie's "Making a Plan" on page 31 and go from there. Let's do this together!

Comment

Hi and welcome! We're close in age, and I know exactly how you're feeling. You will get lots of support here, and people will understand you. We all have our AL problems, and learning how to deal with the struggles is easy when you have the right tools. Quitting for me is easy. Staying quit is not. That's what I'm here for. To stay quit! We can do this.
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X