End of Week 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Week 9

And what a difficult week it has been. But here on Day 63 I am glad I haven't given in to the conditioning I have experienced all my life which means I reach for a drink when over stressed, feeling down and depression sets in.

This time I am fighting back, with the help of the MWO Massive (and MASSIVE people with MASSIVE hearts they have proved to be)

I have a long way to go to feel better, but I can step back and be mindful of what's happening. That is a huge step forward which I am clinging to.

I can only say :thanks: and be grateful.

Grateful I am accepted here, grateful I don't have to drink, grateful I still have a chance to beat these waves of low mood rather than cave in a drink until the pain is dulled. The pain always came back after drinking before. It is the definition of madness to do the same thing and expect a different outcome, so if I drink, it will lead to a worse place than I am in now. Today may not feel great, but tomorrow there is a chance it could feel better. If I have a hangover I will minimise that small chance of hope.

Keep On Keeping On, no matter how hard it is.:h
    Last drink 6th September 2013

End of Week 9

You're doing the best you can, Softy, and it is much better than it ever would be if you took a drink. To stick with this without the "boosts" that so many people feel when they quit drinking must be tough. It is good you are a strong and committed man :l.

Comment

End of Week 9

Awesome job, Softy! And you are so right. If we drink, we can guarantee that we'll feel worse tomorrow. You are doing a great job, I hope I can rack up so many days!

Have a healthy weekend, Softy.

Ann

Comment

End of Week 9

I'm in awe of you man, just amazing. I'm only on Day 2 but I've quit before (well, tried many times) and I know that hard days are just around the corner. 9 weeks is incredible x

Comment

End of Week 9

I posted last week a quote along the lines of "nothing worth having ever comes easy" but god only knows how hard it has been this week, more so than any of the first 8 weeks. Day 2 is the toughest of the lot though IMO so hang in there.:goodjob:

Comment

End of Week 9

Glad you're hanging tough. Drinking does make me feel down, too.
            8 weeks is really something to celebrate. You are giving yourself the best gift. Life.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

End of Week 9

Softy, congrats on a great achievement- 8 weeks. You are my inspiration! Keep up good work
              AF since 10/20/2013
              Smoke free since 09/24/2007
              Meat free since 09/20/2008
              ---------------------------------------
              With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

End of Week 9

Softy;1582421 wrote: And what a difficult week it has been. But here on Day 63 I am glad I haven't given in to the conditioning I have experienced all my life which means I reach for a drink when over stressed, feeling down and depression sets in.

This time I am fighting back, with the help of the MWO Massive (and MASSIVE people with MASSIVE hearts they have proved to be)

I have a long way to go to feel better, but I can step back and be mindful of what's happening. That is a huge step forward which I am clinging to.

I can only say :thanks: and be grateful.

Grateful I am accepted here, grateful I don't have to drink, grateful I still have a chance to beat these waves of low mood rather than cave in a drink until the pain is dulled. The pain always came back after drinking before. It is the definition of madness to do the same thing and expect a different outcome, so if I drink, it will lead to a worse place than I am in now. Today may not feel great, but tomorrow there is a chance it could feel better. If I have a hangover I will minimise that small chance of hope.

Keep On Keeping On, no matter how hard it is.:h
                Well Done Softy! I'm sorry this week was tough for you. Any idea on what was causing some of this week's angst, that maybe could be avoided later? You're right - drinking only postpones the pain. Definitely not a solution, just a distraction masked as one. Stay strong man! You're doing the right thing by continuing to post here and getting it out versus keeping things inside.
                Congrats on 9 weeks! :goodjob:

Comment

End of Week 9

Thanks for the remark about there being a chance of a better day if there is no hangover - that saying will now be a part of my personal tool box. I tend to really want to drink when I am having a bad/down day. Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Comment

End of Week 9

Softy;1582421 wrote: Keep On Keeping On, no matter how hard it is.:h
                    You know .. I remember us both using that term back when I joined. Softly..you are an epitome of "Keeping on Keeping On" :l

My hats off to you ..

Dave.
                    Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
                    AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

End of Week 9

You know .. I remember us both using that term back when I joined. Softly..you are an epitome of "Keeping on Keeping On" :l

My hats off to you ..

Dave.

Good on you Dave we deserve a bit of self congratulation

Comment

End of Week 9

Hi Softy. Nine weeks is quite the accomplishment. I know it hasn't always been easy, but you are hanging in there. So yes, a pat on the back is definitely in order. You have certainly earned it!
                        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Working...
                        X