My thoughts after 20 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are my thoughts after 20 days...... nothing profound, but my reflection on what is working is giving me the strength to go forward to my next goal of making it to December 31.

1/ The cravings are temporary...... they will go away. Have a plan in place when they hit, a walk, clean the house, my way out forums, etc. Know exactly what you will do when they hit, before they hit.

2/ Know your trigger times. Mine are between 5:00 and 7:00 pm every day. If I can get past this time, the rest is easy.

3/ Create comfort alternatives, I now spend my booze money on candles, exotic tea and speciality coffee... I will deal with those addictions later ..... somehow I think those addictions will be easier to break.

4/ Limit your social outings until you can handle them without booze. For me, I am trying to learn how to be relaxed and enjoy myself without alcohol. My first social outing consisted of my friends wanting to know what was wrong. I wasn't the loud, fun guy that liked to party. I am learning how to socialize without booze and feel good about it. This is big for me.

5/ Your true friends will support you.... your "booze" friends will feel intimidated.

6/ You will sleep better.... after a few weeks of withdrawal, you will start to sleep better and feel rested.

7/ Create new hobbies, or restart old ones. This will give you pleasurable things to do when you have idle time. I am learning to play classical guitar.

8/ Post your daily success on Newbies Nest Roll call. I look forward to sharing my success every day with other people on the same journey. There is something about celebrating success whether it is weekly, daily or hourly.

Thanks for reading.......

Jim
    I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Love ted talks. I am going to watch the one you posted when I have alone time.

Your post is great, Bravo on 20!

Comment

Great post Jim.

Congratulations on day 20. Keep it going friend.

Greg.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Very wise post Jim- thanks for sharing and big well done on 20 days

Best wishes xx

Comment

Good post, Jim!
          AF since 10/20/2013
          Smoke free since 09/24/2007
          Meat free since 09/20/2008
          ---------------------------------------
          With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Congratulations on 20 days of success, Jim!

I've become Brene Brown-obsessed and have watched several of her videos and read her books. She has another TED talk on shame that also is very good.

Keep doing what you're doing !

Comment

Working...
            X